Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Sankor Lens thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a nice Spiratone Tc 1:2.5 105mm, that has the typical design of Sankor preset lenses.
I have been lucky, it's like new and I was the sole bidder, cause the title of the auction mentioned only the accessory (Spiratone 2x telXtender), and not the lens itself.
I already ordered a cheap T-2 PK mount from China, cause the one that comes with the lens is for Nikon cameras.
I've read many positive comments about this lens, soon I will see how it performs compared to the Komura of identical speed/FL.
I have a special liking for Sankor's zebra objectives, in both versions.

I did some research, and found that probably the various rebrands played a little with advertised speed.
This lens looks practically identical to mine, but was sold as f/2.4, instead of f/2.5:

The same way, there were two very similar Sankor-made lenses that were either sold as 3.9/200mm or 4/200mm.
I have also seen a 135mm f/3.2. Maybe a bit too much optimistic if it's an f/3.5. Maybe it's a different design.
Any clue?
I know of at least two Vivitar lenses that were marked with an "optimistic" max aperture... so it wouldn't be a surprise Smile

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 105mm Reply with quote

My Spiratone looked quite bad in picture, but in reality it looks almost like new.
I decided to try my luck once more.
I found the auto version of what seems to be the same lens.
It's marked Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 105mm.
I'll check in due time if the reflections and the size of the external glasses are the same. From the shape of the barrel it could even be another design.
I paid it less than 45 euros, shipment from the USA included, so it's not a huge investment.
The glasses look terrible, maybe it will clean up, maybe not, but at least I'll have an YS adapter in M42 mount! Smile
If it cleans up nicely, maybe in the future I might even find for it an YS ring in PK mount. It would be more practical.
The style of the barrel is not as attractive as the two previous (preset) zebra versions. IMHO old preset Sankors are among the most gorgeous vintage lenses.
This lens is way more anonymous.
In my opinion most lens makers lost both aesthetic value and build quality in the transition from preset to automatic lenses.
Maybe I would have skipped this lens if it didn't come with the YS mount, and if I wasn't interested in comparing it with the other 105mm.

Here is the lens, what do you think of the state of the glasses? From the pictures, would you deem it cleanable?
I hope the beauty ring will come off easily. The front is bent in two places Sad

Last edited by cyberjunkie on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the grunge seems to be on the front element.
Should clean up OK.
Interested to see your results
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Most of the grunge seems to be on the front element.
Should clean up OK.
Interested to see your results

Thanks.
I take it as a wish of good luck Smile
I will post my findings. For the moment I can't test the Spiratone 2.5/105mm cause I'm still waiting for the T-2 mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 105mm Reply with quote

In my opinion most lens makers lost both aesthetic value and build quality in the transition from preset to automatic lenses.

I agree with you, the evolution in glass pushed the weight and the quality of mechanics to less, it's like the makers agreed that best quality of glass with less quality of mechanics would mean more sales for them, or even more money from CLA .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this Accura Supertel Tc 1:2.8 135mm.
It looks almost like new. It even has the original box and papers.
Bought it on a whim, without even asking to see a picture of the glass and of the mount.
The vendor asked TWICE if I really wanted to buy it, saying that there was no return and that the lens is very old Smile
Fortunately I managed to convince him to ship the lens via USPS First Class International (from the USA), so the shipment costs me a little more than the lens, not two or three times its price.
I already have a Sankor-made 2.8/135mm, marked Soligor, but it is an "auto" lens, with the typical A/M ring, the same seen in most late Sankor lenses. If I remember correctly the switch was also present in non-M42 lenses. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The optical design of that lens might well be different from the old preset one.

Before the pics, one little note.
I have found that the list of different Sankor models at the start of this thread is missing at least a couple of objectives.
For example, one of those that have not been mentioned is the 1.9/85mm.
I have seen it in the most common zebra version, the same as the following lens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the 85mm f/1.9...this was mine, I sold it a while back though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

braz wrote:

Nice lens!
Did you test it?
Interestingly, it has the same barrel style of some early zebra models, but is all-black.

Regarding the number of elements of the 2.8/135mm, here is an old Spiratone ad that states that the design is a four elements.
I am curious about the difference between the heavier and the lighter versions. Maybe one was a Sonnar, and the other a classic 4E/4G tele design.
The model in the picture looks to be the heavier one, with tapered focusing ring and aperture values on both preset and diaphragm rings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure my f.r.b 105mm f2.4 is a sankor.

Looks the same as the accura supertel 105mm f2.4 pics above. And the series E 105mm reckoned to be sankor, but a f2.5.
Initial pics look nice, but not quite as sharp as the pentacon 100mm that arrived the same day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I'm pretty sure my f.r.b 105mm f2.4 is a sankor.

Looks the same as the accura supertel 105mm f2.4 pics above. And the series E 105mm reckoned to be sankor, but a f2.5.
Initial pics look nice, but not quite as sharp as the pentacon 100mm that arrived the same day.

Looks practically identical to my 2.5/105mm Spiratone.
Can you please post a picture of the front?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go cyberjunkie:

yep that's the 15 blade iris.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
braz wrote:

Nice lens!
Did you test it?
Interestingly, it has the same barrel style of some early zebra models, but is all-black.

It was pretty nice, I CLA'd it so it worked great. But I preferred my S-M-C Takumar 85mm f/1.8. Also have a Canon new FD and Nikkor Pre-AI 85mm, so I let the Sankor go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 105mm Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
My Spiratone looked quite bad in picture, but in reality it looks almost like new.
I decided to try my luck once more.
I found the auto version of what seems to be the same lens.
It's marked Accura Diamatic YS 1:2.5 105mm.
I'll check in due time if the reflections and the size of the external glasses are the same. From the shape of the barrel it could even be another design.
I paid it less than 45 euros, shipment from the USA included, so it's not a huge investment.
The glasses look terrible, maybe it will clean up, maybe not, but at least I'll have an YS adapter in M42 mount! Smile
If it cleans up nicely, maybe in the future I might even find for it an YS ring in PK mount. It would be more practical.
The style of the barrel is not as attractive as the two previous (preset) zebra versions. IMHO old preset Sankors are among the most gorgeous vintage lenses.
This lens is way more anonymous.
Maybe I would have skipped this lens if it didn't come with the YS mount, and if I wasn't interested in comparing it with the other 105mm.

Here is the lens, what do you think of the state of the glasses? From the pictures, would you deem it cleanable?
I hope the beauty ring will come off easily. The front is bent in two places Sad

Finally this lens was sold. It was probably on ebay for a while. I have the newer version: a Rokunar YS 105mm f/2.5 by Sankor. I love that lens. Cool color.
Hopefully yours can be cleaned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Finally this lens was sold. It was probably on ebay for a while. I have the newer version: a Rokunar YS 105mm f/2.5 by Sankor. I love that lens. Cool color.

Still waiting for this lens...
The main reason I bought it is the way it is shaped Smile I want to see if it's the same design as the older zebra version. The shape of the barrel is quite different. Maybe it's just because it's an auto lens, and not a preset.

Thinking of differences... I wonder why there are all these models with slightly different maximum aperture :
2.4/105mm and 2.5/105mm
3.2/135mm and 3.5/135mm
3.9/200mm and 4/200mm
I don't think there were so many different designs with the same focal length. Maybe it was just a marketing trick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Still waiting for this lens...
The main reason I bought it is the way it is shaped Smile I want to see if it's the same design as the older zebra version. The shape of the barrel is quite different. Maybe it's just because it's an auto lens, and not a preset.

Thinking of differences... I wonder why there are all these models with slightly different maximum aperture :
2.4/105mm and 2.5/105mm
3.2/135mm and 3.5/135mm
3.9/200mm and 4/200mm
I don't think there were so many different designs with the same focal length. Maybe it was just a marketing trick

I would guess the optics is the same for Zebra (earlier version), the lens you just got (middle version) and the Rokunar I have (later version, with rubber
focus ring).

I once also wondered why there are many designs in maximum aperture between those once-cheap lenses. Most likely marketing tricks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I've recently bought an Unitor lens (see image above), 300 mm f5. It's great, very sharp, even wide open. Circa 1976 ( I've found similar, almost the same lens branded Fokanon with Exacta mount: https://vintagelens.nl/product/fokanon-auto-300mm-f5-0-exakta-mount/[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gower wrote:

Hello, I've recently bought an Unitor lens (see image above), 300 mm f5. It's great, very sharp, even wide open. Circa 1976 (http://www.ihagee.org/Lenzen/Exaktalenslist201706a.pdf). I've found similar, almost the same lens branded Fokanon with Exacta mount: https://vintagelens.nl/product/fokanon-auto-300mm-f5-0-exakta-mount/[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this thread! Do you have any information on the scheme of this lens (28mm/f3.5)? I have one branded "EDIXAR"

I would need to know how the lenses inside exactly are aligned and grouped!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
. . .
I'll take pics of my lenses and post them, if anyone has pics of other Sankors, please add them.
. . .

Here are three of my preset lenses which I believe are all Sankor made.
Left to right: Spiratone 300mm f/4.5, Aetna Tele Rokunar 135mm f/2.5 and Aetna Coligon 135mm f/2.8.

The Spiratone and Aetna Rokunar 135mm f/2.5 are both regular T mounts. But I'm not familiar with the mount on the Aetna Coligon 135mm f/2.8.

At first I thought it was a typical T mount. But when I unscrewed the (T ?) adapter, the mount underneath was larger than a T mount. My caliper is cheap so I'm not sure of the exact diameter, but it appears to be between 48 to 49mm. I did an internet search, but other than 48mm adapters for telescopes, I couldn't find anything that seemed to match this mount.
Can anyone give me some information about this?

And there's another curiosity regarding the Aetna Coligon: As you can see in the second photo, the glass has some deep scratches. The odd thing is that the scratches are on one of the inner surfaces of a cemented element pair. Question Exclamation

Edit - January, 2019: I now have a better caliper, and I believe the Aetna Coligon mount is, at least nominally, 49mm in diameter. I was wondering if the Aetna mount is the same as the Komura Unidapter. But it isn't. The Unidapter mount is 48mm in diameter with a thread pitch of .75mm while the Aetna Coligon is 49mm in diameter with a 1mm pitch.

And I'm surprised nobody else has chimed in about the Aetna's unusual mount. Surely my lens isn't unique?

These are some unusual and epic lenses. You either know it or don't know it, it's not about believing something Very HappyD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost certainly a Sankor, but there is no mention of the Sankor name, only Series E.

Great lens as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks for the info Luis.

Two of mine are presets with T mounts, the other two have A/M switches. I'm interested in all Sankors.

There seems to be a link with Sun too as the characteristic font style used by Sankor appears on Sun lenses too, so does that mean they were made by Sankor and sold with Sun branding? Or Sun and Sankyo bought barrel parts from the same supplier?

Who knows, some study might not get us anywhere either.

I'll take pics of my lenses and post them, if anyone has pics of other Sankors,please add them.

Here's my 2.8/35:

Peformance is a cut above other third party 35s I've tried; a bit soft and glowy wide open but from f4 it's razor sharp, this image was shot at f4:

I've just noticed that the behavior of the bokeh of this lens is normal - I was worried about it being caused by dust or something. For now, after opening the lens, cleaning the elements and putting it back together the focal lenght doesn't fit the description anymore. Is this normal? Which of the elements I could have put back in upside down (which ones would look very similar no matter how one would turn these) or could this be an issue of not having screwed something in properly? I'm kind of worried because I recently have developed a fad for wide angle primes and as a film shooter I would like to see more photos made by me using this particular lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the Sankor Komura 200/4,5 IQ lens?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Aetna Rokunar / Sankor 21/3.8 Reply with quote

I have had this lens for some time and been meaning to post it here. A quite unusual focal length for a Sankor made lens, I haven't noticed another in general searching.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aetna Rokunar / Sankor 21/3.8 Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I have had this lens for some time and been meaning to post it here. A quite unusual focal length for a Sankor made lens, I haven't noticed another in general searching.

Wow, never seen this one from Sankor.

Mine on the way is a 105mm f/2.8 Accura YS, all black version. I've got another slightly more modern version and I like that lens.