Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Those Steinheil Culminar 4.5/135 M42 pics did it!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Those Steinheil Culminar 4.5/135 M42 pics did it! Reply with quote

Seems Orio's shots with the Steinheil Culminar 4.5/135 M42
lens stayed in my mind. When one came up I decided to go for it, so here's the eBay results . . . Shocked

Click here to see on Ebay

With what he says for shipping I don't think I'll have done too bad for $30. CAD Smile

It doesn't look as shiney as Orio's but as someone once said it looks cool Cool ! And its not the usual either.
Once I get it I'll try to shoot with it and post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks beautiful to me and you have made a great bargain for the price!!

You will love the lens. I am actually considering to take it to the Carnival next Sunday, if the sun surfaces. I am curious about the result. In cloudy weather, in fact, it is too slow for good focusing.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In US, this lens is going for around this price only....
I have notices, Russian (and eastern European) lenses process has dropped a lot. Most of the high prices are going because of international buyers.
Good time to pick some great optics...

(on the other hand, Nikon glass prices has increased dramatically).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
In US, this lens is going for around this price only....
I have notices, Russian (and eastern European) lenses process has dropped a lot. Most of the high prices are going because of international buyers.
Good time to pick some great optics...
(on the other hand, Nikon glass prices has increased dramatically).

I think the reason for this are the new digital reflex releases by Nikon, which have sparkled the flame of interest again in many Nikoneers, after a period when top digital reflex seemed to mean only Canon.
Nikon has always been strong in the US market, and Nikon cameras pretty much only support Nikkor lenses, due to the register distances, so because of these two factors it's normal that the better sales of Nikon's digital reflex cameras makes the prices of best Nikkor lenses raise and those of the other mounts decrease - also because as far as I know, the latest Nikon cameras feature better compatibility with older Nikkor lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm quite excited at the prospect of this lens Very Happy
I guess I just have to pay for it, and wait for it.

Orio wrote:
. . . - also because as far as I know, the latest Nikon cameras feature better compatibility with older Nikkor lenses.

My step son says the same, he just picked up a Nikon D80 with an 18-70 mm lens. At least this was his understanding. From what I remembered though he was showing signs of Nikon lust and his 35mm slr was a Canon Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:

My step son says the same, he just picked up a Nikon D80 with an 18-70 mm lens. At least this was his understanding. From what I remembered though he was showing signs of Nikon lust and his 35mm slr was a Canon Confused

If it wasn't for two decisive factors (register distance and CMOS sensor's iimage quality), I would prefer Nikon cameras myself. They are much better built than Canon's.

-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
j.lukow wrote:

If it wasn't for two decisive factors (register distance and CMOS sensor's iimage quality), I would prefer Nikon cameras myself. They are much better built than Canon's.

-

Well both the D300 and D3 have gone CMOS, but register distance isn't going to change. Every time I see high ISO samples from the D3 I'm amazed at the lack of noise, but then I look at my bank balance Sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The register distance was my major reason for going Canon this time. My D200 can do all I could ever want from a camera (it's way beyond my talent as is the D70) and the new 40D gives me the opportunity to expand my affection for the MF lenses that have up to now been nikkors. But I must say I still hate the casual way in which Canon basically threw out not one, but two generations of lenses. My answer at this point is that I do not own a single Canon lens and have no plans to get one! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well both the D300 and D3 have gone CMOS, but register distance isn't going to change. Every time I see high ISO samples from the D3 I'm amazed at the lack of noise, but then I look at my bank balance

Don't worry Richard. You are getting great results with your current setup. Even those who can afford a D3 are looking up to the next better rig (Digi Hassy?). If I can be vulgar for a moment. "For every Gorgeous girl in the world there is bloke somewhere who is tired of shagging her." Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous! I don't know how anyone could resist, actually! Heck, it doesn't even need to be a "good" lens, I would pay $30 just to look at it! But, I have this feeling....that it's going to be very clean and sharp! Those aluminum lenses surely have an elegant look about them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congrats! You made a good bargain! 135mm f2.8 one of my sharpest 135mm lens and look very sexy,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Gorgeous! I don't know how anyone could resist, actually! Heck, it doesn't even need to be a "good" lens, I would pay $30 just to look at it! But, I have this feeling....that it's going to be very clean and sharp! Those aluminum lenses surely have an elegant look about them.

Larry -- even before I read the following link here -
http://forum.mflenses.com/steinheil-culminar-4-5-135-m42-t4159.html
I liked the look of it - which was even before I got my Praktica. It goes back to the aesthetics of another time when performance was mirrored in the appearance.
And yes I can't wait for it to arrive! Very Happy