Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The ultimate UV filter for digital cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: The ultimate UV filter for digital cameras? Reply with quote

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/tipps/uv-ir_cut_filter.htm

I quote from the description:

Quote:
It leads to sharpener and clearer images, since without the filter so-called ghost images caused by IR radiation and the relatively high sensitivity of the camera sensors in this bandwidth have a negative influence on image sharpness. Further positive characteristics are greater detail, three-dimensional quality and finer color gradation. The colors appear more natural.

I think Schneider is a serious company, so I tend to trust what they say about the properties of this filter.
I think I will buy one, to try. It may be useful, especially on old single coated lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The filter is therefore not suitable for lens systems with
an angle of view of more than 60°.

No putting it on a Flek then..... Sad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Quote:
The filter is therefore not suitable for lens systems with
an angle of view of more than 60°.

No putting it on a Flek then..... Sad

No, the Flek 4/20 should have a field of view of 64 degrees. Sad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean 94 degrees ? Smile

Wonder what the results would be like with this filter mounted on a Planar 1.4/50..?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sorry! that's 94 of course.

I don't think you would notice any visible improvement on a Planar T* lens because of the excellent coating that already exists.
I can shoot my Distagon 2/28 against the sun without a hood and have NO FLARE. Only an (unavoidable) ghost.

I am curious to try this filter on my Helios-40 lenses. There the coating is weak and the lens catches every possible flare. I am curious of what this filter can do, perhaps it would turn the Helios-40 into a multicoated lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B+W filter in your link is what I've heard to be the best. That
being said, the ultimate UV filter would have to be the lens cap:
100% UV block. Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

Orio wrote:
I am curious to try this filter on my Helios-40 lenses. There the coating is weak and the lens catches every possible flare. I am curious of what this filter can do, perhaps it would turn the Helios-40 into a multicoated lens!

Did you get the filter ? Had a try with your Helios-40 ?

Thanks !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:

Did you get the filter ? Had a try with your Helios-40 ?

Thanks !

Not yet, there is no shop in Italy that sells them for the moment, and I can not find them on Ebay. Also they're damn expensive and at the moment don't feel like spending so much for a filter. Maybe in a few months I'll look again.