Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Incredible story of Vivian Maier
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find. Congratulations.
I find some similarity with the story of Kafka, with their differences. Obviously.
Greath photos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching story and great photographs. A genre I always loved but never been able to approach in successful way. Thanks Andy for sharing and blende8 for resurrecting the old thread.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
the images are amazing, she really had the eye and the chutspa...

Even if I had the eye, which I don't, I'm most certainly missing the chutzpah. What a great word! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Even if I had the eye, which I don't, I'm most certainly missing the chutzpah. What a great word! Smile

Back then, of course, the photographer wasn't seen as weird or threatening (unless they were actually weird or threatening individuals, of course) and people generally didn't mind having their pictures taken in the street. Indeed, it was an unusual occurence and many people still regarded it as something a little bit special, possibly even being slightly flattered that someone regarded them as worth photographing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Back then, of course, the photographer wasn't seen as weird or threatening (unless they were actually weird or threatening individuals, of course) and people generally didn't mind having their pictures taken in the street. Indeed, it was an unusual occurence and many people still regarded it as something a little bit special, possibly even being slightly flattered that someone regarded them as worth photographing.

That's very true. But I wonder whether the reaction would be more like that today if we were using a TLR like Vivian, instead of an SLR. I've only tried it once, in Holland, and I kept being stopped by people wanting to know about the camera, not angry at being snapped. Think I might give it another go! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at her self portraits. Who could get mad at such a nice lady?

Farside siad: "Back then, of course, the photographer wasn't seen as weird or threatening (unless they were actually weird or threatening individuals, of course)"

You mean like this guy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I missed this one, but I'm a big fan of her work! The 26 y/o that
bought all the negatives/film has the rights to it, what a gold mine!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Well, I missed this one, but I'm a big fan of her work! The 26 y/o that
bought all the negatives/film has the rights to it, what a gold mine!

He's doing a book, a film (which already has $36,733 in Kickstarter funding- with 22 more days to go!) and the first exhibit is starting in Chicago today.

As long as no heirs show up, it's a goldmine!

Great work though. She seemingly did it for herself and perhaps never even sought out exhibits or publication.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely buy a book of her work, hopefully will be done with high
qualilty paper and binding. I think heirs are a remote possibility, but
who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an exhibition of her work in Germany:

"Eine Auswahl von mehr als 80 Bildern zeigt die Galerie Hilaneh von Kories in Hamburg-Altona vom 27. Januar bis 28. April 2011."

Galerie Hilaneh von Kories
Stresemannstr. 384a (im Hof)
22761 Hamburg
Öffnungszeiten: Di bis Fr 14.00 bis 19.00 und nach Vereinbarung
Tel.: 040/423 20 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some images taken of her cameras at the exhibition in Chicago:

Does anybody know what lens is on the Leica?

PS: I have set up a little mailing list here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/vivianmaier/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Does anybody know what lens is on the Leica?

To answer my own question:
It is a Leitz f=9cm 1:4.0 ELMAR lens:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

I think a waist-level finder helps a lot. And if you want to try street photography today you need something that either blends in, like a mobile phone, or looks like a mad obsession, like a folding camera. A DSLR looks too serious.

I do this all the time, to the horror of whoever I'm with, with the sony Nex-5--which can used from the waist as the LCD is sharp and flips up.

This is about three feet away, as I pretended to show my friend some shots, with a sony SAM 35mm f/1.8, MF and the in-camera B&W. Image is croped to about 2/3 size, otherwise no PP. Nothing great obviously--but they never had a clue.

I get a kick out of the she-leopard intensity in her eye.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
I do this all the time, to the horror of whoever I'm with, with the sony Nex-5--which can used from the waist as the LCD is sharp and flips up.

I think that's a great method to do unnoticed photos.
Unfortunately I don't have a camera with flip screen.
Do I really have to buy a Sony?
It also changes the perspective nicely, because the camera is lower.

Cool shot!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book will be out this fall:
http://www.powerhousebooks.com/site/?p=7095