Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Time Machine Project - 2012 May 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Time Machine Project - 2012 May 5 Reply with quote

Thread dedicated to the "one day, one roll - Time Machine Project, 2012 May 5"
If you have taken part to the event, post here the *link only* to the place where you have published the photos of your roll.

Note: all inappropriate postings will be removed.

FAQ:

Q. Why are we allowed to post the link only?
A. Because if everyone who partecipated would post his 36 pictures here, this thread would become unreadable!

P.S. Do not post questions about the concept of the event here. Please use the following thread for all questions:
http://forum.mflenses.com/1-day-1-roll-event-t49159.html

Last edited by Orio on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll start the ball rolling:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1229376.html#1229376

My three picks, first is Hexanon 3.5/200, Second Hexanon 2.8/24, third Hexanon 3.5/28:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, Ian, really like #3! What film and dev is this?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill. The fella is Johnny Brown, a local character, he was off to a wedding. TMAX 100 in Paterson FX-39, 1:9 for 11.5mins at 18C, 3 inversions per min after initial 30secs inversions.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ian!!! I really like the whole roll you made!
What is the location?
It is important to know the location and the approximate time of the day (night-morning-noon-afternoon-evening)

I have to say, I'm not sure to agree completely with your selection of best three. I would have picked Johnny Brown too for sure, nice character! About the other two, I would perhaps have chosen differently.
You have a lot of good photos in that roll!
See? You have done right in partecipating Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very nice Ian!!! I really like the whole roll you made!
What is the location?
It is important to know the location and the approximate time of the day (night-morning-noon-afternoon-evening)

I have to say, I'm not sure to agree completely with your selection of best three. I would have picked Johnny Brown too for sure, nice character! About the other two, I would perhaps have chosen differently.
You have a lot of good photos in that roll!
See? You have done right in partecipating Very Happy

Thanks for the kind words, I sort of played safe with half the roll as the 24 and 28mm are so easy to use, but I had to try to push things a little hence the 200mm shots, and Attila keeps telling me what a good lens it is, so I had to try it, only the second time I've tried that lens, first time was not really a success.

Location was my hometown, Millom, Cumbria, time was 3pm to 5pm, I had a hard time choosing three, would love to know which you would have picked. I tried to capture something of the local life, hence the old men with the fishing boats, the rugby league, sadly the streets were deserted so I didn't manage to make many shots of people, Johnny was the only one around. I had to get the Fish n Chip shop in as well, nothing more typically north-western than fish n chips and rugby league!

Thanks for persuading me to join in, the light was great, even if it had been raining and horrid I would have had a go. Just wish I'd used my 300mm Hexanon for the rugby (I even took it with me but thought the 200mm would suffice).

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had a hard time choosing three, would love to know which you would have picked.

Difficult to pick, you made an excellent roll overall.
For sure Johnny Brown #24
Then I would have probably included one of the rugby, perhaps #13 because you have some nice houses and you can also see the score board at least in part
(this is the kind of stuff is always nice to have included in a reportage photo)
About the people working on the beach, I think that #15 would have been a better choice than #16, because the composition is better, the characters are more in evidence and the background also is more interesting.
About #9, the three stranded boats, the image is surely strong, but I don't like the use of tele lens there, because it compresses the perspective. I would have gotten closer and used a wide instead,
because wide enhance the perspective and create more 3D, as you can see in #7, where you did use a wide and the perspective is much more involving and attention-catching.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I tried to capture something of the local life

And that was the perfect choice!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The rugby was something new for me, I only shot static subjects for 99% of my prior work, I had no idea how to approach it. #13 they are just calling the physio onto the field as one of the players has been flattened. I was conscious of trying to get the scoreboard in shot. I'll definitely go back and shoot a rugby game again, but I think I'll use my 300mm Hexanon or even try my Konica 2x TC.

I think I picked 16 instead of 15 because I was drawn to the 3D of the tractor, but I agree, 15 is stronger compositionally and tells more of a story.

There's a little backstory to why I shot those 3 boats with the 200mm, last time I went to this spot I put on my rubber boots and walked down close to the boats, not realising that the mud was so soft and sticky, I sank into it and had some difficulty getting out again, the boots came off and I ended up covered in the nasty black mud (it's the site of the outlet from the former ironworks so the mud is pretty foul). So this time I chickened out and used a long lens. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
#13 they are just calling the physio onto the field as one of the players has been flattened.

The referee's raised arm is a compositional catch and gives the photo a "punctum" (as Roland Barthes would say)

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
There's a little backstory to why I shot those 3 boats with the 200mm, last time I went to this spot I put on my rubber boots and walked down close to the boats, not realising that the mud was so soft and sticky, I sank into it and had some difficulty getting out again, the boots came off and I ended up covered in the nasty black mud (it's the site of the outlet from the former ironworks so the mud is pretty foul). So this time I chickened out and used a long lens. Smile

You must sacrifice to get to the art Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, normally I just wade straight into rivers or muddy patches to get the shot, but I was conscious I needed to get a whole roll in the can and I had just begun to shoot, if I'd already shot the rugby game (I went to the beach to kill time til kickoff) and only had a few exposures left i would have wandered down to the boats.

I'm not familiar with Barthe but you just gave me something to research Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got my Fuji Pro 160S from the supermarket dev. today.

Perth, Western Australia, afternoon.

Shot on Minolta X700 using my Minolta 50mm F1.4,
Was a good day despite the rain and dreary cloud cover. Drove down to Fremantle for the day, started off down at the old abandoned power station, then made our way into the town of Fremantle, then finished the day by making our way up to Reabold hill. the whole roll is here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-roll-for-5th-may-challenge-t49513.html

These are probably my favourite 3:

Last edited by Hood on Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hood, very interesting roll by you too, many good pictures, just like with Ian I have to say
that I would have chosen three different pictures from your roll.

I think it was a good idea to request to post a whole roll then a selection. It is interesting to see what people chooses and what not.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my flickr set, arista premium 400, hc-110 dilution h (1+63), om-1n, sunny 16 metering, flat light all day; scanned on epson 4490; all shots made in alabama in my area west northwest of birmingham; the skinny shots are not crops; the left sides were very, very dark, and the epson refused to read that much blackness, leaving the right half scanned; the photo that was trapped in photoshop is now in the flickr set; also, i accidentally deleted two lousy pics before i remembered i had to upload ALL of the scans:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51210672@N07/sets/72157629988305337/

zuiko 28/2.8, om-1n, very late evening, flat, dreay light, 1/60, f2.8:

zuiko 28/2.8, mid-afternoon, flat light, 1/250, f5.6 or f8:

zuiko 50/1.8, morning, flattish light (scrim of an overcast), 1/500 at f4, maybe:

Last edited by fish4570 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood, Paul, please indicate the location.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, orio. location added.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to my roll from Hakone National Park in Japan.

http://forum.mflenses.com/my-roll-from-may-5th-t49517.html

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Yebisu, #1 with Mt Fuji is great. I would have picked the other cable car pic you showed rather than #3 however, I loved that one, so much fascinating detail in the terraced hillside.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lovely results from everyone Smile

.mic

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's my effort... on flickr
Rather rough and ready scans for now I'm afraid.
Shot on Saturday lunchtime while the kids were quad biking an a very cold and exposed hillside at the secret nuclear bunker in essex. I was testing a Kodak Retina from 1937 so it was hit and miss whether I got anything at all, but luckily it seemed to work OK - apart from the odd double exposure and poor focusing on my part. I went through the roll of rollei retro 100 quite quickly so no artistic masterpieces. Here are three pics...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Xpres! Nice roll!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood, Paul, Yebisu, and Xpres, enjoying seeing your work!

Orio, did you shoot slide and is Attila processing it? Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

LOL, no, I have been busy with all sort of stuff. Yesterday I had the tennis finals to see,
then back at home I tested the Jobo tank with some less important rolls.
Today, it was dentist, then veterinary (no, not for the same subject Laughing ),
then groceries, then cooking...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

LOL, no, I have been busy with all sort of stuff. Yesterday I had the tennis finals to see,
Today, it was dentist, then veterinary (no, not for the same subject Laughing ),

Bah, you call yourself a photographer! Rolling Eyes

Get your priorities correct! Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

ha! Married life, I remember what that was like. Smile