Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD (W.Rokkor) 35mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD (W.Rokkor) 35mm/2.8 Reply with quote

I recently bought yet another cheap lens I don't need. Rolling Eyes

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/2.8 is a solid lens, not special in any way (aperture, mfd) but good enough for most things. I like it. It's small, light, sharp from wide open and a very versatile lens on a crop camera I use. I going to put it on a film camera as well, should be very nice. Btw, I can't understand how it's possible that some lenses with similar specifications and lower mechanical and optical quality (like czj flektogons for example) can reach such insane prices on the used market while a lens like this can be had for 30€, give or take.

The only downsides are the not especially short MFD (~30cm), quite noticeable field curvature (a little softer corners when focused at the center or the frame) and it doesn't handle shooting into the sun very gracefully to say the least.

The lens:

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

A few test shots (not straight out of camera, processed liberally but nothing extreme):

1. Portrait:
NEX6_0002_6867 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. Landscape:
NEX6_0002_6876 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. Abstract:
NEX6_0002_6887 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. Closeup:
NEX6_0002_6981 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

5. Mid distance bokeh:
NEX6_0002_6944 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

6. Flare:
NEX6_0002_6988 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

A few more in the flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskjM9ZgQ

Last edited by miran on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/2.8 Reply with quote

miran wrote:
I recently bought yet another cheap lens I don't need. Rolling Eyes

Btw, I can't understand how it's possible that some lenses with similar specifications and lower mechanical and optical quality (like czj flektogons for example) can reach such insane prices on the used market while a lens like this can be had for 30€, give or take.]

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics with good colors and details.

It seems to me that you did work with the CA. I guess that this lens suffer from longitudinal CA or Spherochromatism.

Am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Very nice pics with good colors and details.

It seems to me that you did work with the CA. I guess that this lens suffer from longitudinal CA or Spherochromatism.

Am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing.

I think you are wrong. I didn't notice any visible CA's with the Rokkor 35/2.8 lens.
You may check also this tests:
http://forum.mflenses.com/35mm-2-8-rokkor-vs-nikkor-vs-mir-37-t72410,highlight,+rokkor++35.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-different-35mm-lenses-on-aps-c-sensor-t71258,highlight,+35mm++test.html
I think it's one of the best old 35mm lenses and very capable to deliver excellent pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Testing Minolta MD W.Rokkor 35mm/2.8 Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Btw, I can't understand how it's possible that some lenses with similar specifications and lower mechanical and optical quality (like czj flektogons for example) can reach such insane prices on the used market while a lens like this can be had for 30€, give or take.

That's one of the miracles of the used lenses market. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't notice any problems with CA either. Nothing has been done about CA in these photos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was very pleased with this lens but then for some reason I sold it (someone made a very good offer). Regretted it the moment I let it go, so eventually I bought another. The first one was MD-II type (W.Rokkor on the nameplate), the new one is MD-III (or plain MD). The same optically and it's in very good condition so I'm happy again. Smile

The lens:

Minolta MD 35mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3749 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3794 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3817 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3863 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_3869 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

Album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskJc4Xzu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Very nice!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with the FD 35mm f2.8 and f2s, these are the great bargains of the manual lens 35mm world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'collectors test' or "LensRomantic" Smile - comparison of two different copies of Minolta New-MD 35/2.8

And a few photos additionally.

Like this one:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with the findings in this thread.

My experience is that the FD 35mm2,8 has flatter field and somewhat better resolution close to minimum focus distance but that the MD is sharper to the corners when field curvature has been taken into account.

This is a pic on A7II.

[img][/url]Eglise de Saint-Cloud by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Minolta MDII 35mm 2,8 Black & White Reply with quote

And this is for black and white.

[img][/url]Tempête sur Paris | Storm on Paris by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say i love the Minolta 35mm F2.8 and think that it is highly underrated It has nice Bokeh IMHO controls flaring very well, and overall feels well built and certainly has the colours
Some Samples from mine, on the Sony A7

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Fully agree with the findings in this thread.

My experience is that the FD 35mm2,8 has flatter field and somewhat better resolution close to minimum focus distance but that the MD is sharper to the corners when field curvature has been taken into account.

Like 1

Maybe we just see things the same way and different from another who see's it some other person's way...I've used the Convex and many other Canon 35's, I preferred the SSC 35 F2 for....."Tone" and the Resolution, which means better Dynamics but when I compare my Minolta results the best way to see what I'm expressing is in micro contrast and the Minolta appears
sharper...so the Minolta has better overall contrast control emphasis, the Canon more color control emphasis and in Physics, for every gain you must give up something so my point is something in the middle, a splitter of split hairs would be a perfect 35 for me ... one thing I know the unwanted step-child Minolta 7-6 had going for it was ..."coma" over the later 5-5, what is an advancement if in reality it cost something....that's the question? ,,, is the advancement worth the cost of what was sacrificed for the gain?

If I used a manual 50mm, focus was a challenge....if I use a 50mm on m4/3 it's a 100mm and I can zoom in 20x to focus but it's not film is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice images. For some reason Minolta never did all that good a job at coating their lenses. Most were rather ghost prone. I started with Minolta in 1972 but was not satisfied with the lenses so I switch to Nikon in 1973 after a year and a half and have never looked back.