Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thinking of upgrading, in need of some advice!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Thinking of upgrading, in need of some advice!! Reply with quote

I've had my trusty gf1 for a couple of years now and feel at some points I need an upgrade!

I only have one AF lens the 20mm 1.7, I love the lens and camera but got given some amazon vouchers and I'm thinking of buying some gear.

don't really want to buy additional mft lenses even if they are great cause I prefer manual sold my 14mm cause I really didn't appreciate it after the 20mm.

I'm really in two different minds about this thinking of moving over to nex or staying with mft. I don't want to lose the 20mm but I wouldn't keep both!!

advise really really needed, I've read good things on the nex5 and feel I want to go that route if I do swop over

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just try, you can always go back Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, the thought of a APC sized sensor is very appealing but at the same time I really like my c mount lenses.

I know I could just crop the image but its not the same!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confuse you further, how about a Fuji X-series? - 16MP APS-C x-trans sensor, several bodies to choose from, good on-going customer support from the manufacturer..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as looks go they are very handsome cameras!!

not too familiar with them but I'll do some research, preferably I want a metal body design.

even some of the leicas are in arms reach at a stretch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
as far as looks go they are very handsome cameras!!

not too familiar with them but I'll do some research, preferably I want a metal body design.

even some of the leicas are in arms reach at a stretch.

I went for the X-Pro1, but the X-E2 and the about-to-be-released X-T1 are also rather nice..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that x e2 is proper nice but carries a eye popping price tag!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a MFT to NEX adapter*, that way you can get your APSC sensor camera and keep your 20mm, the advantage is that it will be wider.

Assuming the image circle is big enough...

*Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
that x e2 is proper nice but carries a eye popping price tag!!

Try the Fuji refurbished shop - and there's usually a valid 10% discount coupon available too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre happy with m4/3 why change? ive used many m4/3, apsc and FF. imo, right now there is not very much difference between latest m4/3 sensor as in the em1, ep5 (even epl5), gx7 and any apsc. ive personally done the comparisons and its not easy to see a difference, and imo, someone not knowing couldnt tell same image, same time, same FL apsc vs m4/3. so if you have lenses you love, which is most important, just upgrade the sensor. having upgraded myself from ep2 to epl5 i can say there is a great difference, especially at high iso, which is now comfortably 32-6400.

if you want to stay with pamny, the gx7 is a great step up, not only in sensor but also in IBIS. if you feel daring you could give the new oly sensors a try in the em1, ep5 or epl5, all of which would be a big step up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPL5 could be a good choice if you are limited in your budget.
It will be an clear improvement in IQ and a tiliting screen is an hudge advantage for creativity and for outdoor shooting.

Nex is limited in lenses choice unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If upgrading to another m43, get a camera with IBIS and E-finder and the 16mp sensor Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents, you've all been very helpful.

I think rbelyell is spot on with the fact if I love the lenses why change over, look I do find it difficult to focus with lenses wider than 24mm and 24mm's is already a push that was my main reason for wanting to get something with a bigger sensor but I do love my lenses and camera

I might just pick up a cheap used nex3 to muck about with for wider shots and then I wont feel bad about having two bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a mft camera with In body stabilisation and the new sensor .If you don't mind about stabilisation Nex offers a great aid for manual focusing .I wouldn't sell the Pana 20 /1.7 . Sony doesn't offer same quality/price/smallness factor in e mount .Not easy to pick. The new Oly cams are really good, to have all legacy lenses stabilised is great . But if you are rather in manual focus , Nex offers a better aid for focusing ( focus peaking ) afik oly doesn't have it. And apsc crop is 1.5 ,but I understand this doesn't matter so much for you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would stick with the M4/3 system. I have the Oly E-PL5 which is pretty brilliant and affordable as well. I recommend using it with an electronic viewfinder though. My VF-4 viewfinder arrived this week and I find it excellent to use with MF lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I've decided to stay with MFT, I like the c mount and 20mm too much to part with it.

I'm think of swapping over to Olympus, I'm tired of taking 3 shots for a picture the the manual leñses and the thought of ibis is rather pleasing!!

the one reason why I wanted to swap over to a bigger sensor was partly because of a lenses:) I always saw these amazing shots taken with the Helios and I could never reproduce them using my 44-6

my thinking was similar that you needed to make use of the outer part of the lens to get these effects, similar to c mount on MFT but i bought a 44-2 last week and I started to see the whole swirly thing so I'm quite happy now!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but here goes anyway...

NEX-3/5 can be had for about 150 Euros, that's not an amount one should think too long and not an amount over which you must abandon m4/3. All your MF lenses would work on NEX, some issues with image circle for c-mounts, but with longer lenses (say 50mm and up) this wouldn't be an issue.

Nex does not have a lens comparable to Pany 20mm, would be hard and $$$ to replace it with comparable MF lens too. If one factors size into it, probably it's impossible.

On the other hand, the m4/3-> NEX adapter idea would not let you use 20mm on NEX. 20mm is all electronic lens, the m4/3 to NEX adapter is a mechanical device that readapts to NEX all MF lenses already adapted to m4/3. Btw, 20mm does cover NEX except for extreme corners, but not really usable because there is no way to change aperture, focus and geometric distortion is horrendous (I did try it).

Recently I've bought E-P5, that's a much nicer camera than first generation m4/3 such as your gf-1 or my E-PL1 in any regard, much nicer than NEX-5 as well.

In summary, if you are itching to try NEX-5, go ahead and do it, it's very affordable and you can use it alongside with m4/3 with all your manual gear. If you want a significant upgrade, get second hand E-P5 or OM-D, the prices are down already, that will allow you to keep using your 20mm, which is a great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NEX5 is a good buy, it was the bottom of the mid range NEX when it came out - with 14.2 mp. But it had a magnesium chassis and few more bells and whistles than the NEX3. Soon after came the NEX5N upgrades with 16.1 mp. Guess which one gets the premium price?
There are still NEX5 to be had new, and loads of used ones as people were attracted to the MP race and upgraded. The original NEX5 is a good camera, and probably the bargain of the NEX range.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus would be a good choice.
I have the PEN E-P2 and In Body Image Stabilisation is fine.
You can set focusing zoom in menu. Then use zooming with the "OK" button to help manual focusing (x7 or x10). It works great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the end I managed to get a nex 3 and lens for $100, my initial impressions are the built quality is better than I though considering the reviews and the screen is great compared to my old GF1, even the stock zoom isn't bad, its not particularly sharp but as a walk around lens it would work.

took me about 30 min playing around with the setting to realise how blessed the GF1 is with its layout and interface, honestly I would probably never choose the nex over the lipid!!

I got it at a good price and I'll definitely try the nex out more before final judgement but in reality I think I'll be selling the nex off again purely because of the interface Confused

I'll see if I can get my hands on one of the higher end models to see how I fair with everything but at this point it seems I'll be keeping my beautiful GF1:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Consider the NEX-6 Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
in the end I managed to get a nex 3 and lens for $100, my initial impressions are the built quality is better than I though considering the reviews and the screen is great compared to my old GF1, even the stock zoom isn't bad, its not particularly sharp but as a walk around lens it would work.

took me about 30 min playing around with the setting to realise how blessed the GF1 is with its layout and interface, honestly I would probably never choose the nex over the lipid!!

I got it at a good price and I'll definitely try the nex out more before final judgement but in reality I think I'll be selling the nex off again purely because of the interface Confused

I'll see if I can get my hands on one of the higher end models to see how I fair with everything but at this point it seems I'll be keeping my beautiful GF1:)

Before you lock into the NEX-3, you might take a look at the NEX-6. They're being closed out now that the A6000 is available, and the NEX-6 offers everything the NEX-3 offers plus a magnificent EVF. They now sell for more than $300 less than in February 2013 when I bought mine.

Even though I purchased an A7 in February, I would not think of traveling without my NEX-6 as backup. I keep the 16mm/Ultra-Wide Adapter on it and pull it out whenever I just want a super wide shot. I also have an 8mm Rokinon for it, plus a 55-210mm zoom and of course, the brilliant 16-50PZ. IMO, the NEX-6 is, hands down, the most amazing bang-for-buck camera available today.

Check https://www.flickr.com/photos/melsnyder/sets/72157645470578305/ for my Lausanne to Lavaux trip last year, and see how the NEX-6 performs with a range of settings and lenses. Not saying you can't get great shots with the NEX-3, but once you use the NEX-6 EVF in bright sunlight, you'll see the advantages immediately. And the same or better LCD is available if/when you want it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy days, can across an ad in the Gumtree listings here and picked myself up a pen lite epl3 for $150:)

it is small and the lack of a front grip is an issue as I have large hands but so far I'm actually quite happy!!

after trying the nex 3 and really not liking it I'm pleased I managed to find another MFT camera that I like and can keep using my original lenses and adapters.

its also missing of the handy buttons that the GF1 has but its not a bad layout.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, welcome back to Olympus. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink indeed, quite excited to see how the ibis compares! not too impressed with the kit zoom so i think im going to let it go, been a bit spoiled by only using primes...

I'm trying to see if I can get a front grip piece for it, I know they exist but can't seem to find any online.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
Wink indeed, quite excited to see how the ibis compares! not too impressed with the kit zoom so i think im going to let it go, been a bit spoiled by only using primes...

I'm trying to see if I can get a front grip piece for it, I know they exist but can't seem to find any online.

Maybe this ?
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Camera-Grip-G2-Rounded-Contour-3M-Adhesive-Olympus-E-PL3-XZ-1-Canon-V1-J2-/261625258615?pt=UK_Photography_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3cea14a277