Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 88 - Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I did miss this thread, due to location, but #4 and #6 are two great portraits, with perfect lighting, they would deserve to be in the Galleries.

thank you Smile i shot those portraits at Zagreb photo fair in March this year. they had model and lighting all set up there

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I have a Kiron one in Minolta MD mount in EX+ condition I will sell for $50.00 + shipping if anyone interested pm me.Reason for sale I have 2 Tamron 19AH which I use most of the time but the Vivitar is still a fine lens.

Well I have the 19ah as well and it is a VG lens and with my Kiron 80-200mm f4, I'm so pleased I'm not interested in any more zooms in this range erm well unless I see a series one going for peanuts Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Ghost2501 wrote:
There's an auction for one in my country :

It seems that the grey part is a EOS adapter.
How to know if it's a Kiron one ?
Seller price starts at 45€.

that is first version of that lens and it is made by Kiron. those "ears" near the mount were only on that version.
http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

also 22 serial number is kiron, as stated by lloydy

Seller has confirmed that it is a Kiron one.
I'm still waiting for my M42 and Nikon adapter for my brand new NEX-3 to enjoy my 8 MF lenses that I already bought (in one month).
And now, there is this tele, the Hexanon 50mm f1.4 and the Jupiter 11A from Ian.
What to do ? Buy all ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can afford all of them, buy them

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Ghost2501 wrote:

that is first version of that lens and it is made by Kiron. those "ears" near the mount were only on that version.

WolverineX,

Great set of images! Is this the version (with ears) that you tested? Was only the first version made by Kiron?

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens coming. Looking at your samples makes me a lot more exited than at the moment when I bid and won it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, the one i have is like that one on that picture

yes, kiron made only the first version, on that link you can see who made other versions (version 2 - Tokina , version 3 - Komine , versions 4&5 - Cosina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,

I know it is impossible to accurately judge absolute sharpness and contrast from web images, but the results you obtained with this lens seem to be much better than the published resolution numbers would suggest.

Just picked up a clean copy n Minolta mount. Can't wait to try it out on the Nex.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Ghost2501 wrote:

Found another one (Kiron too) with OM mount :

But I don't know if it's macro focusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to myself : yes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ! Mine for 29 € Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

Good for you Very Happy I'm sure you will like the lens a lot. I bought the Kiron version recently and I couldn't be happier with it, well, maybe if it was a bit lighter Wink .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Ghost2501 wrote:

Good for you Very Happy I'm sure you will like the lens a lot. I bought the Kiron version recently and I couldn't be happier with it, well, maybe if it was a bit lighter Wink .

It's a Kiron version too. I've just ordered the OM-NEX adapter from Big_Is, the one with tripod mount because I suspect my NEX3 not to be able to support the 960 gr of the lens on his own tripod mount Very Happy

No, I have to find a suitable monopod. Cullmann Magnesit 550 + CB7.3 head seems to be a good product ( http://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/magnesit-550-cb73-1.html ) for both my NEX and D7000.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a remarkable lens!

I really like the lighting in #4 (first portrait)
You should have only placed a black screen to block the hair light from also falling on the neck
(or raised angle of hair light, or used a snoot)
Otherwise it's simply perfect (and beautiful model).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Ghost2501 wrote:

It's a Kiron version too. I've just ordered the OM-NEX adapter from Big_Is, the one with tripod mount because I suspect my NEX3 not to be able to support the 960 gr of the lens on his own tripod mount Very Happy

I think you're right, that's a lot of weight to hang off the front of a NEX. Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

No, I have to find a suitable monopod. Cullmann Magnesit 550 + CB7.3 head seems to be a good product ( http://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/magnesit-550-cb73-1.html ) for both my NEX and D7000.

well, this lens is not that heavy to require monopod. just try using Tair 3, then you'll know what is heavy Smile. though it's not the heaviest lens i own, maginon 100-500mm lens is the only lens i really had to use monopod with. i took it one time when i was at the sea, for a walkaround, and it was real workout for my arms...no need to go to the gym for a month, after that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received my copy today. Wow, what a monster Very Happy . Mine is in pristine condition (like new). The seller was kind enough to offer me a free gift : a Vivitar 2x Teleconverter.
Now, I'm just waiting for the NEX adapter to come.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
I've received my copy today. Wow, what a monster Very Happy . Mine is in pristine condition (like new). The seller was kind enough to offer me a free gift : a Vivitar 2x Teleconverter.
Now, I'm just waiting for the NEX adapter to come.

I'm sure you're going to love that lens, nice bonus to get the teleconverter too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally received my adapter from Big_is. It tooked almost a month to come.
I'll have to practice a lot with the couple NEX-3/Vivitar because the handling is quite difficult with my big hands.
I hold the NEX with my right hand and the tele with left hand, beside it, on the focus ring.
The ring is so smooth that when I press the shutter, it produce a tiny turning movement (clockwise) that make me miss the focus.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:
I've finally received my adapter from Big_is. It tooked almost a month to come.
I'll have to practice a lot with the couple NEX-3/Vivitar because the handling is quite difficult with my big hands.
I hold the NEX with my right hand and the tele with left hand, beside it, on the focus ring.
The ring is so smooth that when I press the shutter, it produce a tiny turning movement (clockwise) that make me miss the focus.

I had the same problem with my NEX-5N and solved it this way.
Flip up the rear screen and hold the camera against your chest for added stability. Hold the lens and focus with your left hand and release the shutter with the thumb on your right - it works for me! Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the tip Edgar. I'll try when this f!@#ing is over.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indoor test with NEX3 @ 210mm - 1/160 - f3.5 - ISO 1600

Your technique works quite well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !
That's why I've now got two of them. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, I have seen quite a number of raves for series1 ver3 by Komine ser# starts 28,I have not owned or used this version but is supposed to be superior to Kiron,certainly weighs less.Anyone able to comment? regards

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is the same focal spread as the Minolta beercan. I know the beercan is AF, but still wonder if anyone has done or seen comparisons.