Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The best small manual lenses for NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: The best small manual lenses for NEX? Reply with quote

I might be buying NEX soon...only because of the small size. Probably NEX-3 with the 16/2.8.

As an EVIL newbie I have no idea about all possible lenses.

Questions:
If the small size is important, does it make any sense to use SLR lenses? (adapters are big)
What is the best manual lens system for NEX if small size and low price matter most?
Would you buy Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX100 if the price is same?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i would say the nex is an amazing camera it seems to make manual lenses 20% better or more see the domiplan from atilla.
I have lots of glass i use on the nex the 50,s with adaptors are not big imho.
Best lenses
Small and good konica hexanon 40 f1.8 from £10-30
My most favourite on the nex so far fujinon 55 f1.8
Takumar 55 f2
Minolta pg rokkor 50mm f1.4
Helios 44m-4
Jupiter 11a
Focus peaking is brilliant in firmware version 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both I can't say which one I love both. Sony has better ISO performance a lot and video quality also. I love more and more Samsung NX 100 pictures without post processing makes better pictures than SONY.

Samsung NX100 has stunning AF lenses. Sony 16mm small , cheap and on most subject it's performance okay.

Small , superb lens for NEXT , Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 with Leica-M mount works on NEX. 18mm ... not bad if you have extra 700 USD.
Olympus OM 21mm looks 18-55 SONY lens on NEXT.

Inexpensive end , but stunning performer Jupiter-8+ L39 adapter. Small even with adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most inexpensive Sony 16mm AF lens.
http://forum.mflenses.com/sony-16mm-f2-8-large-size-t41169.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Ok i would say the nex is an amazing camera it seems to make manual lenses 20% better or more see the domiplan from atilla.
I have lots of glass i use on the nex the 50,s with adaptors are not big imho.
Best lenses
Small and good konica hexanon 40 f1.8 from £10-30
My most favourite on the nex so far fujinon 55 f1.8
Takumar 55 f2
Minolta pg rokkor 50mm f1.4
Helios 44m-4
Jupiter 11a
Focus peaking is brilliant in firmware version 4

Focus peaking sounds good!

I will probably be using these:
SMC Pentax-M 35mm f/2
SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Jupiter-11 135mm f/4

Planning to get:
Small wideangle (20-24mm)
Small tele (85-105mm)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax G - Carl Zeiss primes

Quote:
What is the best manual lens system for NEX if small size and low price matter most?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cracking 24mm Lens for mine and will be posting the results soon i just need to fix my adaptor as it is to thick and needs to be ground down so that i can acheive infinity, this lens has macro 1:4 and focuses to 0'17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Contax G - Carl Zeiss primes

Quote:

Low price and Carl Zeiss don't often go together Laughing

How about this one:
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/carl-zeiss-jena-sonnar-t-12-f5cm-_-contax-_-ei-hv/183076589

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but this is an exception. They are getting pricey with the time but still are lot more cheap than Leica rf lenses for example, and they are comparable in quality.

Quote:
Low price and Carl Zeiss don't often go together Laughing

This is a Contax bayonet lens (old one) and it is not compatible. For contax rf bayonet only the long lenses can work as they are using the outer bayonet of the contax mount. 50mm and 35mm use the inner bayonet and do not have focusing helicoid. There was an adapter i think but is extremely expensive and will not justify the price you have to pay for the quality of the lens you will get.

Quote:

How about this one:
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/carl-zeiss-jena-sonnar-t-12-f5cm-_-contax-_-ei-hv/183076589

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:

This is a Contax bayonet lens (old one) and it is not compatible.

Thanks!

How about Russian lenses in M39 screw mount? Are there any bargains?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
std wrote:

This is a Contax bayonet lens (old one) and it is not compatible.

Thanks!

Yes, Jupiter-8 can be very sharp or Industar-61 LD seek forum I made samples.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are compatible but not really that good.
Just for fun you can try them .. i mean Jupiter-8 is 10 Eur but don't expect miracles.

The japan made Carl Zeiss *T for Contax G is a way way better.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-8-2-8-50-l39-rf-t37879,highlight,%2Bjupiter+%2B8.html

Look last digital images ..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give my vote for the Olympus F.Zuiko 38/1.8; Though the prices on now are pretty high for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the NEX-5 few weeks ago only for the peaking effect. In the meantime I tried out some of my MF lenses (or better different manufactures)

At the moment I believe that the best is the C/Y Distagon 2.8/28mm. Better (with NEX-5) than Contax G, Hexanon, Olympus or M42 lenses.

Here a crop of a test image. See the fine textures on the leaves.

and here

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-distagon-2-8-28mm-and-nex-5-t41351.html

Ok, not really cheap but one of the more less expensive Zeiss lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Contax are better than any others , this is my observation too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those lenses mentioned above are best with NEX in everyone experience.
I think I should remind that All lenses in NEX can produce good pictures Smile
Meyer Domiplan by Attila is good examples. So the point is, you can use any cheap lens, just make sure it has good optic
Sometimes I'm confused which lens I bring. if small really matter I bring Schneider Curtagon 35/2,8 Retina DKL mount (it's cheap), and it can produce very nice color when I used to record video. I can even put the combo to my pocket easily.
If I need semi tele I bring Leitz elmar 90/4 Leica M mount (L39 version is smaller & cheaper)
for wide & compact the sony 16/2,8 is enough I always bring for back up. Zenitar 16/2,8 is good replacement for this kit. it's wider

I have sonnar 135/2,8 contax, I must agree with Rolf, it's very good combo but 135m is too long and not compact.

I need to add SMC Pentax 50/1,4 for small & cheap reason but good performer. My wife often borrow my NEX with her friends who know nothing about DSLR. But with this combo they easily made good pictures, I'm happy too, thanks to peaking level effect. no more miss focus when I became model
Embarassed