Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Return of the Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focusing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That's really an exceptional set of images you've put together, piggsy. Very impressive. Do you know what species that bird is? Geez, I wish I had such subject matter at my disposal. I'm lucky if I find bugs on a tomato plant!

That's a noisy miner bird. They are almost, but not quite at plague proportions here - really their main attractive feature is that they (in combination with the rainbow lorikeets) seem to completely fill the same niche as the horror show that is the common myna around here and squeeze them out.

They're cute until there are hundreds of them going eE eE eeE every .25 seconds, filling the trees and mobbing/swooping literally every other bird or other potential predator that exists Very Happy

And thanks on the photos! That's like, a walk down about 2-3 blocks around my house here in East Brisbane. Summer's a lot better for bugs though.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest of today's pics with the 2xMFTC. Have to say I'm really impressed with this combo - really wish I had a proper hood for this, and my flash setup could use a proper diffuser to go with this kind of range (I have a ghetto one I made out of foam, and the Fstoppers Flashdisc, neither of which are at all up to macro lighting at these kinds of working distances with the FL600R), but apart from that, holy crap I did not expect anything like this kind of quality.

^ think that's a sugarbag bee being eaten there, which are not at all large bees, and you can still make out the details on its wings and pollen sacs through the web Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tidy examples piggsy! And welcome to the forum mate Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Very tidy examples piggsy! And welcome to the forum mate Very Happy

Thanks! I have to say this seems like a much better setup you guys have here than the wonderings-aloud of people who heard of a guy who used a manual lens once you sometimes see on other forums Very Happy

Ob. shot of lens on camera -

I made something up today that will hopefully do better for using the FL600R with it -

Velcro dots, craft glue, alfoil, packing foam, rubber band, milk carton with the ends cut off Very Happy

Seems to do OK - didn't have the MFTC on the lens for this shot, but guesstimated the typical distance/aperture with just the 135CF itself (blinking -3.0ev and just before the sun totally disappeared, in the shade) -

and as a bit of fill flash out in the front yard, last sun again -

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not to turn this into my gallery or anything, but tonight I put it through one of the harsher tests imaginable -

2xmftc

complete darkness

flash lighting

black specularly reflective bugs

and here's how it did -

Again, not at all a bad piece of work, this thing. As with all the images if you look really close (too close for anywhere other than, I dunno, dpreview Very Happy) you find various things it does less well, but still. For a lens this inexpensive, this old (75-82, I'm reading?), teleconverted and given a 2x crop on top of the 2xtc, I feel I can't reasonably complain about anything at all. Really damn hard to handle though. Factor in the crop and TC, and the lack of accurate IBIS for the TC'd length, then add focusing using a weak-ish LED (so the bugs don't get annoyed) and the EVF boosted to maximum brightness and you have your work cut out. I think I would rather go back to failing at birds in flight Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my copy...

And some pics..

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results Kryss, a keeper for sure. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed... Much appreciated Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
This is my copy...

Wow! First silver one I've ever seen! Where did you get it? What mount is it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax mount, a gentleman on Pentax Forum...Look for "Pimped lenses" but not cheap . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Pentax mount, a gentleman on Pentax Forum...Look for "Pimped lenses" but not cheap . Rolling Eyes

Interesting... 🙃

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

last I looked Brian aka dcshooter had got bumped off PF or had his account closed .... not sure what happened!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators won't say because they don't discuss moderation action against individual members, other that people will only get a permanent ban when all other options have failed or when they are spammers. Adam even goes so far as the advise not to do business with DCshooter. On why not he is silent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical for politically old fashioned Pentax Forum,run by 19th century anachronism.

Try Brian Gohacki @bwg7@law.georgetown.edu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 great shots + lens Chris!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
many thanks my friend.

Nice lens and pics. I should dig out mine and do a test. Having been busy collecting 135mm preset, I almost forgot my beloved 135mm CF.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow...... Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Nice lens and pics. I should dig out mine and do a test. < . . . >

Me too! Soon as I find it . . . I think we might have some flowers blooming now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it mostly for non-macro work and find it excellent too. Here are a couple of samples on full frame:

At f2.8:

100% magnification of the photo above:

At f/8 (straight out of the camera):

I find it very sharp, and I like its bokeh.