Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The best zoom lens at least 28mm wide end, 70mm long end
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: The best zoom lens at least 28mm wide end, 70mm long end Reply with quote

I need a really top quality zoom lens, has to be at least 28mm on the wide end, 35mm is not wide enough. To use on NEX. I already have a very good Konica 3.5/35-70 but I want something wider and better. I have a Konica 28-135 which is very good indeed but huge and heavy.

Obvious choice would be the Contax T* Vario-Sonnar 28-70/3.5-4.5 and Vario-Sonnar 28-85/3.3-4, but I'm interested to hear what other options there are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the Contax 28-70mm...it's a Sigma design Shocked

One you could try is the Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8...obviously it doesn't reach 70mm though Sad The Tamron SP 28-80mm is very good too, but needs to be stopped down a notch or two to become really sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham, anything Sigma probably isn't going to fulfil my needs.

I have considered the Tamron SP 28-80 and the Tokina AT-X 28-85 but I expect they are the same level as the Konica 28-135 I already have (designed by Konica, built by Tokina, also sold as a Tokina AT-X lens) and I'd really like to have better than I already have or not really worth it.

I remember you showed samples from a T* zoom that I was very impressed with, what was it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the obvious choice is the Sony kit lens, the 18-55 ? It's a damn good lens, autofocus I know, but it constantly surprises me.

I have got an old Tamron 24/70 3.4/5.6 AF in Canon EOS mount that I've had decent results from in the past on my film EOS600. I'll be up there in a September If you want to try it, or I can send it up ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the 18-55, not tried it.

I'm selling my EOS, the IQ isn't good enough, I'm disappointed with the dynamic range and lack of fine detail, it's too noisy above base ISO too and the Canon lenses I've tried with it are rather mediocre, disappointingly, the 1.8/50 only becomes acceptably sharp at f4 and only becomes really sharp at f5.6, which is much below the performance of many other 50s I have.

Kind offer though, cheers Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to go for then Ian, i would recomend the Sony A65 that can be had new for a little over £600 an incredible camera and one you experience evf you will love it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait and keep using my NEX and NX100 in the meantime.

No point in me buying a SLR or SLT as I can't use my Hexanons and that is a deal-breaker for me.

I do like the look of the A65 though, the main thing that puts me off is the inability to adapt most of my lens collection to it. Sad

I like the look of the new Samsung NX20, same 20mp sensor as the NX200 but has the NX10 style body with EVF and an articulated screen, also, the Samsung lenses are fantastic and cheap.

Or maybe I'll go for a secondhand NEX-7, not sure.

I'm keen to see what new NEX models Sony is going to come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said to my wife today that if my Pentax K10 is dead, it's been for repair since April 2nd, then I'm seriously wondering about getting another DSLR. I think it will be a NEX7 that replaces it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the NEX-7 does look very attractive, SLT-A65 has the same sensor, if only I could mount Hexanons on it I'd go for the A65.

I'm keen to see the Samsung NX20 in the flash as well, on paper it looks like a great camera.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you said "top-quality", Ian, one of the best choices is Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8 via the LEA2 adapter. Great colours, contrast, sharpness and pop on the NEX. You may be able to grab one for under GBP800. For a much smaller and lighter zoon, Sony Zeiss 16-80mm isn't bad at all.

I am not sure what is around that is top quality, in that focal range and MF apart from the Contax which should be interesting at least.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm only really interested in the top end, being as I already have so many very good lenses.

Price is a concern, not sure how much I will have to spend, I'm selling my EOS 450D, EF 1.8/50 and Cullman E-TTL flash and a few other things to finance it.

There is the Contax-N 24-85, it's much cheaper than the Contax MF lenses, I wonder if it can be used on the NEX? I doubt there's an adapter but I'm sure I could have it converted to a suitable mount that I can get a NEX adapter for, of course I'll loose the AF, but wouldn't the aperture and focus still work manually?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Contax N lens looks to be pretty good - http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/261-zeiss-vario-sonnar-t-24-85mm-f35-45-n-contax-n-to-canon-ef-review--test-report and there is an adapter too http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Contax-N1-Lens-to-Sony-E-mount-NEX-Adapter-Build-in-Aperture-NEX-5-7-5N-3-/350584842623?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item51a07c297f.

The lens itself is around $400 by the looks of it:

If you get it it will be interesting how well it does on the NEX.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Contax-Vario-Sonnar-T-24-85mm-f-3-5-4-5-N-Exc-/400312956908?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5d3482f7ec

which altogether sets you back around $600.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard zoom is the Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4, but that's on full frame where the focal lengths make more sense. I carry a 28/2.8 as well in case I need to go wider.

As for dynamic range, the NX200 doesn't look too impressive, losing to m4/3rds cameras Shocked

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungnx200/11

Contax-N lenses need a lot of work to adapt as everything is controlled electronically. Some people have paid a fortune to have them converted to EF mount (with autofocus), but that does seem a bit mad unless they are truly brilliant (which they may well be!).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why the Kipon adapter has an aperture in it, as the N lens has an aperture ring, I would think that the ring controls the aperture directly, I'll have to do some research.

I'm very dubious of reviews of cameras, they all praised the Fuji X100 very highly but the samples posted here look like a compact camera, so I'd want to see for myself how a camera performed before I bought it. The reviews of the NX100 weren't that accurate either, they didn't praise it that highly but in actual use, it's slightly better than the NEX-3 in many situations. The big advantage of the NX cameras is the lenses, the 2/30 is amazing for a 90ukp lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, reviews very often are full of s#$@, especially of lenses and especially by the guy whose initials do spell the first two letters of s#$@. Very Happy

But no more of that!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiron 28-85mm f2.8/3.8 is pretty good. Since posting this first test I'm embarrassed to say I've not actually used it again though, but i certainly found it very useable wide open. It is quite large and heavy though - maybe not better than your Konica.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Avoid the Contax 28-70mm...it's a Sigma design Shocked

One you could try is the Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8...obviously it doesn't reach 70mm though Sad The Tamron SP 28-80mm is very good too, but needs to be stopped down a notch or two to become really sharp.

It's not, perhaps this rumor is from the very equal Leica 28-70/3.5-4.5 Lens from a time years before the Contax Zeiss 28-70/3.5-4.5 was being released (back in 1998 as "Kitlens" for the Contax Aria). The Leica 28-70mm was based onto a Sigma 28-70/3.5-4.5 Design, and i do have that Sigma MF Zoom also into my Collection, it's not that bad. The Leica lens shared some parts produced by Sigma back into it's heyday. This Leica is optically not better than the newer Contax Zeiss 28-70 here mentioned, but costs a lot more - and it is indeed a Sigma Lens Design. I prefer the Contax lens, it also does match my Sony A3000, NEX-5 & A7 bodies quite better from the apperance.
These two lenses are quite equal, perhaps Contax (Zeiss) also renewed this Design a bit back into 1998 - the lens does feature like all other Zeiss lenses their famous T* coatings.

That Leica is this lens

And the Contax (Zeiss) this one here

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zeiss 28-85mm is a very good lens indeed with astonishing subtle colour rendition, main weakness is that its heavy and can flare spectacularly at the wide end. As a bonus it can be had for cheaper than the less flexible 35-70, although it can flare spectacularly at the wide end. I also liked the Canon FD 28-85/4 - a long time favourite from film days which I just re-bought And will, hopefully be trying out on my A7r on Monday.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own my 28-85 MMJ copy, but i must admit i have used it only 1-2 times a year, because it's way heavy, very huge & bulky,
and otherwise a push-pull zoom lens design, which i don't like that much...in terms of focussing & zooming with just one ring,
either you like it or you don't - it'sa personal preference....but the IQ is wonderful for this lens, typical Zeiss colors, 3D Pop,
and way good. I've already seen insanely high "buy it now" prices at ebay.de up to 675 EUR - which is really messed up.
As long as i remember, my copy was about 275 euro cheaper than this ebay listing...years ago in almost mint condition.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best zooms available for any price in this zoom range is the Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5, built by Komine, not the S1 28-105, which was made by Cosina and not considered to be as good. I used one in Canon FD for years and shot hundreds of rolls of slides with it. I have one in Nikon mount now, and still treasure it as highly as the C/FD one I had. Following are a few dupes I made of Kodachrome slides, the first taken back in 1985 or so, the second taken in 1984, the third in 1986.

Canon F-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64:

Canon A-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64:

Canon F-1, Vivitar S1 28-90, Kodachrome 64:

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat May 23, 2015 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great Shot Michael, but without the Kodak Chrome it wouldn't look that good, i'd say. Wink I've tested this Vivitar 1 Series 28-90 against my Yashica ML 28-85/3.5-4.5, and....hands down, the Yashi wins....even it's a huge Push-Pull Design, i find it sharper, better color rendition compared to my Vivi 28-90, and that's why i've sold it many years ago.

But besides that, it was a good zoom back into it's heyday...and still is a good MF zoom lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mount was your Yashica ML? I've never found another 28 to anything zoom that was as sharp as my Vivitar S1, but I'm always open to better possibilities. And one of the things I've always loved about the Vivitar S1 was its color rendition. Always well saturated colors. If the Yashica ML is Contax-Yashica mount instead of M42, though, it isn't much use to me. Unless I buy a C/Y mount for my NEX.

Hmm . . . I just recently bought a Tamron SP 28-80mm. I feel a lens test coming on . . .

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michael,

my Yashi ML 28-85 is into C/Y (Contax-Yashica) Mount, as you thought already.

regards
Marc

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Vivitar 28-90 from me, it's such a good lens on the A6000 that I bought a second one incase I wear the first one out ! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/photos/santapolero/sets/72157623011767682/

I'd post my own samples when i'd be onto the next photowalk, i'd say. Smile