Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 45 - Tair 3-Phs 300mm/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 45 - Tair 3-Phs 300mm/4.5 Reply with quote

bad hangover Wink Wink Wink










PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice ones !
Did you make a whole "tongue" serie ?

That's a good lens.
On which camera did you mount it ?


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Really nice ones !
Did you make a whole "tongue" serie ?

"tongue" serie? because there are 2 photos with animals showing tongue? Smile i'm not sure,i'd have to check the photos from that day, but i know i have more tongue photos of these two here. bigger bear was being fed by visitors at the time i took shots of him, and small one was licking himself Smile

Olivier wrote:
That's a good lens.
On which camera did you mount it ?

as always i use Oly E-520 (don't have any other digital camera to mount manual lenses on...yet)


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mint copy of this lens, and I hardly use it. Why ? Rolling Eyes

I'm going to make a promise to add some pictures to this topic, maybe not as good as WolverineX has posted, but this lens is obviously far too good to leave unused.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've got a mint copy of this lens, and I hardly use it. Why ? Rolling Eyes


mine is beat and battered copy, a lot of the grey paint is scratched off...but optics are spotless



Lloydy wrote:
maybe not as good as WolverineX has posted, but this lens is obviously far too good to leave unused.


thanx Very Happy


only thing about this lens is that you have to get used to different focusing system, which is especially weird to use in portrait orientation


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb pictures! You've caught wonderful expressions on the animals' faces. Lovely colours and well saturated (but not over saturated). Did you do any PP?

I was really impressed with my first shots with my 3-PhS on my Oly E3. They very well saturated straight from the camera. No PP necessary and I usually find MF tele lenses require a contrast boost when used with the E3. I did use a very long hood though - the original rubber hood screwed onto the end of another straight metal hood. Also, it is sharp and remarkably free from colour fringing. A gem of a lens.

Mark


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

only thing about this lens is that you have to get used to different focusing system, which is especially weird to use in portrait orientation


Actually, I really like the focus control but then I did use a monopod. I can imaging it would be quite tricky just handheld. I am also considering making a right angle bracket so that I can have the focus knob on the side, which I think would be even more convenient.

Mark


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the 'standard lens' - not the photosniper, so it's a normal lens to use.

For me the biggest problem is affording the Sherpa to carry the damn thing ! Laughing


PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
Superb pictures! You've caught wonderful expressions on the animals' faces. Lovely colours and well saturated (but not over saturated). Did you do any PP?

i love the expression of the monkey, i caught him mid-blink so it looks like he has a bad hangover Laughing

i usually do just a little levels and contrast adjustments. on that day it was cloudy

SXR_Mark wrote:
I did use a very long hood though - the original rubber hood screwed onto the end of another straight metal hood.

i used only the original rubber hood


PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples using E-M5











PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
That's as impressive as the formers.
That Oly EM-5 is a very good camera and the Tar-3 PhS shines on it.


PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I salute your photography skills....well done.

I am beginning to think that you can make any lens a winner.


PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkman1 wrote:
I salute your photography skills....well done.

I am beginning to think that you can make any lens a winner.


thank you Smile


PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
, and small one was licking himself Smile



i wish i could Wink Wink


PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eerything in this series is almost perfect. I can not belive tha price range this lens is at this moment. It's an scandal for a glass of this quality which can render this results.

Congrats, very well done - the one I prefer is the first, with the monkey,

[]s,

Renato


PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens. I just wish the NEX was more suited, ergonomically, to using it. As it is, I keep an old 2002 EOS D60 around for the long lenses. It is also light in comparison to my other beloved 300mm, the Pentacon 300/4. The focus system on the Photosniper version is awesome. All long lenses should use it, although I would prefer the rack to be metal.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second set show how good that E-M5 is (or how much you've improved as a photographer...or both), they're all nice shots but I think all your updated examples look better from that camera.

I took a couple of shots yesterday with my own Tair-3 (the one in my sig)...
Using a 5D Mkll, wide open, normal shot and 100% crop.


#1

#2


I love this lens but I need to get a case for it, it takes up too much room if I squeeze it into my camera backpack.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Your second set show how good that E-M5 is (or how much you've improved as a photographer...or both), they're all nice shots but I think all your updated examples look better from that camera.


improvement of my skills as photographer is inevitable with every new photo i take and E-M5 is certainly a big improvement over E-520 i did first series with