Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

the perils of folders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: the perils of folders Reply with quote

The perils of folder photography - in this case the Zeiss Ikon Ikomat 520 with a 7cm f3.5 Tessar - from ~1933... the concept was simple: it was a dark day and getting darker, I had Tmax 400 in the camera, and thus estimated a shallow-dof shot for the cannon. Despite careful framing I cut out the bottom of the plaque. On the positive side, it's pretty well legible, the plaque is... I'm also not happy with my creative choice of lining up the pillar in the back with the mouth of the gun.

The captured gun, WW1, Sunbury PA by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell people you meant to frame the shot that way. Great folder camera to work with

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes practice to learn the quirks of a "new" camera -- especially an old one like that old Ikomat. But the upside is it definitely looks like it takes sharp photos.

Me, I really do prefer folders with coupled rangefinders. I'm really lusting for a little Pearl like what Attila has been showing off recently, but I suspect it'll be quite a while before I'll run across one that I'll be able to afford. And the Fuji GS645 folders are usually way the hell up there in price too. I've owned a couple of Super Ikontas over the years -- one B and one BX -- and they were both sweet cameras. One of these days I'm gonna get one of each of the Super Ikontas: an A, B, and a C . . . hell, maybe even a III and a IV -- and not be stupid enough to sell them.