Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

To frame or not to frame....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent IMHO, Peter!!!

It looks like a real passepartout. (Is that the right word?)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
That's excellent IMHO, Peter!!!

It looks like a real passepartout. (Is that the right word?)

Before he died, one of my father's hobbies was repairing damaged old books and pictures. In his box of bits and pieces he had several rolls of black or dark red gummed paper tape which was embossed to make it look like leather grain. He called it passepartout, and of course that's what I thought the word meant. I stll have some of it, which I use for binding the music scores I print.

Then a short while ago Orio used the word to refer to the card insert with cut-out window that goes between a picture and the glass in a frame. This was new to me so I checked on Wikipedia and in fact both meanings are correct.

THIS is real passepartout: Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice, Peter! I like the grey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion photographs look 100 times better with a passepartout, although it is fairly more expensive to frame them that way, I think it's really worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
In my opinion photographs look 100 times better with a passepartout, although it is fairly more expensive to frame them that way, I think it's really worth it.

Keeping the print away from the glass seems a pretty good idea to me, and well worth the cost of the passepartout I should think.

Now my wife has seen the final version she wants me to get a professional print and have it framed! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd either go with a white frame with a thin black line around the pic, or a black one with a thin golden line just a few pixels away from the picture...

Very nice shot btw.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: To frame or not to frame.... Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I'm embarrassed to say that I recently found out how to do these border frames. Embarassed

No reason to be embarrassed Bill. We're all at some stage of learning, nobody knows everything. Smile

Out of interest is there a special method for frames that you've just learnt? I just create various layers of different sizes/colours/effects and put them in the right order.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, nothing as sophisticated as that. What I do in PSE 4.0 is hit the
resize button for canvas, choose how large I want the border, choose
color, and I'm there. There are some layers (bevels) that I like to use
occasionally, like on the Mimicry thread. They are very easy where you
just click on the style you want and click OK for the layer and you're done.
Stuff like what you're doing and Attila, is still a work in progress... Smile

Bill