Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Authentic Guide to Russian and SovietCamerasRussian Book
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: The Authentic Guide to Russian and SovietCamerasRussian Book Reply with quote

I finally had the chance to ask for the book I have been pining after since I started this crazy russian camera addiction - "The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras" 2nd ed by Jean Loup Princelle.

So if any questions come up regarding russian stuff, I will be very glad to answer! I will offer my expertise, or more correctly Princelle's expertise, to the fullest that I can. Hopefully this will be of some help to the group as a whole.

~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good book to learn French too, as many captions and subtitles have not been translated in the English edition Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, I've never been able to find much about my Vega 12b 90/2.8 that I use with the Pentax 645. I would LOVE to get a little information, as this is a VERY good lens that is extremely cheap to buy. It's as though people must not like the lens, so it is cheap?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wish I could offer some commentary from Princelle on the matter but the book is rather sparing on that sort of thing.

From my perspective there are a couple things that may make the lens "less desirable." This is far from expert opinion but hopefully they will be somewhat valid points. The 90mm focal length is a tad long for a standard/normal lens. It would be somewhere around 60mm for a 35mm camera - almost like the Russian Helios or German Biotar line (obviously both follow the same formula), which I've heard more than enough people say "what's the deal with the extra 8mm?" Odd focal lengths seem to put some consumers off. The standard 55mm's or 50mm's just seem more appealing for some reason (not to me of course). A somewhat more grounded argument would be about the alternatives. The MC Volna-3 can also be bought for cheap. It boasts better resolution (45/20 vs. 40/16) and I've never really heard of any mc coating on the Vega so I can (probably falsely) assume that it is single coated. Then one of course has the Zeiss gear, which "promises" better everything plus that beautiful expensive name. There are also two mounts available for the original intended cameras - B and V (roman lettering). The B is also known as the P6 mount because of the camera it was used on - the Praktisix and later-on the Pentacon six. Therefore the V mount lenses miss out on all those people buying for their Kiev 6C, Pentacon six, Kiev 88cm...and the many variants. So the lenses that have the V mount have fewer, older cameras, such as the Kiev 88/80 and Salyuts, to be used on - thereby dropping in price. And finally, it’s Russian! There is a definite stigma surrounding all Russian gear. Those who don’t use it pass it off as cheap, unrefined equipment. I think anyone can appreciate and hopefully you have used (as in my previous example) the Helios 44/m-2,3,4,5,6, or 7. To those that have tested them, they are, quality speaking, the same as the Zeiss Biotar but you sure as hell can’t pick that off ebay for 5 bucks. Chances are you have a great lens – if it suits your purposes, more power to you. Doesn’t matter if it’s cheap, in fact it’s a good thing! If it ever breaks replace it for next to nothing.

Sorry if that was long-winded but those are just some initial thoughts. Please anyone feel free to correct me! I'd rather be the laughing stock of the forum and learn something rather than wallow in ignorance.

Hope this was of some worth
~Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this book too, unfortunately in english (I'm french native) Wink

A very nice book for any russian photographic gears lover !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
It's a good book to learn French too, as many captions and subtitles have not been translated in the English edition Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

And the english translation is sometimes a little bit - ehhh, how do I say? - strange. Very Happy

Nevertheless it's the first book after the bible...

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Marc. Thank you MUCH for the perspective. Totally appreciated.

Laurence