Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The VNEX-system
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Henry that's a beautiful combo... and the results are incredible of clarity, sharpness, depth, warmth.
Extraordinary, imho.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Leitz Colorplan 2.5/90mm on VNEX Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW, Henry that's a beautiful combo... and the results are incredible of clarity, sharpness, depth, warmth.
Extraordinary, imho.

Embarassed You embarrasses me.. thanks for compliments..

Here is an additional possibility with the VNEX i realize today after getting a Leitz Colorplan 2.5/90mm from a Leitz Pradovit slideprojector.

One of the easiest things to bring to the Sony NEX cams..

For this version of the Colorplan, you need an additional "Retro-Ring" from the VNEX System and the VNEX itself. if you dont want to use the retroring, which came with your VNEX complete Set, you can buy one for 11 Euro + shipping.

This Retro - Ring has a filterthreaddiameter of 40.5 mm for some modern enlarger lenses.. and an inner M39 thread normally for for combining the 25mm extension tube from VNEX System.

The inner diameter of the Leitz Colorplan is exactly 40mm...

This gives the possibility, to use the Retro-Ring in that tube, to build an "inner (female) M39 screw - mount" for connecting the lens to the VNEX M39 part of the focus helix, without the need for one of the normal 6,9 or 12mm connectors..

Have a look..

Now we are ready to connect the lens to the VNEX System.. thats all.

from now on you can focus the Colorplan from about 60-70cm to infinity (and behind)..

Me i did take the Retro-Ring, adding a bit of glue to the 40.5mm thread part and nailed the Retroring in the tube.. fits perfect and makes a very strong connection between this two parts..

For all of you, who likes to make images with open aperture lenses, the Colorplan on the VNEX does a great job.

Unfortunately, weather is bad today.. so i did only some quick Shots..

and a crop..

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are some first samples of the Leitz Colorplan 2.5/90mm.. taken today in our local store..

Its really fun to play around with that lens, i did buy for 10 bucks.. Very Happy

IMHO its better than the Leitz Hektor 2.8/85mm, but heavier and larger in tube lenght.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ones Henry!
Unbelievable clarity!
There was a chap, I think he posted on one of your threads, who sustained that an enlarger/projector lens cannot be used for this kind of photos.
Where is he know to see these ones? ( rhetorical question; I know he's no longer here). Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed ! Very Happy

What are people's reactions when they see you take photos with this combination ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Very nice indeed ! Very Happy

What are people's reactions when they see you take photos with this combination ?

Very Happy Most of people didn't notice that. Maybe they think .. its an old Leica M2 or so because of the tube in front of the camera..
Maybe they think.. "ouch.. poor boy .. because he cant buy a modern cam".. Very Happy

Only if you travel to places, where photographers with big DSLR cams they are wondering, whats going on with my camera and why is there a silver tube in Front of the NEX.. ???

And sometimes they ask directly whats on that expensive SONY NEX 7 cam.

On the last camera fair in Hamburg i did take the NEX/VNEX combination with me to check some enlarger and other lenses on the VNEX.. before buying..

Most of the sellers are Shocked what is possible today.. Very Happy

But its excellent... you come into discussions with the people, you would really not have without the system. And often the sellers are willing to give a special price for their gear.

On the other hand i have to be careful with informations, if professionel sellers are in the house and see this VNEX. The prices for the lens offerings are growing higher and higher fast for these lenses.. Laughing

Its a nice and funny thing to take pictures with this lenses.. and they are cheap compaired to the "normal SLR lenses" we all do know..

Me i have a very fine collection of Leica, Angenieux, Meyer Görlitz, Canon FD high grade lenses.. for SLR.. i know them nearly all after about 200-300 lenses i did have for finding "my personal" taste in lens behavior.

Sometimes for me reading about "old SLR Lenses" is become a "boring thing". To read the fifth millions Thread of Helios 44M-2 or Leica or Nikon Glas.. and after all these brilliant lenses are out of the "used market" and the prices growing higher and higher, my aim with the VNEX was to see things i havent seen before.. not follow the mainstream any longer.

The VNEX is - as a side aspect beside using enlarger lenses - a great thing to reseach some experimental things and sometimes your ideas with a lens you want to try out, can mechanical fit on the system and sometimes not.

But for sure.. the VNEX is the system for bringing back "the child in the man gene".. Shocked who wants to explore the world of uncommon lenses, you cant simply adapt with an chinese adaptor.

To tinker with the old stuff from slide projectors, cinema lenses, enlarger lenses satisfies the gene in most of mens world, for building something by handicraft.. so beside the photographical aspect for the lenses, it fullfills exactly that part in me

Some of the results are really amazing.. and often you can get similar results only with expensive high end lenses.

For example the Canon SH 1.7/30mm from a Canon DEMI EE 17 halfframe cam.. gives me same or better results (swirly bokoh, beautiful catseyes etc..) compaired to my Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 1.5/75mm..

The Canon lens i did buy for only 8 Euro... everyone knows, that a Biotar is about 500 Euros !!!

160 g against 580 g on Biotar..

The Biotar is a 70mm beast.. the Canon only 26mm in height dimension.. and 2 x sharper overall.

For me, its a fun to play around with the VNEX and find lots of cheap lenses with exzellent results.. ! So the fun i did have years ago, when i started to collect old lenses for little money cames back with the VNEX.. mostly the lenses are cheap, cheap, cheap compaird to SLR lenses.. and there are a lot more arguments.

My about 50 different lenses for VNEX and Sony NEX are stored in 2 little boxes... 30 x 17 x 8 cm..

For my whole collection of SLR lenses, i do need a cupboard of 135 x 70 x 40cm..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed some incredible results with your VNEX, the Leitz Colorplan is really sharp and what a lovely bokeh Shocked ..
Probably a stupid question and because I must admit I did not followed the all thread Embarassed , is it possible to use your VNEX system and all these great lenses on a DSL-R Nikon body (FF) and with infinity focus Confused Question ......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Indeed some incredible results with your VNEX, the Leitz Colorplan is really sharp and what a lovely bokeh Shocked ..
Probably a stupid question and because I must admit I did not followed the all thread Embarassed , is it possible to use your VNEX system and all these great lenses on a DSL-R Nikon body (FF) and with infinity focus Confused Question ......

With lenses which have focal lenght > 80mm ... yes, but you lost about 2mm in focus extension because you have to limit that intrusion of the tube because Nikons do have the mechanical aperture Lever inside the mirrorbox.. if you need the complete intrusion oft the Tube to get infinity with your lens (which i dont know at this point) you are not able to get infinity..

With success we do use the to a T2 > Canon EF Adaptor remounted VNEX Helix with focal lenght > 80mm.. 80mm, 105mm and so on.. no problem anyway.

But i havent got a Nikon, so i cant answer all the questions about the use on a Nikon

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments Henry.
They show you're having a lot of fun developing this system. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
pich900 wrote:
... , is it possible to use your VNEX system and all these great lenses on a DSL-R Nikon body (FF) and with infinity focus Confused Question ......

But i havent got a Nikon, so i cant answer all the questions about the use on a Nikon

I guess it should not be a problem. Perhaps I can lent my D1 to Henry for a while so that he can try a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

With lenses which have focal lenght > 80mm ... yes, but you lost about 2mm in focus extension because you have to limit that intrusion of the tube because Nikons do have the mechanical aperture Lever inside the mirrorbox.. if you need the complete intrusion oft the Tube to get infinity with your lens (which i dont know at this point) you are not able to get infinity..

With success we do use the to a T2 > Canon EF Adaptor remounted VNEX Helix with focal lenght > 80mm.. 80mm, 105mm and so on.. no problem anyway.

Cheers
Henry

Thanks Henry for the extra information......

LucisPictor wrote:

I guess it should not be a problem. Perhaps I can lent my D1 to Henry for a while so that he can try a bit.

Thanks also Carsten, I will be for sure interesting to see some experimentation with a Nikon body Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: VNEX on m43? Reply with quote

Hi!

Have you considered or attempted use of VNEX on m43? I love my e-m5, but would be very interested to try some of the lenses you've used on it. It looks like a great way to experiment!

I know that m43 has 20mm registration distance, while NEX has 18mm, so it may not be possible, or may be limited in some way the VNEX on NEX is not....

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VNEX on m43? Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:
Hi!

Have you considered or attempted use of VNEX on m43? I love my e-m5, but would be very interested to try some of the lenses you've used on it. It looks like a great way to experiment!

I know that m43 has 20mm registration distance, while NEX has 18mm, so it may not be possible, or may be limited in some way the VNEX on NEX is not....

Cheers!

µFT bayonett - mount diameter is to small for the intrusion of the VNEX tube.. unfortunatelly. The mount limits the intrusion.. we need at least a diameter of 40.5mm for the tube intrusion.. but µFT is limited to 36.1 mm ...

So its not possible or better let us say.. to tricky.

So that would be a totally different story with complete different mechanical design to bring the Lenses from M39 to a screw thread of lets say about 35mm diameter for a µFT Version which would be able to intrude deep enough for a proper infinity to a good closeup distance in focus work..

In Additon to that, the max. axial feed would be limited to 7 or 8mm... instead of 14.75mm in VNEX version.

In a µFT version it woud lost the depht of intrusion in the adaptors rear area.. the NEX has a wider diameter on adaptor rear.. so it can intrude in the overall deep of the adaptor. This means, the end of VNEX Helix tube intrudes already to a NEX camera. This is not possible on a smaller µFT mount diameter.. the µFT adaptor itself would already be the limiting factor.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VNEX on m43? Reply with quote

Hi Henry!

I appreciate your thorough explanation. I don't like what you're saying, but I understand it. Maybe I need to get a NEX as well; your invention is making it look very interesting. Giving up in-body multi-axis image stabilization would be pretty annoying, though.

Cheers!

hinnerker wrote:

µFT bayonett - mount diameter is to small for the intrusion of the VNEX tube.. unfortunatelly. The mount limits the intrusion.. we need at least a diameter of 40.5mm for the tube intrusion.. but µFT is limited to 36.1 mm ...

So its not possible or better let us say.. to tricky.

So that would be a totally different story with complete different mechanical design to bring the Lenses from M39 to a screw thread of lets say about 35mm diameter for a µFT Version which would be able to intrude deep enough for a proper infinity to a good closeup distance in focus work..

In Additon to that, the max. axial feed would be limited to 7 or 8mm... instead of 14.75mm in VNEX version.

In a µFT version it woud lost the depht of intrusion in the adaptors rear area.. the NEX has a wider diameter on adaptor rear.. so it can intrude in the overall deep of the adaptor. This means, the end of VNEX Helix tube intrudes already to a NEX camera. This is not possible on a smaller µFT mount diameter.. the µFT adaptor itself would already be the limiting factor.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: VNEX on m43? Reply with quote

glasslover wrote:
Hi Henry!

I appreciate your thorough explanation. I don't like what you're saying, but I understand it. Maybe I need to get a NEX as well; your invention is making it look very interesting. Giving up in-body multi-axis image stabilization would be pretty annoying, though.

Cheers!

Emphasis mine. I agree! I am really excited about the quality shown, so much so I went and bought a Leitz Wetzlar Colorplan 90mm lens before getting to the "VNEX won't work on a m4/3" (I have a Panny G2) part of this thread. Razz

Still, amazing work to those that developed the VNEX system, really awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: vnex and Fuji-X? Reply with quote

Got a Fuji X-E1 last month. There are adaptors for M39 to Fuji X, would the Vnex system work with this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: vnex and Fuji-X? Reply with quote

Cornea wrote:
Got a Fuji X-E1 last month. There are adaptors for M39 to Fuji X, would the Vnex system work with this?

The VNEX has on the camera-side a NEX bayonet. At the front it's kind of versatile. M39 is standard, but you can adapt many other sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: vnex and Fuji-X? Reply with quote

Cornea wrote:

it might work with a m39 adator for your Fuji with exchangeable inlet, to modify the VNex
means to take the Nex part away and put the VNex inlet into the Fuji adaptor

please look here:

http://www.digicamclub.de/showthread.php?t=16102

you have to check that nothing touches your internal camera parts - i do not know your cam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies. It may work, the system is just to tempting not to give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should contact Henry, our member, who has invented the VNEX-system.
Perhaps you can cooperate and produce a small series for Fuji.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: The VNEX-system Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Since the original thread has been turned into a turmoil and had to be closed, I'd like to open this new thread in which the amazing possibilities of the VNEX-system can be shown.

Any discussion about Off-topic subjects such as if this lens or that one generally is appropriate for adaptation or not will be deleted.
So, please stick to the topic. It would really be a shame if this forum did not have any information on the VNEX.

Hi all.

This is my first post so I would like to start with a big Thumbs Up for a great forum Very Happy

For the first time in about 15 years I now truly enjoy shooting with mf-lenses. Focus peaking is truly a awesome feature and as I see it a game changer. I used mf lenses also on my old Oly e-420 but focusing was quite hard with random end result. Now its just fun, I haven´t even mounted the kit lens Smile I have a lot of mf prime lenses but instead of collecting even more I would now like to experiment more and VNEX seems to be the only customizable system out there. Thanks Henry for developing such a versatile system Smile I´m amazed about the high quality pics posted here.

Unfortunately I´m a total noob regarding rangefinders with fixed lenses therefore I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

- Firstly, is VNEX still available and if so, how do a place an order?
- Rangefinders with fixed lenses are still easy to get and very cheap, how do I know which lenses I can demount and use with VNEX?
- Is it difficult to demount lenses from a fixed lens system, for example: Canon DEMI EE 17?
- As a beginner I would appreciate recommendations for valuable lenses suitable for VNEX and NEX.

Many Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Nik and thank you for your kind comments about this forum, in the name of all members. Very Happy

About some of your questions, have a look at this page of the topic :
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-system-t54300,start,15.html

The creator of this system is Henry aka hinnerker.
You can contact him by private message.

Canon Demi : http://forum.mflenses.com/vnex-showroom-for-enlarger-lens-pictures-t54330.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Welcome Nik and thank you for your kind comments about this forum, in the name of all members. Very Happy

About some of your questions, have a look at this page of the topic :
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-system-t54300,start,15.html

The creator of this system is Henry aka hinnerker.
You can contact him by private message.

Canon Demi : http://forum.mflenses.com/vnex-showroom-for-enlarger-lens-pictures-t54330.html

Thanks a lot for your answer Oliver.

The VNEX concept truly looks awesome and I´m surprised that the respons and the demand from the community isn´t bigger. However, it´s high on my wish list and I will definitely think about trying it out.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
I want a complete kit now!
Though, I don't have an NEX, I have FujiFilm X-E1, XF mount system.
Please let us know when this mount is supported, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggz wrote:
Very cool!
I want a complete kit now!
Though, I don't have an NEX, I have FujiFilm X-E1, XF mount system.
Please let us know when this mount is supported, thanks!

Just check with hinneker via PM. He will tell you about his plans.