Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my 60 year old Ensign Selfix Mk 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: testing my 60 year old Ensign Selfix Mk 1 Reply with quote

I was in Germany, BERLIN in 1957 in the British Army and took photos with my original British Ensign Selfix 16/20 Mk II with 75mm f3.5 Ross Xpres lens -- Now I am returning to BERLIN shortly so want to re-take the same photos from the same angle using one of my 2 'Gift' Ensign Selfix Mk 1 Cameras with 75mm f4.5 'Ensar' lens. I have tested one today with 02/2007 outdated Ilford XP2 Super 400ASA as I also wanted to test a new mix of C41 bleach using Fuji Hunt Negableach RA
I took half a film -- 8 exposures and CUT it and processed the 8 frames and all seemed good and new Bleach seems to work .
I took these two 1/300th @ f14 but metered as if the shutter was 1/200th

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive results! I'm sure you've noticed this, but at the exposure you selected, you were still getting some burn-through in the highlights. So that old film might not have needed as much of the ISO reduction you gave it.

Be sure to share the upcoming Berlin photos with us when you get back. And let us know if you can even find any of the 1957 Berlin left for 2017.

(Unlike many German cities, my mental impression of Berlin is it has become a totally modern city, although I'm sure there must still be some of the old city left . . . somewhere.)

Now -- a question about your second photo's subject. Does the term "spread eagle" have the same connotations in England as it does here in the States? As an American, I couldn't help but smile a bit when I noticed that beer garden's name. To wit: there has been a time or two in my life when I was "spread eagle" on the grass from having a nip one too many of the old creature.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

(Unlike many German cities, my mental impression of Berlin is it has become a totally modern city, although I'm sure there must still be some of the old city left . . . somewhere.)

I've been there and it was the biggest disappointment on my Rundfahrt. Although, I went there with it having the reputation of "the world's youngest city" in my mind, due to the excess destruction in WW2, and then the further destruction/burying of remaining landmarks by the Allies and USSR and then by demolition of Cold War relics by the GDR and the successive government. I found the subsequent exhibits and memorials to be somewhat overwhelming - unfortunately so much of what Berlin was and what took place there is now just in photos and less so, memories...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Berlin with Ensign Selfix Reply with quote

I hope These subjects are still there especially the Russian war memorial near Brandenburg Gate and Russian War memorial Gardens in the Russian Sector, East Berlin (our HOTEL is in east Berlin !! a bit scary ! )
Berlin 5 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Berlin 8 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
[url=https:Brandenburg Gate 1956 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr//flic.kr/p/5GCzFf]Berlin 6[/url] by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Berlin 07 : Russian Sector by Peter Elgar, on Flickr