Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Big Sankyo Kohki/Komura Thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
> Another issue I could not come up with is the existence of rebranded Komura-made optics.
(Cut from a post above)

I picked up a "Bitco Super Vemar" 135mm F3.5 in Leica mount, 46mm filter ring. It is identical to the 135/3.5 Super-Acall, so add another Komura Rebrand to the list. "Bitco"... this must be their brand designed for Digital Cameras.

The kind of Komura lenses sold under Kyoei/Acall brand (and some other vendor brands as Bitco) seem to be more common in the latter versions than in the former.
The partly "silver" barrel (likely nickel plated brass) is not very common in Komura brand, at least from the (many) pictures I have seen.
Komura's LTM lenses are more common in all-black.
Considering the many iterations of barrel versions seen in other brands (like Enna and Isco for example), it's likely that the mostly plated barrel style predated the all-black one (which was followed in some brands by zebra versions).
It's not a rule though. Enna latest barrel style returned to (crinkled) all-black.
Would be interesting to have more catalogs spread over a longer period of time...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the 105mm F3.5 Komura apart: construction is the same as the chrome/black 135mm F3.5. The focus ring is on two parts, unscrewing them allows the outer helical to be unscrewed and accessed. Following lessons learned, I did not separate them. The old black grease was extermely thick, I used acetone to clean the helicals. Relubed with white lithium grease, very smooth now.

The focus is off, 4.5m RF reading when actual focus using a TTL viewer is 5m. The focus mount is the problem- it is too long and would have to be ground down to bring the optics in close-enough to the image plane to agree with the RF. I've done that on a 9cm F4 Elmar. I could also move the rear element in closer to the image plane using a secondary/homemade shim. OR- I will try adding a stand-off between the lens and an M-Mount adapter. This works as the RF calibration will change much faster than the actual focus. The RF calibration is a bit off- the actual target is much closer to what the TTL viewer indicates. All taps align with set screws, so the lens was not taken apart and re-assembled incorrectly. This came from the factory "a bit off".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that some good komura lens have been made around 60's , but it is amazing the quality of the mechanics,grease used in so many lenses ,like Septon DKL, Rokkor 55 1.7 ,komura etc. The few lenses i've got with stiff focus like Rokkor MD, helios ,do have better coatings but the smooth focus disapeared,so it is clear that there have been improvements between the 55-1975 in coatings (probably glass to), but weren't all positive though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this Telesar 1:2.8 35mm in Exakta mount.
Could be a T-mount, which would probably rule out any affinity with Komura lenses, but there is something Komura-esque in the way it looks:-)
The "K" at the END of the serial number caught my attention.
What do you think?
Any of you owns anything similar?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Found this Telesar 1:2.8 35mm in Exakta mount.
Could be a T-mount, which would probably rule out any affinity with Komura lenses, but there is something Komura-esque in the way it looks:-)
The "K" at the END of the serial number caught my attention.
What do you think?
Any of you owns anything similar?

My komura 35mm 2.5 looks pretty much the same, it has maybe 10 blades? And of course double diafragm ring

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SANKYO KOHKI JAPAN W-KOMURA f=35mm 1:2.5 it's got a longer focus barrel and different coloured numbers un barrel ,besides ,the3 same lens. Diameter 55mm. Mine is nikon mount,even though the mount can be changed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Komura rebrand:

Bittco Super Vemar 1:3.5 135mm LTM

Interestingly, more or less at the same time, another Bittco Super Vemar is clearly Sankor/Nissin made:

Bittco Super Vemar 1:3.5 135mm M42

P.S.
The last three lenses are no mine. I found the pictures online. Copyright belongs to the original poster.
I decided to post the photos because there are not many Komura rebrands. I find the matter interesting.

To add more uncertainty to the issue of Komura rebranding, I found this page (that deals with Nicca/Yashica rangefinder cameras):
http://www.yashicatlr.com/YE&YF.html
According to the author of the page, Kyoei was probably formed by former Komura employees. He also points to some minimal differences between Kyoei Acall and the almost identical variant sold as Komura. If Kyoei Optical really manufactured Acall lenses, they either copied Komura models or had some kind of cooperation agreement. IMHO the distance scale differences, with substantially identical barrel construction, are just minor details, that don't confirm the theory of the writer. If Acall and Bittco lenses were not rebrands, they were practically knock-off's (made under some kind of agreement/contract). Of course mine is just an hypothesis based on plain old common sense...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .
The other thing is the possible affinity between the UNI mount and the 47mm interchangeable screwmount used by Tokina. Both have the same diameter, but I have no idea if the register is the same. I have no lenses with Tokina M47 mount... so I'm asking for your help Smile

Based on two lenses I measured, the mounts are different.

My Komura 135 f/2.8's Uni. mount is approximately 48mm wide with a .75mm thread pitch.
And my (Tokina made) Vemar 135 f/2.8's mount is 47mm wide with a .8mm thread pitch.

My measuring tools aren't the best, but I believe they're essentially accurate. And just to be sure, I tried to fit the Vemar's 47mm adapter onto the Komura mount, but the Vemar adapter was too narrow. And, yes, the Uni. adapter was too wide for the Vemar/Tokina mount. Smile

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .
The other thing is the possible affinity between the UNI mount and the 47mm interchangeable screwmount used by Tokina. Both have the same diameter, but I have no idea if the register is the same. I have no lenses with Tokina M47 mount... so I'm asking for your help Smile

Based on two lenses I measured, the mounts are different.

My Komura 135 f/2.8's Uni. mount is approximately 48mm wide with a .75mm thread pitch.
And my (Tokina made) Vemar 135 f/2.8's mount is 47mm wide with a .8mm thread pitch.

My measuring tools aren't the best, but I believe they're essentially accurate. And just to be sure, I tried to fit the Vemar's 47mm adapter onto the Komura mount, but the Vemar adapter was too narrow. And, yes, the Uni. adapter was too wide for the Vemar/Tokina mount.

Very useful post.
Thanks.

It happens that I decided to put my posts on pause because of this issue.
Even non-UNI Komura lenses (those called fixed mount) seem to have a kind of removable ring.
For my own benefit, and to give correct information to other forum members, I decided to investigate if it's actually possible to exchange mounts.
Having found lenses from other makers that have interchangeable mounts that don't conform to the T-mount specs, I decided to order a cheap chinese instrument to measure the thread pitch. It's the metric one, so it won't work with british lenses. Maybe I have one Withworth pitch meter in Italy, I'll check in due time Smile
By the way, I have a few preset lenses (not Komura) in the "right" mount (M42) that seem to have an adapter that does not look T-mount.
I didn't have screwdrivers under 1mm for some very small set screws. Now I got a set of watchmaker's screwdrivers, so I can check.
I am looking forward to share thread pitch and register of the few lenses I have with me.

Two more thing that are Komura specific:
I have seen UNI mounts with no set screws, that can be grabbed and unscrewed.
In picture I have seen what looks to be a UNI mount that has at least one radial set screw.
I also own myself a Komura 3.5/200mm in M42 mount that has a UNI mount with set screws on the flat part of the mount, facing the camera. No matter how much I force, the UNI mount doesn't come off, so I guess those screws need to be un-tightened to remove the mount.
I have also seen a nice Komura 2/105mm in Contax rangefinder mount. The mount itself is held by three set screws, so it might be removable. I am afraid the rangefinder coupling would get in the way, trying to adapt it to SLR cameras, but I'm still curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of Kyoei Acall made by Komura = YES, Kyoei Acall made by Komura = NO,
I just won another Acall 3.5/135mm.
The other I have is a Super Acall in LTM mount, with original accessory finder.
The seller advertised the lens below as Leica mount, but I have serious doubts.
1) It has a preset ring
2) I don't see the rangefinder coupling
MAYBE it's M42. What do you think?
The bent filter ring that sits on top of the lens is not uncommon. I have seen it on other Acall lenses.
My best guess is that it could be a Series to regular filter adapter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not Leica mount- the rear element is too close to the mount. Probably M42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

Very useful post.
Thanks.

You're welcome.

cyberjunkie wrote:
It happens that I decided to put my posts on pause because of this issue. . .
. . .I decided to order a cheap chinese instrument to measure the thread pitch.

I just recently bought my own thread pitch gauge. And I've found I need a magnifying glass to get close enough to see clearly because the differences in pitch can be so subtle.

cyberjunkie wrote:
I am looking forward to share thread pitch and register of the few lenses I have with me. . .

Yes, I'd be interested to hear what you discover.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mentioned so far in this thread:
Sankyo Koki Komura 105mm f2.8
Shorter than the 105mm f2.5
T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
>Not mentioned so far in this thread:
>Sankyo Koki Komura 105mm f2.8
>Shorter than the 105mm f2.5
>T

Hi there!
Some time has passed since this thread has last received any post...
Any new interesting contribution to the topic? I have been collecting info on the Komura 105mm f2.8 to write a little 'homework' about it. And I have been collecting and sorting out serials and characteristics of each one of them I stumbled upon on the net and around (I own three of them). The 105mm for SRL cameras is a short lived model which survives in not many copies. Can I ask the serial of the model posted above?

Cheers.

Michele

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liveactionhero wrote:
Quote:
>Not mentioned so far in this thread:
>Sankyo Koki Komura 105mm f2.8
>Shorter than the 105mm f2.5
>T

Hi there!
Some time has passed since this thread has last received any post...
Any new interesting contribution to the topic? I have been collecting info on the Komura 105mm f2.8 to write a little 'homework' about it. And I have been collecting and sorting out serials and characteristics of each one of them I stumbled upon on the net and around (I own three of them). The 105mm for SRL cameras is a short lived model which survives in not many copies. Can I ask the serial of the model posted above?

Cheers.

Michele

Hi Michele,
yes the serial number is 3432093

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sankyo Kohki Komura 105mm f2.5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a pdf with all of the earlier Komura's and what systems they will fit
https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01662/01662.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting link!

It looks as if Komura sure wanted to compete, and win...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't survive though. Tokina, Tamron and Sigma did but they made good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Excellent info. It's missing the 80 and the 100mm f1,8 though. They must have come later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a 36mm f1,8
https://m.facebook.com/j2camera/photos/%E5%B9%BB%E3%81%AE%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99%E3%81%8B%E3%81%AD%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%82%ABl%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC36mm-f18%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99/1581251921914286/
The viewfinder seems to indicate a use with RF cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
There seems to be a 36mm f1,8
https://m.facebook.com/j2camera/photos/%E5%B9%BB%E3%81%AE%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BA%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99%E3%81%8B%E3%81%AD%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%82%ABl%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC36mm-f18%E3%81%A7%E3%81%99/1581251921914286/
The viewfinder seems to indicate a use with RF cameras.

I almost won a 36mm many years ago. Sadly, I never see another copy of affordable price afterward. Twisted Evil

BTW, there is one on ebay now.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Excellent info. It's missing the 80 and the 100mm f1,8 though. They must have come later.

I belive both of them are made in the 1950s. Some of them have 6-digit serial number. The Konica FP on the pdf is announced in 1963 which indicate the PDF is from the mid 1960s.

This is an ads in Feb 1960 Modern Photography.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20224/big_1380_1960_1.jpg

Clearly no one was worried about thorium used in lenses in 1960. So much so it was a selling point! Not http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20224/big_1380_1960_1.jpg a secret. Smile

Komura is not included on most lists of radioactive lenses. This - despite the large number of high speed lenses they produced. IMO, Komura is not likely the only omission.

Anyway, I prefer my thorium in Asahi and Canon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80 and 100 had probably already been discontinued when the dealer flyer was made. The newer super-komuras aren't on there either.