Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Great Outdoors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: The Great Outdoors Reply with quote

Aram discovering the garden of his grandfather.

Camera: NEX-5 (ISO200, f/1.5, 1/4000s)
Lens: Zeiss-Opton Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 T (Contax)

I like this kind of retro-look, not sure if you agree with me.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful photos ! The whole world is new !

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally not fond of the look - the shots are intrinsically great though (how could a kid shot fail?) To my weak old eyes these look as though they have excessive adjustment to the contrast.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Composition and timing are just great, but there's something in rendering (maybe PP, maybe OOF areas rendering) that make those a bit "harsh" in a way that doesn't fit very well with the atmosphere of the scene. Probably is a matter of personal taste, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Personally not fond of the look - the shots are intrinsically great though (how could a kid shot fail?)

+1
Retro look and very young child do not match well unless the child is wearing retro clothes - which is not.
Also I think it's a mistake also on the communication, the photo should show wonderful "new" colours (because for a child this young everything is new),
in other words show the world as if it was seen through "new eyes"
But I doubt that new eyes would see world as a greenish soup - on the contrary I would expect bold, adventurous colours.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Personally not fond of the look - the shots are intrinsically great though (how could a kid shot fail?) To my weak old eyes these look as though they have excessive adjustment to the contrast.

patrickh

Yes, I'm thinking something along these lines also - if vintage/aged print film is what you are after, the contrast needs to be a bit lower.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the shots but the colour is strange as if the red channel has been taken down to near zero.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a magenta cast.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I'll give it a rest and put myself at the drawing table again in a few days Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
patrickh wrote:
Personally not fond of the look - the shots are intrinsically great though (how could a kid shot fail?)

+1
Retro look and very young child do not match well unless the child is wearing retro clothes - which is not.
Also I think it's a mistake also on the communication, the photo should show wonderful "new" colours (because for a child this young everything is new),
in other words show the world as if it was seen through "new eyes"
But I doubt that new eyes would see world as a greenish soup - on the contrary I would expect bold, adventurous colours.

I agree with Orio here. Post processing and the subject don't match. Compositions are fine though.