Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

THE BEST FLASH for manual lenses on digital cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: THE BEST FLASH for manual lenses on digital cameras? Reply with quote

I would like to buy some flash light to my Canon 5d. Generally I'm working with manual lenses. (the only canon lens I own is 50/1,4, but even in this case I prefer to use 50/1,5 planar), so the most important thing is to choose flash lamp which has the best and most comfortable cooperation with manual lenses.

Which flash is the best for this proper?
I was thinking Canon speedlight 580EX or METZ 58 AF-1 , and other.

DO YOU KNOW what is the best for us?

best regards, thanks for some opinion.
adam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome atyp1,
I have a 430ex and it work fine with manual lenses
the e-ttl send a preflash and measure trough the lens to find power needed so it can work with any lens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the 430EX. You wont have a problem with that or the 580EX. I found out the hard way that if you want a flash that thinks with the camera, use the Canon flash. I have tried many diff brands and all were the same, you will have to brush up on your manual lighting skills to get best results with them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
I also use the 430EX. You wont have a problem with that or the 580EX. I found out the hard way that if you want a flash that thinks with the camera, use the Canon flash. I have tried many diff brands and all were the same, you will have to brush up on your manual lighting skills to get best results with them.

Right!. but the price difference is enormous...
I got a nice VIVITAR FD550 for 5€. I use it only in manual bounce-back mode and if works more than fine...

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to measure flash shoe voltage, virtually any flash is good for you what is issue safe low voltage. I use successfully on my Olympus-E1 Vivitar 285 HV flash, this is not the cheapest because well know as one of the best work horse, but not expensive at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Don't forget to measure flash shoe voltage, virtually any flash is good for you what is issue safe low voltage. I use successfully on my Olympus-E1 Vivitar 285 HV flash, this is not the cheapest because well know as one of the best work horse, but not expensive at all.

You're right, Attila, I bought the VIVITAR because I did know the voltage was safe (5Volt).

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand price differences completely. If what you have works for you, don't change what you are doing! It's kind of like using MFlenses Very Happy You just have to step back and work a little slower.
I needed the 430EX for weddings that I do. I am not good enough with my Vivitars to keep up with the pace of a wedding. I use them with umbrellas when I do studio type shots. They are the cheapest light studio I know of (that works anyway).