Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The ultimate stuck filter remover
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: The ultimate stuck filter remover Reply with quote

At any time I have to screw out a filter on a lens that has suffered a small bump and it's stuck in, I wonder how to remove it. I've tried several techniques with some moderate success: rubber gloves, "boa constrictor" like wrench, several plumbing tools...

Tonight I was wondering what to try this time whilst I was cooking in the kitchen. I opened the drawer with all the kitchen gadgets, looking for a grater, when a bulb lighted in my mind when looking at this:

Yes, an opener!. A filter is not very different from a cap of a jelly jar...

So I left everything I was doing and went to try it:

It works!!

Hope this will be useful for someone else.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thats a great idea. I had a stuck filter a few years ago that drove me crazy for weeks until I finally got it off somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVP wrote:
Very clever!

+1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same kind of thing, this is also for jar lids.

But it now lives in my camera tool box. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to both hints Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a very cheap tool from Jessops for doing this.

Despite having an immense grip, my Hoya CPL has such a small grip ring I was unable to apply any pressure to it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I bought a very cheap tool from Jessops for doing this.

Despite having an immense grip, my Hoya CPL has such a small grip ring I was unable to apply any pressure to it.

Those grippers that I showed earlier are from the UK store 'Home Bargains' and cost about £5, they are also all over Ebay.
Two of those shifted the most stubborn filter I've seen, the light blue part is quite firm silicone so it doesn't scratch and it grips like a grippy thing, even right on it's edges.
They really are very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The ultimate stuck filter remover Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
At any time I have to screw out a filter on a lens that has suffered a small bump and it's stuck in, I wonder how to remove it. I've tried several techniques with some moderate success: rubber gloves, "boa constrictor" like wrench, several plumbing tools...

Glad to hear that you got the filter off... but for the next time, or for others in the same situation, keep in mind that forcefully unscrewing a jammed filter can also cause new damage to the threads on the lens! Shocked

This is especially true if the impact has caused the filter to skip a thread, or has distorted the filter so that its threads are no longer straight. Removing the filter by unscrewing it can effectively cut new threads into your lens, damaging the lens threads so that other filters will not screw on properly anymore. Neutral

For situations where the filter is damaged and stuck tight, another removal option (which is safer for the lens) is to remove the retaining ring for the glass, and then pluck the filter glass out (with a suction cup, sticky tape, or just gravity). When you are down to just an empty filter ring left, you can grab the edge with a pair of pliers and twist the pliers. This will bend a 'Z' shape into the filter ring, which will make its diameter shrink and it will simply fall off without damaging the lens threads. Wink The filter will of course not be usable after this... but filters are a lot cheaper than lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jes - that's cool [EDIT] but Jes, to be honest, forget it ...

I would also like to recommend the same to Lloydy --

but two slippers with fine rubber surface against each other - that's enough

bottom sides, of course Smile

for bigger diameters - rubber door mat on the floor and push-and-turn Smile

the torque is -- extremely efficient.

tf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst thing is developing pressure on the side of the filter

-- why?

Because you changing a RING to ELLIPSE -

and it's really hard to turn RING (LENS FILTER THREAD) against ELLIPSE (pushed filter) - that is the most common problem with unscrewing filter from lens ..

I have sent a few pictures to cooltouch a few weeks ago how to unscrew stuck filter.. Smile but he knew how to do it.

and I am going to dig them out ..

here they are Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tips Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thanks for that nice tricks!... (Trifox, Scheimpflug, Lloydy)

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter being useless on CPLs of course.