Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses - part 12 - Olympus 500mm/8 Reflex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: testing my lenses - part 12 - Olympus 500mm/8 Reflex Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conglats - this is one of the best high contrast Reflex lenses around.

I like #1 most.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! top results!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx, i got my lens all the way from New Zealand for $267.50 USD

and i love it, i'll make a comparison soon between this lens and two other types of 500mm lenses, one a sniper like Samyang and other Maginon 100-500mm zoom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some new samples taken at the Adriatic sea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better reflex lenses out there. Note the complete lack of purple fringing and CA. Try getting an APO refractive 500mm lens and see what kind of weight and money you're looking at Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible results Shocked How is there no CA in #2?! Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed though I still don't understand how an f/8 aperture can get so shallow depth of fields.

Keep them coming!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this lens recently too, and i'll be testing it shortly. Very nice build, and i love the integrated sliding sun hood. Why dont they make those anymore, it was a lot more convenient...

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Incredible results Shocked How is there no CA in #2?! Shocked Laughing

There is no prismatic lens element, this is a mirror lens, that's why. Also the size of this lens is impressive (so small for its focal length !)

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Very nice indeed though I still don't understand how an f/8 aperture can get so shallow depth of fields.

DoF is related mostly to magnification (and then to aperture), that's why. It becomes very obvious when you try to do macro work Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WolverineX,you have certainly mastered your 500 reflex, some of the best shots I have ever seen using this type of lens.Well done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi WolverineX,you have certainly mastered your 500 reflex, some of the best shots I have ever seen using this type of lens.Well done.

thank you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
wow! top results!

+10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first tries with that same lens, everything hand held:

Overall i find it difficult to have something really sharp with this lens, but it can reach tiny things that would be otherwise unreachable (like that dragonfly).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surefoot wrote:

Overall i find it difficult to have something really sharp with this lens, but it can reach tiny things that would be otherwise unreachable (like that dragonfly).

just stick with it and with use you'll get a hang of it and start hitting the right focus more consistently

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this lens produces incredible results!

Any pics of the lens itself?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wow, this lens produces incredible results!

Any pics of the lens itself?

here is my lens (taken with my mobile phone)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that. I didn't realise mirror lenses could be this good!

I need a 500mm telephoto to add to my collection, longest thing I have is my Tair-3C.

Have to wait for a while to get a 500mm mirror lens though as I blew the last of this month's budget on a gorgeous mint Wollensak Aporchromatic Raptar f10/21.25inch (541.2mm).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Many thanks for that. I didn't realise mirror lenses could be this good!

pretty much any mirror lens from major makers is this good or even better. it's been often discused here, best mirror lenses are zuiko, nikkor, rokkor, zeiss and alike, but that quality comes with a price tag.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, I've only seen the results from the cheap mirrors like the Centon and Sigma, I've always been impressed by the Russian MTO/Rubinar mirror lenses but they are 3-4x as much as the cheap ones.

I will have to save my pennies for a good mirror lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surefoot wrote:
My first tries with that same lens, everything hand held:

Congrats on the dragonfly pic, so hard to get something like that in the viewfinder at all, never mind focused.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

just stick with it and with use you'll get a hang of it and start hitting the right focus more consistently

I am thinking of getting a monopod just for this lens (and maybe my 200mm). Do you shoot hand held ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surefoot wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

I am thinking of getting a monopod just for this lens (and maybe my 200mm). Do you shoot hand held ?

yes, i almost always shoot hand held, but my oly dslr has in body shake reduction so that helps me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new samples with E-M5 (Adriatic edition)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stunned, these images are terrific. That's a lens going straight to the top of my 'most wanted' list.