Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This section needs a kick in the pants
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: This section needs a kick in the pants Reply with quote

Where are all the four-thirdists? c'mon, you know who you are! Laughing

I shall be asking lens questions this week, so dust yourselves down because I need your expertise Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Olympus m4/3 and still keep the good old E-P2 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a big fan of the ep2, but was extremely disappointed in the omd. personally, on an IQ basis i much prefered the ep2. problem is that technology is 5-6 years old and has been way way surpassed by fuji and sony, both with similar small form factors plus internal vfs. let me know when olly does away with the low pass filter. until then its ricoh gxr and fuji for me.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Lumix GF1 and an Olympus E-P1, but I moved to APS-C sensors and sold them.
I still keep the adapters and a NEX-m43 adapter that allows me to use them on the NEX.
Sometimes I miss the GF1 Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fall in and out of love with my E-PL1 almost weekly. But it's the "as near as I can get to a 35mm rangefinder for my limited budget" handling that makes me keep it. These days it lives in the bag with the body cap lens permanently fitted ready for candid street photography which it excels at. But as a crap photographer, it remains more capable than me Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering GH1 or GH2 for video. What is the fair price for them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like and use my E-PL1 even with a proper lens Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I still like and use my E-PL1 even with a proper lens Wink
Laughing But the BCL is such fun. It even makes those dreadful "art filters" fun to use Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just bought an E-P1, so I agree there is some need for a kick Wink .
Maybe NEX is better for our interests, but I did not find one as cheap as an old E-P1.

Last edited by enzodm on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool I like the price-size-performance ratio of these cameras. Cheap enough, small enough, good enough. And I can just get it in my pocket with the body cap lens and use it for impromptu candids.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the ep1 is a wonderful cam. personally i could never get used to lack of vf, so my pictures mostly sucked. that changed when i got the ep2+evf. i really loved that combo and was proud of what i put out with it. the 'ep' jpeg engine is really fabulous. i personally like it much better than the omd engine.
tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i was a big fan of the ep2, but was extremely disappointed in the omd. personally, on an IQ basis i much prefered the ep2. problem is that technology is 5-6 years old and has been way way surpassed by fuji and sony, both with similar small form factors plus internal vfs. let me know when olly does away with the low pass filter. until then its ricoh gxr and fuji for me.
tony

Generally speaking, I have been very happy with the picture quality of the E-M5. My previous m4/3 was the EPL1; it is clearly an improvement on that camera (as one would expect given the price difference) and I liked the pictures from the EPL1 a lot. However, I do find the white balance with the E-M5 to be a step back, especially in artificial light where Auto WB is pretty much always either wrong or very wrong. To make matters worse, getting a custom WB from a white balance card often fails in artificial light. The Auto WB can also change one shot to another by quite a lot as well.

On the other hand, high ISO performance is quite remarkably good. I think the jpeg engine is excellent and almost never bother shooting raw (i'm too lazy). I would only consider shooting raw when the dynamic range of the camera is being stretched to breaking point. The built in EVF is a huge step forward from the add-on VF2 which I used with my EPL1 (like you I cannot make a good picture using the back screen).

Ergonomically, I am less happy with the E-M5. The menu system is still a frustrating mess. I find the cursor buttons to be too small and it is hard to press one without pressing something else at the same time. I suppose this is the penalty for such a small body. On the other hand, it does make focusing MF lenses very easy with the ability to assign the magnification function to a button of choice.

I will be sticking with m4/3 due to the large amount of dedicated kit I have. Perhaps I should avoid trying a Fuji though in case I start doubting myself.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This section needs a kick in the pants Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Where are all the four-thirdists?

Well, I've started 4 new threads, so I'm doing my bit. I wonder how long it will be before they generate any feedback?

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: This section needs a kick in the pants Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
Where are all the four-thirdists?

Well, I've started 4 new threads, so I'm doing my bit. I wonder how long it will be before they generate any feedback?

Mark
Just catching up on them now Very Happy

You've got me thinking about all the unspeakable things I can do with the box of broken cameras in the garage Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
..." I like the price-size-performance ratio of these cameras"...

Yes... and weight! With the M4/3, manufacturers are now offering what they promised and did not meet when the 4/3.
I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - i got to play with one OMD comparing it with my E-P2. The results in low iso (under 400) were better with E-P2 - omd files look too contrasty for me. Other thing was that the new oled screen really sucks - very small viewing angle and green tint.
But i did like the new quiet shutter and the software teleconverter option. Somehow I'm not very tempted by the internal viewfinder and new controls and buttons.

rbelyell wrote:
yes, the ep1 is a wonderful cam. personally i could never get used to lack of vf, so my pictures mostly sucked. that changed when i got the ep2+evf. i really loved that combo and was proud of what i put out with it. the 'ep' jpeg engine is really fabulous. i personally like it much better than the omd engine.
tony

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try in the next weeks to do a little review by comparing my E-P2 with my new OMD (a used one, bought 750€ with a 12-50). And of course to publish some pictures.
I'm not very happy with the E-P2 because of noise over 200 iso in low light conditions. But thanks to the good stabilization it's possible to avoid this problem sometimes. I probably have also an issue with my configuration, i changed some parameters since the day one i used it and it seems that the results are not so good as it was in the first place.
Anyway, i need also a waterproof body and lens, the possibility to use both viewer and flash at the same time, a better resolution.
that's why i switch mainly to this new gear.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new toy, arrived yesterday:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red leather suits it very well Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Red leather suits it very well Very Happy

Stefan, thanks, camera came that way, bought for a BIN of $150 off ebay. Has the Gariz soft release and Richard Franiec grip.
The leather covering is from Aki-Asahi who calls this Brown Croc Emboss, but in strong natural light is a very orange-red brown.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice PM1 - I have the same grip. Makes a difference and one thing I don't like about the PM2.