Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The best 28mm lens in M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: The best 28mm lens in M42 Reply with quote

For a silly reason (don't ask) I need a 28mm lens in M42. I have a good one already in the Computar 2.8/28 but I'm wondering what the best ones were?

Immediately the Takumars come to mind, but what else is there in M42? Mamiya-Sekor SX? Yashinon? Fujinon?

I've already had the Meyer/Pentacon 3.5/30 and 2.8/29, not bad but not better than the Computar I already have.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say I think Confused.
How about EBC Fujinon 28 3.5?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar (Kiron) ? Or the Tak you mentioned?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumar, Ebc Fujinon and auto mamiya sekor sx are all excellent.
I sold the first two and kept the mamiya, because of its peculiar character (amazing color rendition, and really pleasant oof), but the others where a bit sharper in the corners (very little on apsc, but probably noticeable on full frame). So, my vote goes For the mamiya.

Another one I really like for its character is the Schneider kreuznach edixa curtagon 4/28.
Far from being better than any of the above, it produces nice detailed images and has a mfd of 18cm if I remember well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried some 28mm...so far curtagon28/4 is best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 29 is OK how about the CZJ 29 / 2.8 ? great center sharpness but less at the edges, I don't think it is bad at the edges - just less sharp than the middle. I've done pano stitching with mine and the fall off is not apparent in the stitch where the edge might butt up to the center of the next image.

My Super Paragon 28 is very average, Chinon 28, better. Vivitar 28 is very nice - many different versions though so it can be a lottery. My best is the SMC Takumar 3.5, a solid dependable performer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Tokina RMC 28mm?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Fujinon 28/3.5. A very good lens for landscapes.
But the MFD of this lens is about 0.4m. If the short MFD is imortant to you, I recommend Sigma Mini Wide II 28/2.8 in m42.
Luis already did a review on the forum http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=19240
I tried this lens in Nikon mount and I was very satisfied.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first I'd try Mamiya-Sekor SX, Yashinon, EBC Fujinon, & S-M-C Takumar.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

izvar wrote:
I like my Fujinon 28/3.5. A very good lens for landscapes.
But the MFD of this lens is about 0.4m. If the short MFD is imortant to you, I recommend Sigma Mini Wide II 28/2.8 in m42.
Luis already did a review on the forum.

The EBC Fujinon 28mm f/3.5 can easily be modified to focus down to 30cm. This modification does not require calibrating infinity focus position and doesn't show outside the lens at all—there's enough extra range in the focusing helicoid for this, just need to make the range limiter a bit smaller.

(Same can be done to EBC Fujinons 24mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2.8.)

I haven't really tested image quality at 30 cm, though, it's possible that Fuji limited the range on purpose to avoid complaints if the optimized focus distance is near infinity.

Last edited by Arkku on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for best M42 28mm, I do like the EBC Fujinon myself, but then I'm known to be a bit biased towards Fujinon lenses… So, let me say that the Komine-made (serial number begins with 28) Vivitar Auto Wide Angle 28mm f/2.8 is also very good; sharp wide open, and surprisingly smooth bokeh for a wide lens, good colours. Physical build is not as good as Takumar or Fujinon, though, feels like a cheap lens (which it is), but performance is excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be 28?

Otherwise there is the excellent Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 ZS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a 25mm Flek, even an old one, but my budget is limited.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I've had the Tokina and Vivitar CF 28s, good lenses but not really better than the Computar I already have.

So looks like a Mamiya-Sekor SX 2.8/28, EBC Fujinon 3.5/28 or SMC Takumar 3.5/28 or Schneider Curtagon 4/28 are my best options.

Any others that can rival these?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'd love a 25mm Flek, even an old one, but my budget is limited.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I've had the Tokina and Vivitar CF 28s, good lenses but not really better than the Computar I already have.

So looks like a Mamiya-Sekor SX 2.8/28, EBC Fujinon 3.5/28 or SMC Takumar 3.5/28 or Schneider Curtagon 4/28 are my best options.

Any others that can rival these?

Actually I think the forgotten Leica-R Elmarit 2.8/28 is a very nice glass, but for people who agree to spend a little bit more,

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I need an M42 lens so the Leica is out. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian it was a focal length I liked on APSC.

I tried Chinon 28mmm 2.8, Vivitar CF, Accura Diamatic 28mm 3.5,Hoya HMC and Auto Mamiya sekor 28mm 2.8. The Mamiya was my favourite all round, it doesn`t focus as close as some of the others ( 45cm chrome nosed version, though the black ones go to 30cm, same optics). It has very good colours and contrast, is reasonably sharp and well built, I would rate the Hoya just after this, unfortunately my vivitar has some fungus which may be affecting IQ and I haven`t managed to get the front ring of to access it my normal means.

The Mamiya is not as good on full frame however, as mentioned corner sharpness isn`t good but there is also a fair amount of distortion, and vignetting at wider apertures, the Hoya actually perfoms better on FF.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have the lens I have seen some VERY good samples with the Meyer Lydith 30mm f3.5. Worth a try?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm is a useful focal length in apsc. My favourite is clubman 28/2.8, because its sharp and contrasty from wide open and I love the slightly warm and surprisingly saturated colours. I have an old yashinon ds-m 28/2.8, which is also very good. Sharpness wise, tokina rmc 28/2.8 and its incarnation mitsuki are better overall, but I strongly dislike the cold colours they produce, especially on pentax k5, not so bad on eos 450d. Maybe the tokina's colours are also a bit less saturated.
I also have a vivitar 28/2.8 no28xxx, non MC, which is very decent from 3.5, but slightly soft/hazy wide open. My worst 28mm is a vivitar close focus 28/2.8, worse IQ than kit lens, but I'm sure it's a lemon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha,
of course You can get a M42 mount Zeisss Distagon in so called "I"-mount for industrial or scientific use.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/industrial_lenses.html
with no doubt we all know, there is no "best" lens at all, but looking for a M42 with highest quality performance, Zeiss is all times worth to turn head to....

On the other hand,. Schneider is no crap too...

....and some of others mentionend here also Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Panagor 1:2.5/28 mm which is similar to the Vivitar version. Regards Cliff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very old thread - over two and a half years.
What lens did you choose Ian?
OH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think new member, vic didn't realize this by not checking the date. He re-opened several such threads. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron 28/2 Wink Like others said, the Sigma Mini Wide II 28/2.8 is way good, and so is the Super Wide II. (24/2.8 ) both can be bought
into various mounts, even M42.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody mentioned the S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5? Come on.

edit: Ok Ian already knew about that one, so look no further.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I found a lens you would never suspect would be so good - a humble Computar 2.8/28 I suspect is made by Kowa.