Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thinning Down My Collection -- It's Difficult!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Michael,the a9 or whatever will be around $3000 and like you I only buy with cash but I have a lot of cameras and lenses I can divest if I decide to get a9 instead of latest version of a7ii.I have found though that the remnants of my FD lenses work really well on the a6000.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did (and I do not recommend it) is get rid of all but the ones I use daily. Then I went back and re-collected the ones I regretted getting rid of. In the end..instead of over 200 lens and more than 100 cameras I'm down to 30 lens and 12 cameras. I use these and do not now feel the need to collect any more. I'm looking forward to getting a full format Pentax DSLR and some good Pentax lens which will just about do me for the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Big Dawg,How is retirement suiting you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It's interesting to follow some of the Facebook collectors pages and see the enthusiasm and delight

Such as?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its bloody difficult, cant be bothered trying to sell a cheapo and dont want to sell a good one! My solution is to donate any cheapo lenses that I don't like to charity. I feel that i have made a donation, but only after I have had the pleasure of spending it and having a chance of getting a nice lens as a keeper for little money.
I just cant stop myself buying, it truely is an addiction, I got pissed one night and bid on loads of lenses at 99p, won nigh on the whole bloody lot, all crap and not worth the 99p. Smile I think the postage amounted to about 30 quid!

Whats to be done is what I want to know?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Michael. This may be useful if you you to switch to MF mode with your kit lens.

https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=tsPOAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA312&lpg=PA312&dq=MENU+---%3E+[Camera]+---%3E+[AF/MF+Select]&source=bl&ots=heOmB3cqIc&sig=wJ8fRCzUS2Dnj7aq5qGV2yMVdVc&hl=zh-TW&sa=X&ei=f7wsVbTfCYTDmAX3wIH4Aw&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=MENU%20---%3E%20[Camera]%20---%3E%20[AF%2FMF%20Select]&f=false

Heh. Well, it might be useful for my wife. She reads Chinese.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AW come on Michael,21st Century everyone understands Chinese don't they? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Michael. This may be useful if you you to switch to MF mode with your kit lens.

https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=tsPOAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA312&lpg=PA312&dq=MENU+---%3E+[Camera]+---%3E+[AF/MF+Select]&source=bl&ots=heOmB3cqIc&sig=wJ8fRCzUS2Dnj7aq5qGV2yMVdVc&hl=zh-TW&sa=X&ei=f7wsVbTfCYTDmAX3wIH4Aw&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=MENU%20---%3E%20[Camera]%20---%3E%20[AF%2FMF%20Select]&f=false

Heh. Well, it might be useful for my wife. She reads Chinese.

It is a link to a English book called The Complete Guide to Sony's NEX-7 Mirrorless Camera (B&W Edition) written by Gary Friedman. Does your computer automatically translated it into Chinese? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have Chinese character sets installed on my machine so my wife can read online newspapers if she feels like it. Sorry, I didn't spot any obvious Roman alphabet characters to click on.

Well, this is interesting. I tried clicking on the link again and this time, the center of the screen is the book, where the perimeter is still in Chinese. Now, I wonder why I was seeing Chinese text only the first time I viewed it?

I'll go to Amazon.com and do a search on that title. What I really don't like about the user's guide that came with the NEX 7 is its on a CD. I can't take a CD with me to read in the Dr's office or in the car, or wherever. I hate it when they cheap out like that, try to save a few dollars in their costs by shipping product with CDs instead of paper manuals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I agree Michael,the a9 or whatever will be around $3000 and like you I only buy with cash but I have a lot of cameras and lenses I can divest if I decide to get a9 instead of latest version of a7ii.I have found though that the remnants of my FD lenses work really well on the a6000.

Kryss, if I were to divest myself of enough photo gear to buy a $3000 camera, I wouldn't have much gear left. Then, as Big Dawg, mentioned, I'd be spending my time and resources, reacquiring stuff I sold. I've already been down that road more than once, and I'm not going to do it again. That's why I've been so reticent about selling off even gear that's more-or-less redundant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
What I did (and I do not recommend it) is get rid of all but the ones I use daily. Then I went back and re-collected the ones I regretted getting rid of. In the end..instead of over 200 lens and more than 100 cameras I'm down to 30 lens and 12 cameras. I use these and do not now feel the need to collect any more. I'm looking forward to getting a full format Pentax DSLR and some good Pentax lens which will just about do me for the rest of my life.

That sounds like a good amount. I am curious what lenses and especially what cameras you kept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Big Dawg,How is retirement suiting you?

Not retired yet. Got 6 weeks to go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:

That sounds like a good amount. I am curious what lenses and especially what cameras you kept.

Kept a Kodak 5X7 large format, a Pentax 645, a Kodak medalist I that has been retro-fitted for 120 film and sheet film and the shutter button lock lever has been neutralized so it won't lock the shutter up. All done by Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain., A few Kodak 35mm film cameras, several early Pentax (Asahi) 35mm cameras, two Pentax K10D's, a Pentax KX and a Pentax K7. Doing less and less film. Hope to do more after I retire. Boredom will drive me to it I'm sure. Looking forward to a Pentax Full frame digital.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Kept a Kodak 5X7 large format, a Pentax 645, a Kodak medalist I that has been retro-fitted for 120 film and sheet film and the shutter button lock lever has been neutralized so it won't lock the shutter up. All done by Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain., A few Kodak 35mm film cameras, several early Pentax (Asahi) 35mm cameras, two Pentax K10D's, a Pentax KX and a Pentax K7. Doing less and less film. Hope to do more after I retire. Boredom will drive me to it I'm sure. Looking forward to a Pentax Full frame digital.

Thanks, you have some really interesting film cameras! Have fun using them. My dad shifted over to Pentax after using an Argus C3 rangefinder for many years. He had a Pentax KX film camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pentax Pz1p,Pz1,Black MX,PentaxH1a c/w pentax meter(working with spare batteries}original front metal cap,that I would love to find a new home for Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I have a Pentax Pz1p,Pz1,Black MX,PentaxH1a c/w pentax meter(working with spare batteries}original front metal cap,that I would love to find a new home for Sad

No problem kryss, send them to me. I promise I'll take good care of them! Wink Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure an' all Ed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
kryss wrote:

Kryss, if I were to divest myself of enough photo gear to buy a $3000 camera, I wouldn't have much gear left. Then, as Big Dawg, mentioned, I'd be spending my time and resources, reacquiring stuff I sold. I've already been down that road more than once, and I'm not going to do it again. That's why I've been so reticent about selling off even gear that's more-or-less redundant.

I think it was said earlier, but I find that I tend to keep my monies for cameras (specifically, new digital stuff) and my monies for lenses in separate pots, so to speak. As most of us know, lenses generally tend to hold their value (and sometimes increase!), however, more often than not, digital cameras only continue to lose value. Because of this, I feel like I am throwing money away if I sell lenses in order to buy a new shiny digital thing, which will all too soon be worth considerably less.

One great example (as if I even need one) is the GF1. I recall wanting that camera SO bad when it was announced. I recall the kit with the 20/1.7 costing in the neighborhood of $900. I sold it when the prices were somewhere around $700. I miss the camera, even though the performance is, at this point, and especially in light of using my D750, dated. Prices now are less than $100 for the body, and it looks like the lenses have all been separated as they are still of use on newer bodies. But I saw some Buy It Now's for $68 for the body. lol. Oh, time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
.... new shiny digital thing, which will all too soon be worth considerably less.

You're sooo right, with one excetion:
The digital I'm actually looking for!
Always this model will NOT decrease in value. It might take years or decades, price stays constantly high until the moment I got myself one. From that second on price falls down to minimum one can imagine!
Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in fact I think this very thing is happening with the NEX 7 I bought a few months ago, thinking I was getting such a good deal on it. Geez, for another $100 I could have gotten the A6000 with the 16-50 lens. Same sensor size and density but improved ISO and a standard flash shoe. Argh!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

Not biting on that one. Still have an H1A. HAHA!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might take years or decades, price stays constantly high until the moment I got myself one. From that second on price falls down to minimum one can imagine!

Laughing I know the feeling!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
I think it was said earlier, but I find that I tend to keep my monies for cameras (specifically, new digital stuff) and my monies for lenses in separate pots, so to speak. As most of us know, lenses generally tend to hold their value (and sometimes increase!), however, more often than not, digital cameras only continue to lose value. Because of this, I feel like I am throwing money away if I sell lenses in order to buy a new shiny digital thing, which will all too soon be worth considerably less.

I used to feel that way until I bought 5D3. I don't think this is a camera I'll ever need to upgrade. I may complement with a crop Canon at some point, but I just don't envision myself needing more than it provides.