Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 39 - Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 VFC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 39 - Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 VFC Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow #1 is excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I like the use of the field curvature here, it kinda gives me motion sickness. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks crisp and contrasty to me... and some swirly bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
and some swirly bokeh.

it depends on VFC setting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples using E-M5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples !.
However according to my own experience (converted to EOS) this lense will show the most effect (concav, convex setting) only if I use it with full frame sensor.
Using with NEX 7 body will not show the true performance of this lense.
Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The FF let the lens best effect.

In other way.......what sharp is!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous samples! If it's true that a FF sensor is best with this lens then... Shocked
Can we see some pics of the lens? I'm not familiar with "VFC" setting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Gorgeous samples! If it's true that a FF sensor is best with this lens then... Shocked
Can we see some pics of the lens? I'm not familiar with "VFC" setting.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm%20VFC.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theme up Smile
One more review about Minolta VFC 24mm
and
simple quick comparison with rectilinear Minolta MD 24mm F2.8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't happen often, but this was one occasion where the VFC function turned out to be useful;

Not the greatest subject I know, with a dusty old sofa, but my wife asked for a memento picture Rolling Eyes . She had a RICOH GX100 herself but this scene was way beyond the abilities of that compact camera, as good as it was (and still is).

Neither tripods nor flash were allowed (I didn't have them on me anyway) and it was very dark inside. The contrast between outside and indoor illumination was enormous; it may look bright outside but it was mostly overcast and the sun was hazy. The indoor lighting was kept very dim to preserve the textiles, drawings & paintings. Boosting ISO further wasn't advisable as I wanted to pull detail out of the shadows later without excessive noise. You can get away with ISO 1600 on an A7s, but noise on RAW or Jpeg noise processing does become noticeable. I couldn't drop the shutter speed any further as my hands aren't that steady, and I was already at f/2.8 wide open. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the required DOF, not even remotely. Then it dawned on me that the scene was vaguely bowl-shaped and I had a 24/2.8 VFC lens on the camera! I dialled in just over a notch or so of concave field curvature to help me out, and most of what I wanted in focus now was Smile !

Minolta MD Rokkor 24mm/2.8 VFC on SONY A7s at f/2.8, 1/40 sec, ISO 800, concave field curvature setting
Mompesson House (National Trust), Salisbury, UK