Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Sankor Lens thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that Sankor 21mm before, could you please show us some image samples?

BTW I'm still using that Sankor 2.8/35 despite owning several much more expensive and technially better 35s, the Sankor has it's charms, the rendering is just so nice, just avoid shooting it wide open unless you like diffuse glow that masks sharpness.

A couple of recent IR shots:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to further muddy the waters a bit, a spiratone 105mm that's almost certainly a sankor, and a sankyo kohki that isn't

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't muddy the waters, the one with an E after the serial number is a Sankor, the other one is a Komura. Different companies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That doesn't muddy the waters, the one with an E after the serial number is a Sankor, the other one is a Komura. Different companies.

that's certainly how i've understood it, but folks disagree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you and I are in agreement at least!

I have the Komura 135 to match your lens, looks exactly the same in barrel styling, very different to any Sankor lens, of which I have owned many and still have a few.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 400mm with the odd speed of 5,9. It has 16 blades. I find it sharp enough @ f8 but CA is always present. Compared to my Pentax A, it is bigger, heavier, but focal length is a bit more (I suspect the pentax must be a bit less than 400) I notice illumination is the same WO for both lenses. Again I suspect the Pentax might not be a true 5,6. I'll try to post pics.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Astronar/Zelar/Seimar Reply with quote

Hi, am new as a poster to this forum; I just wanted to add my finds to this thread as I've found it helpful.

I'm in Australia and these are the Sankor-made lenses I have at the moment:

Astronar 105mm f/2.4 (49mm filter)
This appears to be a rebrand of the Accura Supertel Tc 105mm f/2.4-22 (zebra). It's a preset lens with a T-mount. I find it to have fantastic contrast and colour reproduction. Came with its (original?) Astron-branded rotating hood.

Zelar 135mm f/3.2 (52mm filter)
I've found very little mention of the Zelar brand anywhere. I bought it because I was intrigued by the f/3.2 aperture. It's sharp, with haloing at f/3.2 and f/4. Great colour/flare resistance even without a hood. Colours are on the bluish side. I've seen a similar lens branded as an Accura Supertel. Seems to be a non-T-mount version of Unitel/Tokunon 135mm f3.2 but with only 6 aperture blades (rather than 16).

Seimar MC Auto 200mm f/3.5 (62mm filter)
Picked this up at the weekend. I haven't looked closely at the pics yet. It seems very good; if it's lacking compared to the others that's partly my shaky hands dealing with a big heavy lens, I think. I haven't found other brands under which this lens is sold. [EDIT: it's also an Accura Diamatic YS] Very nice green coatings on this one.

I take it the "italic" Sankors are later models?

Anyone come across a Zelar before?

Last edited by tristian on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Astronar/Zelar/Seimar Reply with quote

tristian wrote:
Hi, am new as a poster to this forum; I just wanted to add my finds to this thread as I've found it helpful.

I'm in Australia and these are the Sankor-made lenses I have at the moment:

Astronar 105mm f/2.4 (49mm filter)
This appears to be a rebrand of the Accura Supertel Tc 105mm f/2.4-22 (zebra). It's a preset lens with a T-mount. I find it to have fantastic contrast and colour reproduction. Came with its (original?) Astron-branded rotating hood.

Zelar 135mm f/3.2 (52mm filter)
I've found very little mention of the Zelar brand anywhere. I bought it because I was intrigued by the f/3.2 aperture. It's sharp, with haloing at f/3.2 and f/4. Great colour/flare resistance even without a hood. Colours are on the bluish side. I've seen a similar lens branded as an Accura Supertel. Seems to be a non-T-mount version of Unitel/Tokunon 135mm f3.2 but with only 6 aperture blades (rather than 16).

Seimar MC Auto 200mm f/3.5 (62mm filter)
Picked this up at the weekend. I haven't looked closely at the pics yet. It seems very good; if it's lacking compared to the others that's partly my shaky hands dealing with a big heavy lens, I think. I haven't found other brands under which this lens is sold. If anyone knows any I'd be interested. Very nice green coatings on this one.

I take it the "italic" Sankors are later models?

Anyone come across a Zelar before?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When purchasing the Kyoei Acall 135mm 3.5 (profiled in another thread) I was sent into the Sankor rabbit hole. I was searching ebay Sankor and noticed an uncanny resemblance between the Kowa projection lenses and the Sankor projection lenses. Anybody know of a connection there?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in common between Sankor and Sankyo Kohki (Komura) lenses, while some early Komura lenses are with all evidence Kyoei (Acall) made. Interestingly, it seems that the Kyoei clones are neither very old nor late Sankyo Kohki models. They seem to come from a time that's more or less intermediate between the oldest Komura models and the late versions released before the switch to "Komura Ltd" brand name.
It's yet another clue of the great level of collaboration/interdependence between Japanese optical firms.
Btw, the Komura 105mm, portrayed together with a T-mount Sankor-made 105mm, seems to be one of the Acall clones. I can't see very well from the picture, it seems to be a clone of a Super Acall I own... but I can't be fully sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 105mm is really nice... Always loved mine!
Never seen it labeled as Astronar before, thx for sharing...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've read this thread with interest, in particular who made the lenses as I have been trying to find out information about a little 35mm rangefinder that I have.

The top plate is Kino branded, the front panel is KMC branded, and the lens is marked Kinegon.

We all know Kino Precision didn't make camera's, KMC which is linked to Komura as far as I know didn't either. Kinegon lens references such as Tele Kinegon seem to lead to Sankyo.

However the camera is identical to the Taron VR which is Nippon Kossoki, was someone having a joke with this one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Auto-Sankor 28mm f/3.5 preset lens:

I still have to test it, I haven't already fixed the pin to change the aperture. I don't want to super-glue it but the screws are so small that my usual screwdrivers are not working. It has a near reach of about 20cm (not macro but closer than most of the other wide angle lenses I have). I haven't found much info at all about this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two test shot. Not the best pictures, backlight is too strong. I cannot judge the colors. Both were taken wide open @3.5. It seems to me that, at least in the center, it is quite sharp (see the crop). I will post more after I will fix the pin. It's a pity that it has some strong vignetting on FF, not the best for landscape, but it is still possible to crop a little.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the pin but I am truly disappointed by the results: at infinity it seems that I cannot focus the lens. Ok, I tested it hand held and with a Canon 5D but still there must be something wrong. This is the sharpest out of 3 photos:

Compare it to this photo taken with a Auto Reflexogon 28mm f/2.8 (which is not a stellar lens!) in the same conditions (sorry for the dust on my sensor, too much lens switching lately).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens probably doesn't reach infinity or goes past it. This is almost impossible to see through a optical viewfinder. You need live view en zoom in magnification for critical focus with legacy glass, the wider the lens the more difficult it gets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I could try to unscrew the lens from the adapter a bit and see if anything changes for better or worse. Not really practical however Smile.It's a pity since I have more than 20 m42 lenses and only this one seems to have this problem. But my other 28mm are not really sharp (not better than the auto Reflexogon). Are wide lenses more susceptible to flange distance errors?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they are. Wide angle lenses are much more sensitive to minute differences in distance. Put one on a small extension tube ant compare that with a 135mm on the same tube. A much greater effect on how close you can focus. Try to shoot a scene with a a lot of foreground. A road running into the distance e.g. If closer by stuff is in focus, then it doesn't reach infinity. If everything is out of focus then it overshoots infinity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested it on a Pentax K01 (APS-C sensor) with live view and Focus Peaking with magnification (and stabilizer too). I got similar results:
#1 Auto Sankor 28 mm @f/8

#2 Compare to Reflexogon 28mm @f/8

This last adapter is a Pentax original. I noticed that when it is fully screwed in the aperture scale is not centered as it should be. The Sankor is in mint condition perhaps for a reason Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
. . .
I'll take pics of my lenses and post them, if anyone has pics of other Sankors, please add them.
. . .

Here are three of my preset lenses which I believe are all Sankor made.
Left to right: Spiratone 300mm f/4.5, Aetna Tele Rokunar 135mm f/2.5 and Aetna Coligon 135mm f/2.8.

The Spiratone and Aetna Rokunar 135mm f/2.5 are both regular T mounts. But I'm not familiar with the mount on the Aetna Coligon 135mm f/2.8.

At first I thought it was a typical T mount. But when I unscrewed the (T ?) adapter, the mount underneath was larger than a T mount. My caliper is cheap so I'm not sure of the exact diameter, but it appears to be between 48 to 49mm. I did an internet search, but other than 48mm adapters for telescopes, I couldn't find anything that seemed to match this mount.
Can anyone give me some information about this?

And there's another curiosity regarding the Aetna Coligon: As you can see in the second photo, the glass has some deep scratches. The odd thing is that the scratches are on one of the inner surfaces of a cemented element pair. Question Exclamation

Edit - January, 2019: I now have a better caliper, and I believe the Aetna Coligon mount is, at least nominally, 49mm in diameter. I was wondering if the Aetna mount is the same as the Komura Unidapter. But it isn't. The Unidapter mount is 48mm in diameter with a thread pitch of .75mm while the Aetna Coligon is 49mm in diameter with a 1mm pitch.

And I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in about the Aetna's unusual mount. Surely my lens isn't unique?

So oddly enough I encountered the same exact Aetna-Coligon 135mm F2.8 that you have and mine also has some very visible scratches on the glass element behind the front glass that's cemented together. I was looking this lens up and saw your post and was kind of surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emptypixels wrote:
. . .

So oddly enough I encountered the same exact Aetna-Coligon 135mm F2.8 that you have and mine also has some very visible scratches on the glass element behind the front glass that's cemented together. I was looking this lens up and saw your post and was kind of surprised.

Thanks for posting. Interesting! After I read your comment, I took a closer look at my 135 through a macro lens.
It appears the "scratches" are actually strings of tiny bubbles. And there are some larger bubbles I hadn't noticed before.

Could this be element separation? Or just a result of the manufacturing process? I don't know.
(Click the photos to see a larger size.)

#2 cropped

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen such thing before. 🤔 I'd send it back to the manufacturer. 🤭

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Never seen such thing before. 🤔 I'd send it back to the manufacturer. 🤭

Ha, yeah, thanks a lot. Wink

I also haven't seen such bubbles before. It'll be interesting to watch and see if they grow..?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Other Sankor lenses Reply with quote

I had a certain number of vintage lenses trapped abroad in a house I had rented before Covid.
For a number of reasons I could not go back earlier, but finally I could go.... and now I got back to the EU with my suitcase (and cabin luggage!) filled with lenses Smile
Among them some Sankor-made objectives...
I had used the 2.5/105mm lenses for portraits, with great results. Now I want to try the others, that were purchased more recently just because of the great performance shown by their shorter brothers.
I left behind one of the two 105mm's. It's too good a lens, in my humble opinion, to have both in the same place.
I feel glad that the next time I go I will find it in my "travel photography bag", along with some other lenses that couldn't find room in my luggage.

Here is the YS version of the 105mm f/2.5. I removed the YS (auto M42) socket you can see in the second picture and exchanged it for a T-mount PK ring. With modern digital cameras auto lenses are of no use, unless they have electric contacts too...
I did the same thing to almost all the other native T-mount lenses. Now they have dumb PK bayonets instead of the M42 screw mounts.

Here are two ugly pics of the Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 f=105mm I didn't bring with me. Sorry for the quality, it's from the original eBay page Sad

With the two 105mm I own I took some beautiful portraits, and now they are among my favourite. I love the optical signature, sharp enough but very smooth, with a very pleasing bokeh.
Here is the Pentax K-1 I used to shoot the portraits, see how tiny the Spiratone Tc 1:2.5 f=105mm looks on a massive FF DSLR.

and here is one of the many portraits I took. I chose this one even if the face is slightly OOF because it shows how smooth is the transition from in focus to out of focus (the finger and part of the garments are more than sharp enough, while the face, a little OOF, looks almost pictorial). You can open the picture in another tab, and check all the tags on Flickr (I try to use LensTagger as much as possible to remind myself of the lens I used and of the shooting data). You can also view two other photos taken with the same lens, shoulder to should with this one. Many others are shown on the first page of my Flickr photostream, if you scroll down a little.
Maybe I'm too overexcited, but I really love how this lens renders. I guess some of you would disagree.

Chinese New Year, child in costume by spaulein, on Flickr

Here are the other Sankors I just brought home.

Tokunon 1:3.2 f=135mm

Family portraits of Spiratone Tc 1:2.5 f?105mm, Accura Supertel Tc 1:2.8 f=135mm later serial, Accura Supertel Tc 1:2.8 f=135mm earlier serial.
The two 135mm lenses have very different weight, and slightly different length and front element size. The one on the right, with earlier serial is shorter and heavier.

If any of you has tried any of these lenses, I'd be grateful if you chime in and report about your own experience.
I haven't opened any of these lenses, apart from the YS one, that needed some fungus cleaning. Unfortunately I don't remember at all the number of elements. Maybe I didn't even touch the optics behind the diaphragm...
Now I don't have a strong electric torch at hand. If anybody is interested I could try to guess the number of elements/groups from the reflections.
My wild guess is that the 135mm with earlier serial has some kind of Ernostar design, like some early Komuras, while the latter one could have a standard 4G/4E optical layout.
Regarding the two 105mm, they look different but I don't believe they have a different optical scheme. I don't have the Accura YS here, I believe it has more or less the same weight of the Spiratone, while the Tokunon 3.2/135mm is much lighter. Given that the Tokunon is not a triplet (it shows at least seven reflections), I believe it's a common 4G/4E tele design, and the two 105mm might be some kind of Ernostar or even it's successor, the Sonnar. I'm super curious to know if anybody has any info about the optical designs.

P.S.
After I saw the pics I took with the phone, I decided that I got to dust the glasses Rolling Eyes

Ciao
Paolo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Mayfair Sankor F:3.5 135mm Reply with quote

I found another Sankor-made lens in an odd place. It will go in the same cupboard as all the others...
This lens is really tiny, and when I tested it taking pictures of other lenses, it proved to be decently sharp. I had no way to test the OOF rendering or the way it works as a portrait lens. I don't think it's such a great portrait lens, though.

Mayfair Sankor F:3.5 135mm