Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 88 - Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
On a side note, I have seen quite a number of raves for series1 ver3 by Komine ser# starts 28,I have not owned or used this version but is supposed to be superior to Kiron,certainly weighs less.Anyone able to comment? regards

I have both, and the feeling for both of them is the same, two hell of glass... Crying or Very sad Everytime I take some shot, I feel so tired with 2 kilograms handheld Crying or Very sad.
Btw, mine comes from the States for 10 bucks, the lens got something like bad coating so it cant get high price, actually it is some glue, and I am happy with it. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
On a side note, I have seen quite a number of raves for series1 ver3 by Komine ser# starts 28,I have not owned or used this version but is supposed to be superior to Kiron,certainly weighs less.Anyone able to comment? regards

I have the first three versions.

The Kiron is a good zoom lens considering the era it came from, but the second two versions have a touch more resolution and better contrast.

I enjoy using the second version by Tokina the most,since it is the lightest and handiest to use of the three,especially close ups and for quick moving objects,people or hummingbirds.

The final version is the fastest of the three (f2.8 vs 3.5) and the sharpest with more contrast.

Scroll down to Lens Tests by MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY Magazine > http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Compare to Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/52A.html

Compare to Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5 Model 19AH http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html

Minolta Maxxum 70-210mm F/4 Beercan http://kurtmunger.com/minolta__af_70_210mm_f_4__reviewid25.html

Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 http://www.stephenattaway.com/blog1/?cat=6

L-R Series 1 zooms- (Kiron) 24-48/3.8 - (Kiron) 35-85/2.8 - (Komine) 28-90/2.8 - (Tokina) 70-210/3.5 - (Komine) 70-210/2.8-4.0 -(Kiron) 70-210/3.5

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your photographs much.You showed lens character well with very good photographs.Not always "blurry background" images

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now have the Kiron (1st) and Komine(3rd) version. Komine is not constant aperture, it's 2.8-4.0, so I wouldn't call it the fastest. On the other hand, Tokina (#2) is only 1:4 magnification compared to 1:2.2 and 1:2.5 for Kiron and Komine, which IMHO makes it the least useful of good S1 zooms. As long teles they are good as far as zooms go, but would lose to primes, so it's the versatility that is the main attraction point.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo's Boomer,I have the kiron version in MD mount which I would like to sell CHEEP CHEEP! as I much prefer my Tamron 19ah of which I have 2 as I would not like to be without one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

List it here on buy and sell or other photography forums buy & sell,or ebay or classified adds locally in your area.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Series 1 and having considerable experience with the first three versions of the lens,the Tokina was the easiest and quickest to use....especially for quick action photography it was the quickest and easiest to acquire focus,where a split second is required to achieve focus and take the shot(tested this more then a few times up close with hummingbirds...which to me is the ultimate acid test for super quick action photography....the Kiron and Komine couldn't hold a candle to the Tokina in this type of photography).If max. magnification is required then the Kiron would be the choice...if it were low light it's a tossup between between the Tokina and Komine....for best resolution and contrast the nod goes to the Komine.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes the Tokina the fastest to acquire focus? Is it just weight difference? I've tried shooting football with Komine on NEX-5, it was indeed difficult handheld.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting hummers closeup with manual focus lenses reminded me of my early days boxing when I was young, before I had the knowledge,skills and speed to win against lesser opponents....believe me,getting my ass kicked by a tiny little hummer was a humbling experience....it took some trial and error with different tools,till I started using the right tools for the task at hand.

Not the weight...it was the required zoom and focus,with the Kiron and Komine lagging a split second behind on the zoom(Kiron was slowest on the zoom) and not acquiring focus as easily or quick(the Kiron being the slowest and most difficult to closeup acquire focus on a fast moving object) ...try it sometime closeup with a very fast moving object,you'll see what I mean....shooting football would be relatively easy comparatively ...it was very frustrating with the Kiron and not quite as frustrating with the Komine...I did this more then a few times in order from hardest to easiest,Kiron,Komine and finally Tokina...after using the first two,the Tokina was a breeze....I've never used the Kiron or the Komine since for closeup high speed subjects.

Tried a couple other zooms and also threw my sharpest zoom at the time,the Nikkor 80-200/4.5(final version) in the mix, and it was about the same speed wise as the Komine....though it has sharper resolution,if it can't acquire focus and get the shot,then it wasn't up to the task for this type of manual focus photography....these days,when I feel up to the task of taking on hummers, I use Canon L lenses for such photography........but, if I want to harken back to the old days,using a MF zoom lens for this type of close up split second quick photography,I know exactly which lens I"ll be mounting.

BTW....Shooting at further distances on a fast moving object....the lenses were more equatable.

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the first version in immaculate condition at a thrift last week. Seems a bit heavy to hang off my Oly PEN, but testing in macro mode on a tripod. Wish it had some way to use a collar, but sliding focus/zoom precludes that.

Problem I'm having is that the sliding and turning motions interact, so nailing the focus of even stationary subjects is a bit of a pain. The great sample pictures in this thread are incentive enough to learn better technique with this lens, though. Were the shots taken handheld? Can't imagine they were...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicks wrote:
Were the shots taken handheld? Can't imagine they were...

my shots were all handheld, both with e-520 and e-m5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
chicks wrote:

I bow in humility in your direction. Wink Will you share your technique with this beast?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicks wrote:
WolverineX wrote:
chicks wrote:

I bow in humility in your direction. Wink Will you share your technique with this beast?

i focus with left hand, so all the weight of the lens and the camera is on my left hand, with right hand i just hold the cam and stabilize it. i do focusing with fingers of the left hand while the lens lays in the palm of my left hand. macro focusing, being push-pull motion, i do by getting as close to sharp focus as i can by moving the focusing ring and then moving my body til the shot is in sharp focus.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
i focus with left hand, so all the weight of the lens and the camera is on my left hand, with right hand i just hold the cam and stabilize it. i do focusing with fingers of the left hand while the lens lays in the palm of my left hand.

I do exactly the same. The NEX3 is so tiny when this lens is mounted on.

There will be a big fireworks this evening (kind a 4th of July but for us belgians, it's today).
I will be waiting on the building's roof where I work tonight.

It will be the first time that I'll shoot fireworks and I'll try those settings :

- ISO 200
- F8
- focus to infinity
- 1 or 2 second (maybe more)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the tips! Gave it a go, indoors in low light, ISO 400-800, about 1/30th sec. Will try some better lit shots when I get a chance. Certainly didn't achieve your level, but will keep trying. Now, where do I find a beautiful, well-lit and very patient model like the one in your initial post? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicks wrote:
Now, where do I find a beautiful, well-lit and very patient model like the one in your initial post? Very Happy

well, here in Croatia are women beautiful like that Smile

i shot these pix at the local photo fair in March

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My step father is croatian (from Crikvenica). He arrived here in Belgium when he was 8 (he is now 57). Funny thing is that he had never lost his accent.
I married his daughter 11 years ago and I never been there while he and my step mother go every year.
But in may 2013, that will change Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
My step father is croatian (from Crikvenica). He arrived here in Belgium when he was 8 (he is now 57). Funny thing is that he had never lost his accent.
I married his daughter 11 years ago and I never been there while he and my step mother go every year.
But in may 2013, that will change Wink

be sure to take your camera with you Smile you'll have a lot to shoot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sample of that 21st of july fireworks (all @f8, ISO 200, shutter between 1 and 2 seconds) :

Other stuff shooted from the rooftop with slower shutter speeds (6 to 10 sec) :

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
chicks wrote:
Now, where do I find a beautiful, well-lit and very patient model like the one in your initial post? Very Happy

well, here in Croatia are women beautiful like that Smile

Had to make do with the neighbor's cat. Laughing Stopped down to about 5.6, ISO 200, at 210mm. Not a bad lens for $10. Wish it was lighter...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice fireworks Ghost. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Gary Smile
That was my first but when I look closer, I know what went wrong. Do yo see the light on the left building (#1 and #2) ? According to it, it seems that camera moved when I pressed the shutter speed (I have a low quality tripod).
Other pictures are better because I used the 10sec delay on the NEX3 which is impossible to use when shooting fireworks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you mention it, yeah, I see what you mean.

Can you use a remote control with a NEX? That and a sturdy tripod would be perfect for fireworks and 1 second exposures. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that NEX3 can be remote controlable Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
I don't think that NEX3 can be remote controlable Sad

Don't speak too soon! I use this setup for macros and fireworks.
- 2x cheap L brackets
- 1x cable release wire with bulb lock

£7 the lot! srs-griturn have a much more petite/elegant version but 4x more expensive! besides L brackets are awesome!

I think u can get a little hotshoe converter and 1x piece bracket to do same as me.

My fireworks rig.

video/stills rig L style: