Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD 50mm/3.5 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD 50mm/3.5 Macro Reply with quote

Finally spring is here and some opportunities to put my macro lenses to a proper test. First I have the Minolta MD 50/3.5 Macro.

Minolta MD Macro 50mm/3.5 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

What can I say? It's a nearly perfect lens as far as I can see. Perhaps if you want 1;1 shots of creatures that tend to go away when you get close, a 100mm or longer is better but for simple close-ups it's just about perfect. The following photos are all without the extra extension tube, so less than 1:2 magnification.

1. f/5.6, minimal crop
NEX6_0003_6985 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

2. wide open
NEX6_0003_7041 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

3. around f/11, slightly cropped
NEX6_0003_6994 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

4. wide open, minimal crop
NEX6_0003_7006 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

5. wide open, minimal crop
NEX6_0003_7046 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

6. wide open
NEX6_0003_7050 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

A few more in the flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQng8Mb

Btw, frogs are weird. Sometimes they hide under water as soon as they sense any movement within a 2-3m radius around them, but if you manage to sneak yourself closer without disturbing them, they freeze and let you take photos of them for as long as you want from just a few centimeters away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots, Miran!

I have the 100mm version and it might be my best Rokkor of all of them. This one looks like a gem too.

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

I have the 100mm macro too with matching 1:1 extension tube. But I must admit I haven't taken a single shot with it yet, despite having it for several months already. Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 That frog! Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Like Dog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought this lens and i agree its very good. It balances perfect on my sony a7.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
I have the 100mm macro too with matching 1:1 extension tube. But I must admit I haven't taken a single shot with it yet, despite having it for several months already. Surprised

You should really use it. It's in that focal range most probably the best macro lens of it's time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
miran wrote:

You should really use it. It's in that focal range most probably the best macro lens of it's time.

Which Minolta 100mm Macro do you mean (f3.5 or f4)? And which other lenses did you use to compare it?

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Which Minolta 100mm Macro do you mean (f3.5 or f4)? And which other lenses did you use to compare it?

I meant the later F4 version as Miran mentioned the 1:1 adapter which wasn't available for the older F3.5 version. Mine is the MD III (latest) version. I have also the earlier F3.5 version but I didn't compare them myself up to now.

I didn't compare the lens myself but took this information from your site, Stephan. I think it's trustworthy, isn't it? Wink

I personally use for macro mostly my Tamron SP Di AF 90mm/F2.8 (272E) lens on my Sony A850 in combination with my Minolta R-1200 ringflash (latest version). Unfortunately the Minolta lens isn't compatible with the A850/ringflash combination for TTL metering. However, the Tamron is really a fantastic lens (hardly to beat) and I didn't find any shortcomings up to now. It's even very nice for portrait shooting as it renders a very nice and smooth bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
I meant the later F4 version as Miran mentioned the 1:1 adapter which wasn't available for the older F3.5 version. Mine is the MD III (latest) version.

I have the 100mm 3.5 MC purchased when it came out new, some decades ago (still have the lens).
It was packed with the 1:1 adapter, so it was certainly available for the 3.5!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
tb_a wrote:
I meant the later F4 version as Miran mentioned the 1:1 adapter which wasn't available for the older F3.5 version. Mine is the MD III (latest) version.

I have the 100mm 3.5 MC purchased when it came out new, some decades ago (still have the lens).
It was packed with the 1:1 adapter, so it was certainly available for the 3.5!

Sorry, was my mistake. My F3.5 version came without the adapter. Therefore I thought that's not available. Thanks for correction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have the f/3.5 version, which comes in a big ass plastic tube with the the 1:1 adapter attached! It's pretty neat.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mine is the f/4 in MD-III style, complete with leather case and 1:1 tube. It's a nice lens, very nice indeed. Smile

But if we can learn anything from this thread, it's that between the two Minolta MD macros the 100mm is the exciting one that everybody talks about when the 50mm goes mostly ignored. I'm not sure that's entirely fair really. The 50 is good as well and fully justifies some attention. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
The 50 is good as well and fully justifies some attention. Wink

I know, I have the 50 in version MD I as well. Wink

However, I prefer to use the longer focal lengths for longer distance to the objects. Especially for living subjects such as insects this is a big advantage over the 50's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just because 100mm is a more "classic" macro FL. It is nice to be able to get images of little stuff (what the macro is for!) while being able to stand back a bit more. Bugs, etc.. as tb_a mentioned. It in no way makes the 50 bad though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Well, mine is the f/4 in MD-III style, complete with leather case and 1:1 tube. It's a nice lens, very nice indeed. Smile

But if we can learn anything from this thread, it's that between the two Minolta MD macros the 100mm is the exciting one that everybody talks about when the 50mm goes mostly ignored. I'm not sure that's entirely fair really. The 50 is good as well and fully justifies some attention. Wink

I have both, and they are my "go to" lenses for macro!
The 1:1 Minolta macro adapters are a lot easier to find here in Japan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 3D like quality.. I feel like i can reach out and touch the potted flower

--mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both 50 mm macro.

The MC and the MD

I like the MC colors more than the MD, so I sold my MD.

Now I have only the MC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be clear for those that don't yet own them, but the 1:1 Minolta adapter for the 50mm macro is simply a standard extension tube; no optics.

Julian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much thought in composition,could have been shot with any 50mm lens non macro.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Some people...

Laugh 1