Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tiny screws in lenses. What sizes & where to get some?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
I have gone off micro-tools anyway. I browsed their US site and they seemed to have no assortments of screws except in a kit for repairing eye glasses. They do, however, have taps and die sets and drill sets at very reasonable prices.

However, I cannot order from the US site for delivery to the UK. When I browsed their German site, not only did they have a very reduced range of taps/dies and drills, the sets they were selling were extremely expensive compared to the US prices. Why is this?

Because we've been ripped off for generations, and it's now a way of life. Mad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opticians have tiny screws to replace the ones in spectacle frames (when they fall out).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Because we've been ripped off for generations, and it's now a way of life. Mad

Too true Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Opticians have tiny screws to replace the ones in spectacle frames (when they fall out).

I looked at the link that shauttra posted and the screws for glasses might be the right thread, but don't seem to have the correct heads. Most camera screws are either grub screws (i.e. no head) or set screws with pan heads (either slotted or crosshead).

The link that peterqd posted to H S Walsh seems to have a better chance of success. I will need to plough through the myriad of different packs they offer to see which ones will be best suited. If I get a result I'll be sure to post the link! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try your local optical shop and your local watch repair guy. Even if they don't have them to sell they might be able to direct you to a local source you can guy such things from.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some screws, and tiny springs, to repair a lens off a friend of mine who builds slot racing cars, so the model world offers another choice as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually make these heads smaller in diameter on fine grain diamond disc, until they fit in thread hole. Yes, i like the fine work Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I got some screws, and tiny springs, to repair a lens off a friend of mine who builds slot racing cars, so the model world offers another choice as well.

I also picked up a couple of packs of assorted micro screws from a radio control model shop - it may be a cheap source.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.fastenersclearinghouse.com/fch/main.nsf/fSearch?OpenForm&Start=1&type=R&Cat1=PRM7DED642D2914;&Cat2=FL39EA6ECF529;&Cat3=&Cat4=&Cat5=M1&Cat6=&Cat7=
I hope that link works.

A different source
http://www.unisteeltech.com/fasteners/micro-screws.html

I don't know if they have minimums.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another useful source in the UK for diddy screws and springs.

https://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/threaded-rod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no idea whether anybody mention this already.
I just disassemble film cameras, that normally come with lens (at least this is how it happens on fleamarket). Camera mostly have all needed screws, even tiny ones for fixation of outside lens housings.
Some of the camera models, also have small metal balls that are used in lenses to make diaphragm ring to move by steps with clicking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also need some cheap universal kit for lenses, i get upon this kit wonder if scew size and thread is same. maybe they sell something similar on aliexpress?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the head shape of the glasses screws sold through Amazon do neither look like the flat head type nor the cone head type usually found in lenses.

When looking for some very small slotted cone point set screws (M1.4 x 1.5) I found this manufacturer: https://www.del-screw.com/index.html

I haven't ordered from them yet, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to know the oldest camera repair guy in your area. After you've struck up a (very useful) relationship with the old codger, in an off-hand manner, ask him how he's set for grub screws. Or old lenses that they may be harvested from. Chances are, he'll have boxes and boxes of this stuff. People who were born in the 30s and 40s had parents who survived the Great Depression, and one common theme amongst those survivors is they tended not to throw anything away. This trait would have most likely been instilled in their offspring.