Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Olympus auto-S F-Zuiko 50mm f1.8 on OM-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Testing Olympus auto-S F-Zuiko 50mm f1.8 on OM-1 Reply with quote

I was given an OM-1 by the same Camera Club member who gave me the OM-10 so i have been testing with some 10/2007 Dated Kodak Colorplus 200 rated at 160 ASA and home-processed in C41. Here are a couple of results --
Lens at FULL APERTURE f1.8 in dull light

Lens at f2.8 in dull light

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors pop brightly!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Nearly bought an OM-1 in Hongkong in 1981. Eventually, plumped for the Pentax MX. I had to buy an entire suite of lenses including a 400mm for bird photography. The Zuiko 400mm 6.3 was more expensive than the Pentax-M 400mm f5.6. There was not enough tenure remaining in HK to stagger the purchase. Otherwise, IMHO, the Olympus system had the edge over Pentax at the time. In the long run — and we know where we are in the long run! — the Pentax system has proven to be more resistant to obsolescence. The Pentax-M lenses work on the Pentax DSLRs with riders.
With hindsight I know that the SMC Pentax lenses (aka Pentax K) were of good quality. At the time I did not. Even had I known about the Pentax K lenses at the time, I would have been hard put to find any. Let alone lenses, HK shops changed hands overnight and their product mix too. So just as well that I stuck with Pentax from inertia.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if lenses of that era were designed to be the best they could be, or the best they could be with film. Looking at the performance wide open, and accepting the image is created from out of date cheap film (congrats on your processing skills Pete) moved to digital (congrats again), it looks better to my eyes than shots I've seen where the wide open image was straight on to an in-camera sensor. I've read that Leica could ignore ultimate sharpness in favour of other qualities, so I wonder if Olympus was prioritising in favour of what looked best on film.

What prompted me to ask the question was the water under the bridge. It's superb to my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

#2 you can't produce digital