Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The beauty has arrived ... AUTO YASHINON 55mm 1:1.2 TOMIOKA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: The beauty has arrived ... AUTO YASHINON 55mm 1:1.2 TOMIOKA Reply with quote

See below pictures of the lens, a cat at f1.2 and at 2.0.
My verdict: of all 1.2 lenses I have seen this one is at the very top (and clearly above the Yashinon DS-M 1.2 I have tested recently).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60,
Gorgeous lens, and gorgeous pics of your cat! There are at least 3 of us
now that I know are cat-fanciers, Orio, me, and now, you! Laughing Hopefully
you were not emitting any gamma radiation when you took these. Could
we have a real name to address you?

Thanks for sharing,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this lens is both a beauty and quite a performer.
I always have been somewhat reluctant to look for a f1.2, 'cause I didn't see much difference to my f1.4 and I always thought that you can't really use those lenses wide open anyway. Well, it seems you can!

What did you pay for that cutie?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a great lens and cat is beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bill: you might call me MJ Smile ... I am not sure if I was emitting radiation during the shoot but I am damn sure the lens was ...

@Lucis: Uh ... oh ... it was a "reasonable" amout Wink Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, a f/1.2 image, and not even the slightest sign of vignetting?
That lens must REALLY be a gem!
I never used any f/1.2 lens, but all the f/1.4 lenses that I have (and I have some of the best ones), or have had, do vignette a bit wide open, including the likes of Leica, Zeiss, Nikkor, Takumar.

P.S. love your cat! Melissa likes him too, she would like to ask if he's free for a date Very Happy Laughing
_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the very best at f1.2 is the Noct Nikkor 58/1.2, quite expensive
lens, but there are pros that say it "owns" f1.2, as it is as sharp all the
way out to the corners, wide open, as it is stopped-down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody can realize significant difference between an 1.4 and 1.2 lens ? Any benefits from 1.2 ? I am not talking about feeling if I have an 1.2 I also a proud owner and love much. I am asking the practical side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Anybody can realize significant difference between an 1.4 and 1.2 lens ? Any benefits from 1.2 ? I am not talking about feeling if I have an 1.2 I also a proud owner and love much. I am asking the practical side.

Half stop difference.
Narrower DOF
These are the two practical differences. How much important, it depends on what you do with the lens.
If you are at a Rolling Stones concert with a photographers pass, or at a nighttime outdoor sport event, that half stop may help save your job, as it may make a difference between an acceptable image and a motion blurred one. But this extreme case aside, I can't see a major difference for the normal user.
As for the DOF, half a stop at such extreme aperture can mean a significant difference in the DOF. That will at the same time make it more difficult to focus, and give you more creative power with the bokeh effects.
Once again, if that is worth an extra expense, it totally depends on the single user.
To end my reasoning, I'd like to offer a different perspective. Sometimes it's not that half stop, but the quality of the lens itself. Take the 1.4/85 Planar. It is an excellent lens. Used value is about 400 Euros more or less.
Then take the 1.2/85 Planar, the anniversary lens. It costs about 3000 Euros used. That's more than 7 times the price. One may say "heck, for just half a stop, that ain't worth it". And that would be true, if the lenses were the same in performance. But if you look at the 1.2/85 MTF, you will see it blows the 1.4/85 away. And we're not talking of a bad lens: the 1.4/85 has an excellent performance MTF. But the 1..2/85 it's just, superior.
Of course the opposite case may happen, when the slower lens is better than the faster one.
This is to say that ultimately it's not the half stop that counts, but the overall performance of the lens that needs to be considered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, looking forward to more of your pics with this lens! Smile

Bill