Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Resonance of the Rain Forest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: The Resonance of the Rain Forest Reply with quote

My recent long hike entailed initially walking on 5 miles of road that was closed due to flooding from the huge winter storm of January 2007. I was rather lamenting those additional miles added to my overall trip. In actuality, however, I was enamored to be able to "see" more from foot than I ever could in an automobile.

I had often driven by this small stream, but never thought to leave the car and travel upstream a few hundred meters. Since I was on foot, I dropped my pack and made my way upstream with the K110D and the Tamron SP zoom.

I ended up standing here for 30 minutes or more, just watching and listening to the sound of the water, the rustle of the leaves, and the play of the dim light under the rain forest canopy. Finally, I brought the camera up and found a capture that, to me, exudes a lot of the composition of the rain forest structure. The leaves - wet with light rain - seemed to be a family of textures that were in variance with the falling water, yet they also seemed nevertheless to be harmonius with the water.

While this is not a particularly complex image, I found that I needed to recompose several times to try to garner what I feel is the essence of this little diorama of light and tone. Even then, I was not able to stop all motion, since there were vortices of wind and air currents caused by the water itself.

In the final analysis, I felt that I actually the presence of "motion" here and there to add dynamicism to the scene. I tried a polarizing filter to mute the highlights, but it did not seem to be "true" to what I was seeing. I also attempted to brighten the image, but again it took me away from what I felt I was seeing.

So, in the end I simply did nothing to this image, other than resizing down to about one-half of original.

To me (and perhaps to me only), the more I look at this image, the more I personally feel it shows a quality of the fairyland of the rain forest - a sort of microcosm of the elements that create such a fantasy of greens for us.

Rain Forest Resonance
Tamron SP 70-210 @ 80mm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luscious and deep greens, flowing waters, yes Larry has come back Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shot, Larry, lush and verdant indeed! No landscape contractor can
best Mother Nature. Wink

Bill, sometimes "Bob" Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fantastic shot with an almost philosophical text. Thanks for being back, Larry!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image is far from your normal (very high) standard. I think you have fallen into a trap I know very well.
"It looks good because I was there, and the memories is haft a picture"

Still I would have been happy to shoot this piture, but you have way more skills, than I ever will get.

Maybe a little hash, that was NOT intended, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shot Laurence! so much nice green in a box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beautiful Larry. Looks like a fairyland picture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: Luscious and deep greens, flowing waters, yes Larry has come back

Thanks as always, Orio!
--------------------------------------------------
Bill wrote: Beautiful shot, Larry, lush and verdant indeed! No landscape contractor can
best Mother Nature.
Bill, sometimes "Bob"

Bill, it certainly IS lush, and I simply love anything green!
-------------------------------------------------
Chris wrote: Great shot Larry. Your views are classic. Sure you're not Ansel reborn?

Well, this is certainly the classic view of the rain forest. Perhaps that is why I liked the place.
------------------------------------------------
Lucis Pictor wrote: A fantastic shot with an almost philosophical text. Thanks for being back, Larry!

Thank YOU Carsten!
-----------------------------------------------
Henrik wrote: This image is far from your normal (very high) standard. I think you have fallen into a trap I know very well.
"It looks good because I was there, and the memories is haft a picture"
Still I would have been happy to shoot this piture, but you have way more skills, than I ever will get.
Maybe a little hash, that was NOT intended, thanks for sharing.

I am very happy to hear any words, HenrikQ No, I have no feeling that you are harsh! I ABSOLUTELY appreciate your honesty, and after thinking about this, I can fully understand the trap I may have fallen into. I may be integrating my feelings about the beauty too much into the image I see, and forgetting the technical aspects. Your observation is VERY much appreciated.
----------------------------------------------
poilu wrote: nice shot Laurence! so much nice green in a box

thanks as always poilu. There is certainly a lot of green!
----------------------------------------------
Ron wrote: Just beautiful Larry. Looks like a fairyland picture.

Thanks Ron, I always like to see your work as well, and look forward to it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

Another slice of green heaven - light was pretty difficult in there.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me (and perhaps to me only), the more I look at this image, the more I personally feel it shows a quality of the fairyland of the rain forest

I must be getting senile, I either didn't notice or forgot that you said this, but it was my thought exactly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the shot for a book ... Smile nice

tf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence

Another slice of green heaven - light was pretty difficult in there.
patrickh

Yup, the light was dim to begin with, and then this was about at dusk. Thanks for looking in, patrick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Quote:
To me (and perhaps to me only), the more I look at this image, the more I personally feel it shows a quality of the fairyland of the rain forest

I must be getting senile, I either didn't notice or forgot that you said this, but it was my thought exactly

Yes, I thought that the quality of the forest was prevalent, in that the light under the canopy was indeed very dim.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
thats the shot for a book ... Smile nice

tf

What a nice statement, tf! I appreciate you looking in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... it is so... refreshing . Great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top shot, for sure!.
Congrats, Larry. These greens are superb. I love the way you explain the shot, I feel like if I went there.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic is absolutely classic.

Jules