Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The first speed booster from medium format to FF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: The first speed booster from medium format to FF Reply with quote

Kipon made it, finally:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/
http://stkb.co.jp/info/?p=2679

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not that much to use on it I guess...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several lenses for my Salyut that I could adapt with this but is it worth carrying around a Mir 26 that weighs one and a half pounds when any 28mm lens would probably do the same job and be better?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several medium format lenses are perform pretty awesome on medium format camera systems, I guess this is reason why they try to catch people with this accessory and several people always speed addicted they will be always favor faster lenses. Sometimes silly sometimes not really, like in nature photography every stop is counted.
An 500mm f5.6 lens if going down to 500mm f4.5 sound is not too bad isn't it ? or 400mm f4.5 to 400mm f2.8 hoooo amazing etc. Kipon is quiet well know maker from quality accessories I wish to have this accessory for reasonable amount of money. Certainly not for Flektogon 50mm f4 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case this converter would accept fast lenses with ~80mm image circle and convert it to 43mm image circle.it would be awesome.
But it does not look like it would to this, quite a small lens diameter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Several medium format lenses are perform pretty awesome on medium format camera systems, I guess this is reason why they try to catch people with this accessory and several people always speed addicted they will be always favor faster lenses. Sometimes silly sometimes not really, like in nature photography every stop is counted.
An 500mm f5.6 lens if going down to 500mm f4.5 sound is not too bad isn't it ? or 400mm f4.5 to 400mm f2.8 hoooo amazing etc. Kipon is quiet well know maker from quality accessories I wish to have this accessory for reasonable amount of money. Certainly not for Flektogon 50mm f4 Smile

The focal length also changes Attila, not just the f-stop Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Attila wrote:

That's right. So the 500/5.6 will actually change to 350/4.5 which isn't that sophisticated any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Attila wrote:

Laugh 1 so really useless Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Attila wrote:

That's right. So the 500/5.6 will actually change to 350/4.5 which isn't that sophisticated any more.

Helps to keep in training an 500mm Pentacon f5.6 instead of Nikkor 300mm f4.5

Laugh 1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Laugh 1 so really useless Like 1

Perhaps not totally if you already have the medium format lenses, though I suspect the size of the lenses would still restrict it's usefulness considerably.

The FF to crop versions are certainly quite handy, but the available FF lenses tend to be faster to begin with, & are in more plentiful supply...

If I didn't already have a selection of FF lenses buying both a reducer & 50mm /1.8 might have been a tempting alternative to a fast normal lens, adding legacy FF telephoto & wide angle lenses make it better still.
I can't see medium format lenses being either cheap enough or fast enough to make them worth buying to use with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people think there is some magic in medium or large format. The images are sometimes very special.
So they possible try to use such a speed booster.

I do not see such magic. I see very low equivalent f-stops when you use special lenses and large format, or very fast lenses on medium format, like a 80mm/2 on 6x6 which would result in equivalent ~f/1.0. So with medium format some combinations have a small DOF compared with most 43mm image circle "fullframe" lenses.
But with a 0.7x focal reducer this is lost. And I think it is designed for f/2.8 ans slower lenses, so no real win.

But even with all these problems, I think it is not useless.