Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 35-70 info needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Tokina 35-70 info needed Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about these Tokina lenses:

Tokina 35-70/2.8 ATX
Tokina 35-70/4 SZ

i have found an ad from a seller that has Tokina 35-70 for sale, for a small amount, and claims that he is a totally ignorant when lenses are in question, he doesn't know how to read maximum aperture from the lens, doesn't even know for what camera this lens is. I'll go and see it tomorrow and if it is by any chance Nikon mount, I might consider buying it.

I'm curious about what reputation each of these lens have? is there an autofocus Tokina 35-70? ATX? f2.8 or f4 or f3.5-4.5? the price is really ok, I don't know what to expect and it will be evening with not a lot of chance to try the lens in low lights. to avoid? good quality?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not my experience but based on review
take the 2.8, it's a good lens, only need to be closed 2 stop for good border
the 4 is older, it have a good reputation but it is not good as the 2.8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.

SZ is amateur model and ATX is pro model, right? are both manual, or is there AF ATX 35-70/2.8?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the review (1986) it is the tokina 35-70 f4 SMZ who is older than the tokina 35-70 f2.8AT-X. Both manual lenses.
Search on ebay, you will find lot of tokina 35-70 manual & AF starting at 5 euros
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it turns out I didn't read the ad carefully. it IS AT-X version. that means f/2.8. if it turns out to be for Nikon, I'll take it. the price is nice.

any links on photos taken with it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanJ wrote:
it turns out I didn't read the ad carefully. it IS AT-X version. that means f/2.8. if it turns out to be for Nikon, I'll take it. the price is nice.

any links on photos taken with it?

I came across mention of this lens last week; story is that the glass was designed by Leica and Tokina carried on producing it (either under licence or not, or maybe the patent ran out), but the later Pro 2.8 version was a modification of the design by Tokina, which is every bit as good as the original.

Whatever; it's an internet story, so it might not be true Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there are separate ATX and ATX PRO versions? Is PRO version autofocus lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanJ wrote:
so there are separate ATX and ATX PRO versions? Is PRO version autofocus lens?

I don't know and I don't recall what forum I read it on. Dig around with google and it will come up.

Here's a snippet I found... http://leica-users.org/v03/msg03320.html
I was partly right, and there was a Leica link, but not to the lens - only the forum.
Looks like the 35-70 isn't the one in question, but the 28-70.
http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7549

Rumour and speculation seem to fuel it. The original post I came across seemed to say the original 35-70 design was the one that was replaced by the 28-70 with Angenieux links. So, in summary, I don't know if the 35-70 you have your eye on is any good or not. Opinions seem to vary on it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissapointment.

the lens in question is indeed Tokina ATX 35-70/2.8 in fairly good condition priced only 25 Eur, but FOR MINOLTA MD mount, and thus completely and utterly useless for me.