Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The amazing Contax Makro-Planar 2.8/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: The amazing Contax Makro-Planar 2.8/100 Reply with quote

I am photographing the pieces of my father's collection of artworks.
I am doing it with the 5D and the Makro-Planar 2.8/100 exclusively.
No studio lighting setup, only the ambient light from the windows.

While reviewing the photos I thought it would be nice to show the kind of result you can get with the Makro-Planar 2.8/100, although we have already talked about this lens.

full image resized:

And now please follow the link to the full image. It will open in a new window. Please make sure that your browser will display the image at 100% enlargement:
http://www.timelessphotography.eu/temp/037_retro_fullimage.jpg

Note that the photo has not been retouched, and that, like I said, no illumination lamps were set up for this scene.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb textures!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the canvas net makes the sensor cause a Moiré effect.
In spite of fact that the canvas was not the focused point.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent lens indeed!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb example Orio. Some of us can only dream of owning a lens like this one and I for one am grateful for the chance to see what it can do

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Superb example Orio. Some of us can only dream of owning a lens like this one and I for one am grateful for the chance to see what it can do
patrickh

I am really appreciating this lens now that I have to make this work. The images have such a vivid presence, that so far I had noticed only from imagges taken with large format cameras. As for price, I paid less for it, than I paid for the Canon Macro 60mm AF that is also an excellent lens but works only on APS-C cameras and is not a 1:1 enlarger like the Contax lens.
So this is another example that manual focus lenses are excellent bargains even compared to cheap AF lenses - and especially for macro work where you don't really want to use AF.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sample from the same session, chosen casually.

full resized

100% crop

Note that I have used f/11 because I wanted to have some room to play with, as I could not lose too much time for refocusing between switching paintings.
In fact it proved a useful choice as in this case for instance focus fell on the nearest part of the frame instead of on the canvas.
Yet the canvas still causes moiré, this speaks volume about the resolvance of this lens.
Anyway if I had chosen f/5.6 I could have had even more resolvance on the focused point!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The amazing Contax Makro-Planar 2.8/100 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am photographing the pieces of my father's collection of artworks.
I am doing it with the 5D and the Makro-Planar 2.8/100 exclusively.
No studio lighting setup, only the ambient light from the windows.

While reviewing the photos I thought it would be nice to show the kind of result you can get with the Makro-Planar 2.8/100, although we have already talked about this lens.

full image resized:

And now please follow the link to the full image. It will open in a new window. Please make sure that your browser will display the image at 100% enlargement:
http://www.timelessphotography.eu/temp/037_retro_fullimage.jpg

Note that the photo has not been retouched, and that, like I said, no illumination lamps were set up for this scene.

Great Shot Orio !! Imagine how it would look if that lens was attached to a Sigma SD14.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here Luis!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Luis

about the contax 100 macro
yesterday a friend photographer that I converted to digital with my 400D was doing some product shot
The macro pentax 50:4 was too short and he got shadow
He ask me a longer macro, I give him the tamron 90
He came back telling me my tamron have problem and that he get flare even with the hood
I had to give my contax 100 macro Evil or Very Mad
in the same position and without hood the shot was perfect
It is the second time my friend needed the contax and could not made the shot otherwise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
welcome Luis
about the contax 100 macro
yesterday a friend photographer that I converted to digital with my 400D was doing some product shot
The macro pentax 50:4 was too short and he got shadow
He ask me a longer macro, I give him the tamron 90
He came back telling me my tamron have problem and that he get flare even with the hood
I had to give my contax 100 macro Evil or Very Mad
in the same position and without hood the shot was perfect
It is the second time my friend needed the contax and could not made the shot otherwise

Yes, the lens is worth every penny and even more. It is such a reliable performer that you can be sure that if there is a defect in the photo, it is the photographer's fault. If I was a professional I would not have any doubt that I would use Contax macro lenses for my work.

Welcome to Luis.