Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 24 - Tokina AT-X 80-200mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 24 - Tokina AT-X 80-200mm/2.8 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any picture of the lens itself ?
Rendering seems ok ! Wink

Interesting to see that we have same vegetation here in northern France.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Any picture of the lens itself ?

taken with my mobile phone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the first 3 look fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: testing my lenses - part 24 - Tokina AT-X 80-200mm/2.8 Reply with quote

Are they all wide open? It would be great to mention the aperture for each shot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: testing my lenses - part 24 - Tokina AT-X 80-200mm/2.8 Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Are they all wide open? It would be great to mention the aperture for each shot.

well, i don't keep notes about aperture (it would kill the joy of taking photos if i stopped after the each shot and wrote down the aperture for each shot), but from memory photos with pink and yellow flowers were stopped down, rest are wide open (i shot the bird photo through the closed window)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 3D in the first one. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(i shot the bird photo through the closed window)

I like that shot of the sparrow very much. Funny birds. They were here in masses in earlier days but in the last decades they dissappear more and more. They often stole my bait when I was fihing, creeping in the plastic bag, but nowadays the don't even show up when the ducks ared feeded.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: are those asbestos roof? Reply with quote

OT but i can't help but notice the roof in the bid pictures looks like asbestos?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Quote:
(i shot the bird photo through the closed window)

I like that shot of the sparrow very much. Funny birds. They were here in masses in earlier days but in the last decades they dissappear more and more. They often stole my bait when I was fihing, creeping in the plastic bag, but nowadays the don't even show up when the ducks ared feeded.

here there are lots of them, especially where i shot that photo, there is a big flock of them there

jun wrote:

OT but i can't help but notice the roof in the bid pictures looks like asbestos?

that roof is made whith "salonit" plates that contained asbestos in past and looking how old the roof of that shed looks it probably is asbestos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice to know the aperture used on each photo. also some photos with sun or some strong light in front. these photos are nice, but doesn´t really say much about quality of the lens Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
it would be nice to know the aperture used on each photo. also some photos with sun or some strong light in front. these photos are nice, but doesn´t really say much about quality of the lens Sad

Wolverine wrote :
"from memory photos with pink and yellow flowers were stopped down, rest are wide open (i shot the bird photo through the closed window)"
which are some indications. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
berraneck wrote:

Wolverine wrote :
"from memory photos with pink and yellow flowers were stopped down, rest are wide open (i shot the bird photo through the closed window)"
which are some indications. Wink

when i stop the lens down it's usualy 2-3 stops max

as for sunlight in front, i'll take some photos this weekend , it should be sunny here, but because of the large front element ,i'm guessing, it would be good to have a hood (so i bought a rubber one for mamiya medium format lenses as this lens has filter diameter of 77mm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:

here are some shots from sunday, first two are shot towards the sun without the hood, all photos are untouched, just resized for posting here

for a lens with large front glass this lens is pretty resistant to flare, it showed up only when i almost directed the lens straight at the sun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some new samples taken at the Adriatic sea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same lens..

its a nice to have 2.8 lens, but not very useful at open aperture.
There is a miscorrection of a spectral color (blue) at f2.8..
if you stop down the lens to f5.6... its a lot better. So this makes the lens average..

This is a comparison shot Tokina at f4 against a converted
Canon FD 4/80-200L

(left Tokina, right Canon)

IMHO the lens is not very usefull at f2.8.. stopped down to f5.6.. its a good performer but why should i buy a 2.8 lens to use it only at f4-5.6 or above?

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree, i shoot it wide open most of the time and i get results that satisfy me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for better resolution.. to see the problem with the lens..
Left Tokina right Canon

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/tokina_atx-sd_2.8_80-200mm/ca1.jpg

And this is not a problem of sharpness or contrast..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples with E-M5 (Adriatic edition)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these has come up for sale cheap locally and I've been looking around the net for info. Every page I find has the same discussion - some say it is crap until stopped down to 5.6, others say it is fine wide open. I'm wondering whether to gamble on it, the other thing that puts me off is the weight, at 3 pounds it sounds like a lens needing a tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of my favorite lenses. if you can get it cheap, go for it, try it, and if you don't like it , you can always resell it (well, now i really told you something you don't know Wink )

lens has tripod mount but i always use it hand held, but i use it with cameras with viewfinder and great stabilisation
it benefits from having a lens hood. i got myself collapsible one from medium format mamiya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
I've got the same lens..

its a nice to have 2.8 lens, but not very useful at open aperture.
There is a miscorrection of a spectral color (blue) at f2.8..
if you stop down the lens to f5.6... its a lot better. So this makes the lens average..

This is a comparison shot Tokina at f4 against a converted
Canon FD 4/80-200L

(left Tokina, right Canon)

IMHO the lens is not very usefull at f2.8.. stopped down to f5.6.. its a good performer but why should i buy a 2.8 lens to use it only at f4-5.6 or above?

Cheers
Henry

i know this was 2 years ago , but i think it isn't fair comparison, tokina has huge front glass, it takes 77mm filter, while this canon takes 58mm filter, so off course tokina will be softer wide open because of more light gathering than canon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens in AF version and there are varying opinions here as well. Still I admire your ability to use it hand held. It weighs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena wrote:
Still I admire your ability to use it hand held. It weighs!

thank you
i actually like it's weight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

i know this was 2 years ago , but i think it isn't fair comparison, tokina has huge front glass, it takes 77mm filter, while this canon takes 58mm filter, so off course tokina will be softer wide open because of more light gathering than canon.

As far as I understood, both lenses were shot at F4 in this comparison. Of course it's unfair to shoot f2.8 v F4!