Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina AT-X 2.5/90mm "The Bokina II"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A bit of purple fringing with the Tokina, which can be fixed easily enough, but they appear to be very close in terms of sharpness.

I've said this before, but you can't correct longitudinal CA or purple fringing when it's superimposed on your main subject (in case of macro shots). When you try to desatureate it you mess up the subject as well... This, and the glow makes the Tokina less usable wide open.

Not that you'd shoot scenes like this very often, but I think the Tokina wouldn't look as good here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/810600/7#7736422 Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is quite scarce on ebay and basicly everywhere else, I've never seen one in several times I looked recently. Is this because it was made in a small number of copies or because the people don't ever think of selling theirs? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
This lens is quite scarce on ebay and basicly everywhere else, I've never seen one in several times I looked recently. Is this because it was made in a small number of copies or because the people don't ever think of selling theirs? Twisted Evil

Keep looking! I sold three of them already on Ebay. Kept one and will never sell that on Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:

Keep looking! I sold three of them already on Ebay. Kept one and will never sell that on Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may sell mine some time, but it's an unconverted FD version (so close-up/macro only). That also means the price will be pretty low of course. Wink
I have to to try some replacements first though (I have one or two in mind).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
A bit of purple fringing with the Tokina, which can be fixed easily enough, but they appear to be very close in terms of sharpness.

I've said this before, but you can't correct longitudinal CA or purple fringing when it's superimposed on your main subject (in case of macro shots). When you try to desatureate it you mess up the subject as well... This, and the glow makes the Tokina less usable wide open.

I agree about the glow, but I'm not sure I'm in complete agreement with your comments regarding CA. So I d/l'd your Opel badge comparision and tried the one-click purple fringe fix in Paint Shop Pro. And got this:

If you zoom in to 200% or so you can still see a tiny amount of purple fringing, but it's gone for all practical purposes.

Or was I misunderstanding your original comment? Because the above was what I meant about getting rid of the purple fringing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Or was I misunderstanding your original comment? Because the above was what I meant about getting rid of the purple fringing.

Yeah, it's gone there and that's indeed an example where PF correction can actually be done basically non-destructively. I was talking about LoCA in macro shots however, where the CA is spread out over a larger area. which includes the subject and/or coloured background which you don't want to desaturate.
I must say though that this has played up more strongly when I was using the Tokina on a crop camera (40D) -- it's better on my 5D.

I'll see if I can turn up a few shots from my 40D that demonstrate what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
I was talking about LoCA in macro shots however, where the CA is spread out over a larger area. which includes the subject and/or coloured background which you don't want to desaturate.

Okay, I follow you. In fact, I have run into this sort of thing before, but it wasn't really caused by the lens in my case. It was a quirk of the film, or perhaps the scanner, where backlit subjects -- tree branches in winter -- took on a red tinge. It was extremely difficult getting rid of this. Paint Shop Pro also has a CA correction filter where you can zero in on exactly what color you want removed, but if there is any of that color in an area of the photo you don't want messed with, well, too bad! Cool I guess you're talking more about that sort of situation, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may need your advices
I am planning to convert an FD AT-X to EF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Swappo wrote:
How does the Tokina 90/2.5 compare to the Tamron 90/2.5?

I guess 10 test will give 10 differents results
as much as lens variation or personal bias
here are test from respected french 'chasseur d' Images'
centre is center - bord is border
acceptable -good - very good - excellent
moyen - bon - tres bon - excellent

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/par12345/ci-tok90-25.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/par12345/ci-tam90-25.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/par12345/ci-kiron105-28.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/par12345/ci-nik-105-28.jpg

the tamron in impressive !

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. After reading this a other posts about this lens, I finally managed to buy one in mint condition at ebay. It's a FD mount one and I use it on a nex-6 with an adapter. Here are my first shots, just for checking. Hopefully I'll learn more about using it and will improve the results, but it's quite amazing:

_DSC5861 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5842 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5852 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5790 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5860 por Jetulio, en Flickr

Regards

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetulio wrote:
Hi. After reading this a other posts about this lens, I finally managed to buy one in mint condition at ebay. It's a FD mount one and I use it on a nex-6 with an adapter. Here are my first shots, just for checking. Hopefully I'll learn more about using it and will improve the results, but it's quite amazing:

_DSC5861 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5842 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5852 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5790 por Jetulio, en Flickr

_DSC5860 por Jetulio, en Flickr

Regards

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEX is a very good camera to use with this lens. Do you have the CA control option enabled in your NEX? I find it amazing how well it works; it has made several of my lenses nearly perfect.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The NEX is a very good camera to use with this lens. Do you have the CA control option enabled in your NEX? I find it amazing how well it works; it has made several of my lenses nearly perfect.

Aha, the CA... maybe. Sorry about my ignorance, but, what is that? Embarassed I use the focus peaking option but it works for me better the MF assist.

Pancolart, thanks for uploading my photos properly, as I'm having problems to insert them and don't know why.

Regards

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetulio wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Aha, the CA... maybe. Sorry about my ignorance, but, what is that? Embarassed I use the focus peaking option but it works for me better the MF assist.

Pancolart, thanks for uploading my photos properly, as I'm having problems to insert them and don't know why.

Regards

Is it maybe a Color Aberration correction? I always use RAW files, so I think that doesn't affect, does it?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetulio wrote:
jetulio wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Regards

Is it maybe a Color Aberration correction? I always use RAW files, so I think that doesn't affect, does it?

Chromatic aberration.

For example: When there is contrasting colour like a branch in front of the blue sky look for a bluish tinge along the edge of the tree branch.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you don't know what it is, you aren't experiencing it, which suggests your camera has the option set to on. I don't recall where in the menu it is and I would have to search for it, but if you browse through the settings, you'll find it. I think it is on for raw as well, but can't be absolutely sure. I have tried to use raw and have done some reading about processing raw, but I can't get as good an image from raw as the jpg from the camera - with some minor Photoshop adjustments; mostly contrast.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it!

_DSC5842 por Jetulio, no Flickr

Very Happy

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have the lester dine kiron 105mm f2.8 macro lens and I have tested/used it at both infinity and macro ranges.
I found it to be very sharp, very little CA, and excellent contrast and flare resistance.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: A quick Saturday Zeiss 100 2 against Tokina 90 2.5 shootout Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A quick Saturday Zeiss 100 2 against Tokina 90 2.5 shoot Reply with quote

for some reason your pics are not displayed for me I get links only

bernhardas wrote:
To my eyes the Zeiss has the slightly deeper color saturation specifically the blacks of the lens.
However the Tokina keeps up very well in the sharpness department.
The bokeh is nice in both.

(Both shot with Hood)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP90mm F2.5

All taken handheld without any PP... few on very cloudy day and few late in the evening.

100% crops:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my Bokina out today ! This lens always delivers. I love it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one, with the ladybug, blows my mind...The complementary contrast of the red and the green is just freqking awesome!
I lift my hat for this one Wink
Cheers Timo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
The last one, with the ladybug, blows my mind...The complementary contrast of the red and the green is just freqking awesome!
I lift my hat for this one Wink
Cheers Timo

Agreed, awesome composition.