Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Time Machine Project - 2012 November 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Time Machine Project - 2012 November 11 Reply with quote

Thread dedicated to the "one day, one roll - Time Machine Project, 2012 November 11"
If you have taken part to the event, post here the *link only* to the place where you have published the photos of your roll.

Note: all inappropriate postings will be removed.

FAQ:

Q. Why are we allowed to post the link only?
A. Because if everyone who partecipated would post his 36 pictures here, this thread would become unreadable!

P.S. Do not post questions about the concept of the event here. Please use the following thread for all questions:
http://forum.mflenses.com/1-day-1-roll-event-t49159.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice of day, I will be able to shoot the Remembrance Day parade. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Good choice of day, I will be able to shoot the Remembrance Day parade. Smile

I followed Peter's request, a favour to you British Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to keep that date in mind!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, tomorrow (Sunday) is the day!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot 2 rolls of 12 today, colour neg. I will process them at home, so hopefully I'll not destroy them, that would be already good as a result Rolling Eyes Laughing
Anyone else has shot their roll today?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my shots. I grabbed a camera with a few shots already taken, and I'd forgotten what film was loaded. Turned out it was Kodak Elitechrome (slides) so I'll need to send it off for processing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot mine this morning, processed it and just scanning it now, Fujicolor 200.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, I've just discovered I had the camera set at ASA160 instead of 100. grrr..... Embarassed

Is it possible to correct the under-exposure in the processing? This is Elitechrome 100 E6 process. If so I can ask Peak-Imaging to do the necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Oh dear, I've just discovered I had the camera set at ASA160 instead of 100. grrr..... Embarassed
Is it possible to correct the under-exposure in the processing? This is Elitechrome 100 E6 process. If so I can ask Peak-Imaging to do the necessary.

For only 2/3rds of a stop, forced development is not necessary. Many people expose their slides like that voluntarily, to increase saturation.
At the worst, you'll only experience some detail loss in the darkest shadows - if there was sunlight. If there was overcast, probably better skies
than you would have obtained at nominal exposure (and a bit grayer shadows where any).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roll, there is only one subject fitting for the eleventh day of the eleventh month:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1275791.html#1275791

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio. That's broadly what I hoped.
Normally I use the film setting but I have a feeling I might have read somewhere that it's not a bad idea to underexpose E6 film slightly, or it it overexpose? Smile Anyway, that might be the reason I used the setting - but it's more likely I just forgot.

I'll wrap a little note round the film for the lab and see what they come up with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
My roll, there is only one subject fitting for the eleventh day of the eleventh month:

Don't forget to post here your three favourite pictures!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Normally I use the film setting but I have a feeling I might have read somewhere that it's not a bad idea to underexpose E6 film slightly, or it it overexpose? Smile

Overexpose bad idea Smile
Underexpose is often practiced with slides, to both increase saturation (esp. in a time when Photoshop did not exist Wink ) and
to play it safer with highlights, because slides have very narrow latitude in the highlights, while shadows are a little more forgiving,
especially for the purpose slides were originally conceived for (projection).
Scanning in fact changed that a little, because home scanners have problem recovering info from dark areas. I have many slides
that scan badly, but look great in projection.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, we'll see how they turn out.

Ian, some of my shots were at a Remembrance parade too. It was a glorious sunny morning. I couldn't take pictures during the service as I was playing in the band.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Don't forget to post here your three favourite pictures!

Hard to pick as none of them stand out to me, I was a bit too emotional to concentrate fully on the photography, my grandfather carried the flag in this parade every year for 40 years and I always think of him on this day, we were extremely close and his loss still hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a week now, is no-one else going to join in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Ian, I sent my films off to Peak Imaging on Tuesday. I haven't received them back yet and when I do I will have to scan them, and I don't know how quickly I can do that with my other commitments. Not everyone has the time to spare that you seem to have. Please be patient and I will post my pictures as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'm patient, I was just wondering if anyone else other than me, you and Orio shot something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Having shot 2 colour rolls, I needed to pile 4 of them for processing (as it's the quantity recommended by Tetenal
in order to optimize the use of the chemicals).
Now I have them, and as soon as I have the time, I will process them. Unfortunately, I'll not be able to do it before Wednesday at least.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to compare notes on C41 processing after you have done a few rolls. I just threw out my second batch of Fuji Hunt Xpress C-41 developer (I make it up in 1l batches, kit is for 5l) and I didn't take notes of how many films I got out of it. I developed one yesterday and despite extending time to 3:45 from 3:15 to compensate for age and use of the developer, the roll of Kodacolor 200 was 2-3 stops underdone. Therefore, I concluded the useable life of this batch was done. I don't know how many rolls it had done, I think at least 8, Fuji say you should get 10 from 1l. I process one at a time in a Paterson tank but I do have a Jobo tank with two spirals so I could do two at once.

Anyways, it's not the right place to get into too much depth on this topic, but I just wanted to share a little about my experience with c41 so far. A thread about DIY C41 might be a good idea, I'll start keeping notes from now on, as I do with my BW development.

Given the increasing difficulties of getting colour films processed, it would be good to spread knowledge about DIY colour, it would probably get many more people interested in shooting colour and promoting film use is a good thing I feel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that a crop of my first picture might improve it:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It would be good to compare notes on C41 processing after you have done a few rolls. I just threw out my second batch of Fuji Hunt Xpress C-41 developer (I make it up in 1l batches, kit is for 5l) and I didn't take notes of how many films I got out of it. I developed one yesterday and despite extending time to 3:45 from 3:15 to compensate for age and use of the developer, the roll of Kodacolor 200 was 2-3 stops underdone. Therefore, I concluded the useable life of this batch was done. I don't know how many rolls it had done, I think at least 8, Fuji say you should get 10 from 1l. I process one at a time in a Paterson tank but I do have a Jobo tank with two spirals so I could do two at once.

I think that it's never a good idea to reuse chemicals for more than 2-3 times. The natural oxidation process, combined with the contamination of the liquids, does not really make me think
that prolonged storage and occasional use are a sensible way to go.
That is where I think the suggestion by Tetenal to process at least 4 rolls every time comes from: 4 rolls x 3 times = 12 rolls capacity which is generally what is indicated on the box (12 to 16).
I'm not sure that prolonging development times it's the right way of compensation; apparently the C41 process does not really correspond to what one would do with B&W film.
I think the most sensible way to go is to follow manufacturer's information and process as many C41 rolls at a time, as possible.
This would of course imply to expose rolls then store them in a fridge until the good number is reached.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji tell you to extend times as the developer gets older in the booklet that comes with the kit.

Oxidisation is only a problem when time is a factor, if you develop all the 10 or so rolls fairly quickly then you don't have to worry about it. I developed all my rolls in the last 2 weeks so it wasn't an issue for me, but I wouldn't want to stretch it out to months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are my three favourites. I've added the rest to your Remembrance thread Ian, not a full roll, I'd taken about 10 shots in Australia, and some of the pics were far too dark to recover. Sad

On the way home: