Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 49 - Olympus 24mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 49 - Olympus 24mm/2.8 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples from a very good lens!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice samples from a very good lens!

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples using E-M5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is nice.

I have a quick question.

I have a friend who recently bought a NEX 7 and he has a few of these types of lenses (I don't know which exactly.) Can these lenses be fitted onto a NEX?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they can be used on NEX cameras

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
yes, they can be used on NEX cameras

Thanks.

I'll let him know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a OM lens? Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Is this a OM lens? Surprised

yes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the OM f2.8/24 must be one of the best 24mm for a NEX, it is so tiny and a truly great performer.
However like with most OM lenses it makes a huge difference if it is an earlier version with simple coating or a later version with MC, in the case of the 2.8/24 if it is a "H-Zuiko" with simple coating or a "Zuiko" or "Zuiko MC" with multi coating, Wolverine for sample shots or testing please be so kind and mention which version it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my version of the lens is:Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 24mm/2.8 207679 Japan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering, good, by the way, is similar to my nikkor ais 24/2,8. The last seems to has more contrast, I guess.

Nice pics.

But I'm looking for any 24 more sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Any 24 more sharp than Olympus. Reply with quote

Seriously? LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
The rendering, good, by the way, is similar to my nikkor ais 24/2,8. The last seems to has more contrast, I guess.

Nice pics.

I understand...I had the Nikkor 24/2.8 (the 1st version, single coated) and have the Olympus 24/2.8 MC now...
The Olympus is better, better color, better sharpness, better at preventing flare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

Nice pics.

How can you say anything about real sharpness at this resolution? The perceived sharpness is good but again, at this resolution it's all up to post processing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:
Nice pics.

How can you say anything about real sharpness at this resolution? The perceived sharpness is good but again, at this resolution it's all up to post processing.

I think Pontus wants a sharper lens than the 24mm Nikkor he already has...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

Nice pics.

Yes, that's my problem, too, with these evaluative statements on quality based simply on what we see on the computer screen. The number of variables affecting an image from when the shutter is pressed to when it appears on someone's particular computer screen is just too great to make any credible assessment possible. This is one of those rare cases when I would pay more attention to the original author's words than what is visible to my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic made me search more info about this 24mm OM lens and I've been impressed by it's reviews. I ended up by buying one on ebay last week and I'm now waiting for it to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Nikkor and Zuiko 24/2.8. Both great lenses, very sharp on full-frame cameras. I agree the Nikkor might have a tad more contrast than the Zuiko; Olympus glass does seem lower on contrast, in general, compared to their Nikon equivalends while rendering, in general, smoother pictures. There are exceptions, of course; e.g. Nikkor 105/2.5 is plenty smooth, so I'm talking more about my general impressions of the whole lens range.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
the OM f2.8/24 must be one of the best 24mm for a NEX, it is so tiny and a truly great performer.
However like with most OM lenses it makes a huge difference if it is an earlier version with simple coating or a later version with MC, in the case of the 2.8/24 if it is a "H-Zuiko" with simple coating or a "Zuiko" or "Zuiko MC" with multi coating, Wolverine for sample shots or testing please be so kind and mention which version it is.

Hi kuuan, see, ah don't get this. Are ye reserving judgement on the photos 'til ye find out which version of the lens it is? Seems straightforward tae me - ye like the images or not. Ah don't know which is "better" the simple coating or the MC. Ah like the photos though.

How would knowing which version it was make a huge difference, if ye like the photos initially, unless only tae confirm one's bias or one's investment in a more expensive (if it is) version of the lens?

Nae offence here kuuan , playing Devil's Advocate... Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a great lens. Congrats !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAo2 wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Hi kuuan, see, ah don't get this. Are ye reserving judgement on the photos 'til ye find out which version of the lens it is? Seems straightforward tae me - ye like the images or not. Ah don't know which is "better" the simple coating or the MC. Ah like the photos though.

How would knowing which version it was make a huge difference, if ye like the photos initially, unless only tae confirm one's bias or one's investment in a more expensive (if it is) version of the lens?

Nae offence here kuuan , playing Devil's Advocate... Cool

Hi Tao,

This thread is about testing a lens which may serve someone as a guide and as such it is important to make clear which lens or version of a lens is used. Consequently my post had various objectives which I deemed helpful resp. necessary:
- making aware of the existence of different versions
- that performance between simple and MC coated versions DOES differ
- to give info on how to identify if a Zuiko 2.8/28 was a single coated or MC version
- and most importantly to have clarified which version of the lens is being tested here!

( I did not reserve my judgement on the photos and had made my judgement on how this lens performs earlier using my own copies: Without knowing then that there are different versions I had bought an early version with simple coating first. Turned out that it has typical issues related to inferior coating but that otherwise it is very good. Because of this weakness I had not used it much but because otherwise it convinced me I later also bought a MC version which simply is very good. From the first batch of samples shown here I was not sure which version was used, the second patch had made me believe that it must be a MC. )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kuuan,

thanks for the reply and explanation . Cool