Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The "3D" thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
sunshine, color pop is not exactly the same as 3D pop
3D is difficult to obtain when very stopped down and sun is coming from zenith

Is this thread about 3D in captures or Ziess Micro Contrast philosophy? Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
Is this thread about 3D in captures or Ziess Micro Contrast philosophy?

I know you have a lot of 3D pics, even with non Ziess Wink
like this one Very Happy
sunshine's photo wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here he is Laughing
I'll pull some others up later.
I still think you miss my point but maybe I miss yours Wink
If the image has an effect of dimension and space and feels like you look out a window.
I find this to be a 3D effect.
I understand Micro contrast 3D. But other factors can come in to play to give you a lifelike effect. Color, light, shadow, PP, film or sensor failures etc...
Maybe I'm talking about 3D photos and the subject is about 3D lenses Confused I don't know.

Here's Paco click on image in next window until full size. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch your discussion and I'll try to express - simplify in order to check if I've understood something.

1. The 3d comes easy [if you know the way] using zeiss glass but this is not necessary.

2. The aperture choice must be in the range between max- better bokeh [>=5.6 ] and min - maximum dof [ <= 11]

3. The light must hit the subject area making an angle < 90 degrees with the ground / back lit may be good / front lit with dark back area may be good.

4. A FF sensor may be work better.

Right or WRONG?Embarassed

In my opinion the photo with the kid drinking water gives no 3d effect, It is just an opinion. The "air" boy's back to infinity looks narrow.

Hey, I am proud to be a >100 posts member..... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know... maybe this one shows a little 3D too? (Sorry, the SMC Pentax 1:2/28 is a Zeiss as some of you know Very Happy )

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Don't know... maybe this one shows a little 3D too? (Sorry, the SMC Pentax 1:2/28 is a Zeiss as some of you know Very Happy )
]

Yes, the K one.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nice photo, I can't tell you if it is "3 Dimensional", I am waiting the accurate definition.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice demonstration! Thank to all Smile

I quite like these 2 shots of my last set. Not sure, if it's 3D, or anything else, but to me, both appears to be a bit more realistic, than the others...

I also like this one in full resolution - however it's completely uninteresting shot Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ no-x
your photos indeed show 3D to my eye.
The "problem" so to say, is that it seems to me that different people have different concept of what 3D in a photo is.
For me is the dimensionality of objects and the "air" between them.
For others, it's how the foreground object stands out from a blurred background.

I think your last picture displays this possible misunderstanding.
The subject stands out above blurred background.
But I do not care about the foreground-background effect, I care about how dimensional the subject is.
And I can feel the volume of the right hand holding the gun... and I can feel the space between the base of the gun and the cheeck.
And the space between the open mouth and the shoulder behind.

@ magnet
I don't think that Zeiss lenses are required for "3D".
I have gotten excellent 3D effect from Leica lenses and from Russian lenses as well (especially the Jupiter-37 and the MIR-24)
I think that a lens with high microcontrast is surely very important, no matter what brand.
One thing I have noticed in my experience, is that often Japanese lenses, which have excellent resolution, tend to have less microcontrast
compared to German and Russian lenses. This is not an absolute truth, but I find it to be true in many cases.
I think it's a philosophical difference, and I don't think that German and Russian lenses are necessarily better because of that -
there is people who prefers "quieter" lenses with more resolvance and less contrast. Indeed this type of lens (I would call it "Japanese lens")
is more flexible in the digital darkroom. You can "model" its images easier.
On the contrary, German and Russian lenses are more "commanding", they tend to "drive" the processing instead of "serving" it.
They impose their character and it's harder to get out of it.
It's really two worlds - to every one his own.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to post this other example.
Perspective is frontal, and the lighting, although not diffused, is coming from straight above, so there is no lateral shadow that might help define shapes.
And yet... 3D is there.

Thanks to two factors in this case, I think:
- aperture's DOF (as always)
- and microcontrast.

The focus is set in a way that we have slightly out of focus baskets both before and after the focused one.
This is a trick I often use when I want to communicate depth.

But of course in this particular image, the microcontrast plays a key role, almost of the same importance.
Without that "pop" that differentiates one straw thread from the other, the 3D perception would have been weaker

P.S. camera is 5D, lens is Distagon 1.4/35
photo taken in 2007

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that additional light to pop out the subject and sharpness creates the 3D feeling.

Some double flash used Zuiko 3.5/28 samples, probably at f:11:

Sigma 12-24@f:11 (Leica or zeiss would be even better) plus full power 550EX fill light with contra strong sun-light (it adds the 3D to the clouds and improves the overall 3D feelings):

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
I still think you miss my point but maybe I miss yours

you are right and I realize that if 100 people post 3D shots, we will get 100 different point of view
I find this thread 3 Dimensions in a photograph and the Nikon digital teacher rejected almost all submitted pics
I find there new definitions like bipolar where half of the pic is dimensional and second half is flat
the difficulty to clearly define and perceive such topics help me to better understand why so many people are happy with their p&s pics

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yalçın
I don't know about how others do view, but your photos (especially the first three) look extremely dark on my monitor, of the order to -say- 1,5 stops underexposure.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I find this thread 3 Dimensions in a photograph and the Nikon digital teacher rejected almost all submitted pics

Interesting reading. I noticed that about 90% of the people who posted there have a different concept than mine of what 3D perception in a flat photo is.
For them, 3D is what I call the binoculars effect (sharp foreground object on blurred background).

I even fully disagree with what most people posted about lenses, that the tele lenses would give more 3D.
The following image is one of the very few times when I could obtain an acceptable dimensional perception from a tele lens. By the way the lens was a Jupiter-37 (135mm):

For my experience, it is exactly the opposite, tele lenses can really kill the 3D and make everything look like the binoculars effect if you are not really careful/lucky in using them.
For what is my experience, I get the most 3D from lenses that range from medium wide (24-28mm) to standard (50mm).

On the other hand, also the teacher seems to have a different concept than mine. I for instance do not consider his Maasai photo as 3D looking. For me it is closer to what I call the binoculars effect.
Even if I look at the Masaai man alone, without considering the BG, he looks really flat and lifeless, completely lacking microcontrast to bring life to details. No-x photos of soldiers are a hundred times more 3D than his Maasai.
Same goes for his Tuscany landscape, for me it's binoculars effect not real 3D.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio.

Tele lens destroy the "air" between the 2nd-3d etc.....planes in the photo.

The first teacher's example [the "orange" landscape] is not 3D at all.

A cropping of the 3d - 4th "plane" will give us the impression of just a 2 dimensional color synthesis.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yalçın
I don't know about how others do view, but your photos (especially the first three) look extremely dark on my monitor, of the order to -say- 1,5 stops underexposure.

Yes you are right, I don't know how much but they are underexposed. They were adjusted on my CRT monitor and was ok there, wasn't using histograms before, but they also seem dark on my current notebook's screen. Anyways, my point was using light makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, if this qualifies as 3D, is just another play with the DOF of a micro-lense, or whatsoever.
I took this picture 3 or 4 years ago at the Frankfurt Zoo with the Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 (non VR), which unfortunately was stolen later. MF-focussed, if my memory doesn't completely fail me. The camera was my first digital SLR, the Nikon D70.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Yalçın

Maybe he uses a Macintosh with native gamma 1.8? I use a Mac and when I used native gamma, everything would look fine on my computer but very dark on Windows (with TV gamma of 2.2). Since them, I have grudgingly decided to set my monitor to 2.2 gamma, since most people use the inferior Windows platform Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madamasu wrote:
I don't know, if this qualifies as 3D]

It absolutely does for me.
Excellent picture!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D ????

Maybe this has a little 3D too ...

SMC K 135/2.5
more of this lens:
http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-k135-2-5-green-power-t17065.html

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and one more SMC 135/2.3

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias,
in my opinion, all three pictures have the potential but the iris should have been stopped a bit more in all of them, in order to create more solid space in the perspective. As they are, the focus end abruptly after the main characters, making them stand over a flat background. The characters look 3D, but the space looks 2D.

In a nutshell I would say, if you want to create the illusion of a solid 3D space, you need to give more focus also to the environment not only to the foreground subjects.
As good as the characters are, if they have to look dimensional they have to be inserted in a space that is also dimensional.

I hope I have been able to explain what I mean...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one (squirrel) works for me as is Smile

Btw. Does this random shot count?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent 3D captures Tobias!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really 3 D images for me. And excelents too.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using a fisheye, here a 16mm...3D?