Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Sigma 17-50/2.8 before holidays
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Testing Sigma 17-50/2.8 before holidays Reply with quote

I recently acquired this lens and regret not having done it long ago.

DSC_0329 by Lena_i

DSC_0471 by Lena_i

DSC_0526-5 by Lena_i

DSC_1216 by Lena_i

DSC_1224 by Lena_i

DSC_0297-1 by Lena_i

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That black car Shocked Shocked Shocked Razz Razz Razz it's, delicious!

Nice images Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Lena, but I wonder how do you compare this Sigma 17-50/2.8 with your Tamron 17-50/2.8?
From samples found online I must say, they look pretty equal, also from your photos I remember Tamron to be good performer (one of the reasons why I bought the lens Smile ).

Pozdrawiam
Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth, I was never a fan of Sigma lenses. I sticked with the Tamron (two versions in a row) for a few years, but then the Sigma got much cheaper than when it was introduced. Now the prices are comparable.

There are a few advantaged of the Sigma over Tamron, as well as disadvantages.

From my experience, Sigma wins in terms of:
image quality - yes, it really figures without the need to compare crops. My Tokina 11-16 was always a clearly better performer than the Tamron, now Sigma slightly outperforms the Tokina

OS - very helpful for me, I have a terrible handshake and now I can hold 1/30s easily, while I sticked to 1/125 with the Tamron (non VC)

optical performance at 50mm - Tamron deteriorated towards 50mm, while the Sigma seems to be improving. I did some test shots at 50mm/f.2.8 and I couldn't say a bad word about sharpness. The bokeh is also nice for a modern lens.

My arguments in favour of the Tamron:
I like the images at 17mm a bit better
It is smaller and lighter and uses 67mm instead of 77m filters
The older version (no motor) had a warmer colour rendering

Although I was very happy with the Tamron for a long while, now that I got the Sigma I regret not having done it before (after the price drop).