Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The rare Vivitar 250mm f/4.5 Pre-Set Lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: I had a vivitar 250mm f4.5 for a while Reply with quote

but I cant recall what it looked like!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
I've posted a set of photos of my M42 mount version of the lens, including close-up shots of the mount next to another M42 lens and a T mount lens for comparison. To answer a previous question, the 250mm preset I've got does not have any type of screw-on adapter mounted on it. In fact, as purchased, it had a Vemar M42 mount auto 2x converter attached. I hope to find time to shoot some test photos with this lens in the next week or two and will post a link once those are up. Meanwhile, here are the photos of the lens itself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steevithak/sets/72157631607150595/

-Steve

Yes but I do see the three set screws that hold the mount on. As I've said before mine was an early version of the T-mount that did not screw on but rather was held in place by three set screws. And as you can see in the photos they were used at one time to remove the adapter. Buggered up a little... LOL The T-mount to M42 adapters that have threads, most if not all, also have the three set screws and if you loosen those set screws and remove the threaded portion of the adapter you then have an early version of the T-mount adapter that would fit the one that I had. Not saying they didn't make some in straight M42 mount. The Early version T-mount adapter that was on my Viv 250mm also had the same knurling pattern as the focus ring. An almost exact pattern.

Just have to remember all T-mounts were not threaded adapters. And for me I have to remember in those days they sold lenses to fit all the cameras they could. Some with fixed mounts and some with adapters.

Photos ....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever made it, it's a damn sexy looking lens. How does it perform?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nisseliten wrote:
Whoever made it, it's a damn sexy looking lens. How does it perform?

Quite well in fact. And for a 250mm preset lens of this vintage it is not that heavy either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevithak wrote:
I've posted a set of photos of my M42 mount version of the lens, including close-up shots of the mount next to another M42 lens and a T mount lens for comparison.

Your lens looks exactly like mine, except mine is T mount and has an extra adapter on it, like Big Dawg's. My adapter, however, doesn't have the same knuckled style as the lens rings - it just has straight indentations.

Now, there is almost a 10mm difference between M42 mount (45.46mm) and T mount (55mm), but I don't see any such difference accounted for in your pictures, so it seems strange that yours is an M42 mount lens. That extra 1 cm is taken by adapters on my lens and Big Dawg's.

My lens is ~17.4cm from front to rear (not counting my adapter or the threads of the original mount). Distance from silver distance ring to base of original mount is ~4.2cm. Do you have the same measurements? I doubt the interior design was changed to account for the mount difference, so in theory your lens should be ~1cm longer if it was meant to be an M42 mount.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get around to using this lens a bit on my E-M5 and here are a few shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8726930163

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8726930135

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurentiucristofor/8726930121

It has a bit of glow wide open but captures good detail. It doesn't improve a lot on stopping down. Chromatic aberrations don't seem to be a problem - a very pleasant surprise. A nice lens to use, especially on flowers. Less sharp than an adaptall-2 lens, but with less CA too.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good result, I still think that's a gorgeous looking lens as well. Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new poster here, but I read this thread a couple of years ago, with great interest.

By chance, I acquired the Norita version of the lens recently.

Mine has the aforementioned 3 screw adapter attached.

Unfortunately the preset f stop is stuck, but it's in the shop for a fix.

Nice looking lens that I hope to use more or less permanently aimed at a bird feeder at our country cabin.

Thanks to all the previous posters who brought the lens to my attention.

Texsport

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome. I sold mine several years ago and am looking for another right now. I'll post if I find one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Norita 250/4.5 preset.

In addition to my original Norita 250/4.5 preset, I've since acquired 3 Vivitar badged examples which are identical, except for the name.

One was lost in the mail. One is for parts. The third was given to my grandson for back yard birding.

Both working lenses have had the same defect, frozen f-stop preset mechanisms, corrected by the same simple repair.

Quite fun lenses, used on our OMDs frequently.

Texsport