Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tessar 4.5/40
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Tessar 4.5/40 Reply with quote

I just won this 40mm chrome Tessar in M42 mount:

I am eager to try it - the slightly wider angle makes it interesting for me. If it's the same IQ as the 3.5/50 it will be a feast.

I will keep you updated.
This is a rare lens, apparently.
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio!
I also have this lens in red T version. Unfortunatley It does not thread into my m42-eos or C/Y adapters the lens is too fat. So I did not try it yet. I need to order another adapter to grind a wider mouth for the rear element housing. I quess I could try it on a Pentax spotty I have not loaded one with film for so long. Embarassed
Mine is SN 3834005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you think I am nuts, I want to show you what my Tessar 3.5/50 can deliver.
This is a shot I just took in my living room, hand-held, at 1600 ISO.
The lens was used wide open:

No noise reduction was applied and the light is just ambient bulb lights.

The plasticity and 3D effect of this lens are just incredible.
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Congrats Orio!
I also have this lens in red T version. Unfortunatley It does not thread into my m42-eos or C/Y adapters the lens is too fat.

Ouch. THis is bad news (the M42 Eos)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Amazing Shocked

And this is nothing, you should see a larger version!

Note that this is 5D, so you are looking at the actual corners of the lens wide open... not the slightest hint of vignetting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross your fingers. On m42 adapters there is the extra flange to depress the auto pin. If this was gone (about 1mm larger hole diameter) there would be no problem. Maybe you have an adapter that works already. This one I have is the only one I now have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Cross your fingers. On m42 adapters there is the extra flange to depress the auto pin. If this was gone (about 1mm larger hole diameter) there would be no problem. Maybe you have an adapter that works already. This one I have is the only one I now have.

Ah OK then. Yes I have one without the flange. It is also FA chipped. I used to have the problem you describe, with the 3.5/50 and the flanged adapters, but I can use it with the normal adapter no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to get an adapter. With so many new lenses I forgot about this little gem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly larger and furtherly cropped version - not the full size, but enough to appreciate better.
Remember the ISO is 1600 so thi obviously reduces the impact of the image, try to imagine it at 100 ISO:

click on thumbnail - you might need to click on the image also afterwards:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's plenty amazing at ISO 1600! Shocked How many talents, drachmas, etc,
did this put you back?

Bet it looks right spiffy being silver on the 5D! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I will have to get an adapter. With so many new lenses I forgot about this little gem

Andy, you make me sick. Laughing

(with envy Wink )

Last edited by Katastrofo on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
So I just went outside to take a couple frames with the 40 4.5. These are both close focus because of flange problem. Only about a 1/2 turn into the adapter. The light is gray today as well so it is hard to focus close at 4.5. But you still get an idea. Both wide open no sharpening. Maybe a little shaky. One with highlights one with solid colors in back ground. I'm still so impressed with the 50 3.5 sample you show. The transitions are so smooth and yet very defined.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like that first shot, Andy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make myself sick too Bill. Good thing there is plent O medicine in the lens cabinet Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new acquisition, Orio. What a coincidence! I just bought the same lens in its "T" coated incarnation from seller exaklaus on eBay. Here are the pictures from the auction:

Shall we create a new club on MFLenses?

I am waiting to receive the lens to determine if it will work on my Canon 1DS. But I doubt it when I see this protruding rear element Sad. I guess I will have to use it on the Pentax K10D. Too bad, because I love the 40mm focal length on full frame 35mm. Or maybe I can try it on the old Pentax SV, which has a shorter mirror than the Canon...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same lens too, and the 1950 Zeiss Contax S camera that it was originally made for. At the time, this was the extreme wide angle available for a 35mm SLR.

I haven't tried it on the DSLR, but on the Contax the combination of short focal length, manual (not preset) diaphragm and the camera's dim focusing screen makes the lens almost impossible to use. I need to pop it on the Canon and try it out.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
It's plenty amazing at ISO 1600! Shocked How many talents, drachmas, etc,
did this put you back?

I don't remember, actually, several months have passed, it was however around the 30 Euros something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Orio
So I just went outside to take a couple frames with the 40 4.5.

THanks Andy. These look promising. I hope that the lack of coating does not make my copy unuseable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

I am waiting to receive the lens to determine if it will work on my Canon 1DS. But I doubt it when I see this protruding rear element Sad. I guess I will have to use it on the Pentax K10D. Too bad, because I love the 40mm focal length on full frame 35mm. Or maybe I can try it on the old Pentax SV, which has a shorter mirror than the Canon...

I think I should be able to use it on the 5D because I shaved the mirror. Hopefuly I did shave it enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..........
Today I could not wat anymore. After seeing the fantastic results from Orios 50 3.5, I ground my adapter down. Of course the af chip did not stay put. Rolling Eyes Oh well for now. Hey this lens is hard to focus even in harsh light like today. Anyway here is another sample No sharpening just moving the black point a bit and exposure in raw.

I think this lens will be a winner for all in the "club".
shot at f8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, it looks like a drawing, I can even see the diagonal pencil marks on the petals!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It is very promising. I took this exposure earlier today (yesterday now). I wish I had taken one a 1/3 stop lower. I think there would be even finer detail.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won a second copy of my beloved Jena Tessar 3.5/50, this time in Exakta mount, for just 14 Euros. Shocked

It's incredible how such a fine lens can be given away so cheaply. But I'm happy to have a backup and to also have the possibility to compare two copies of this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Orio
Your purchase recently of the 40 4.5 has made me very excited to use mine. These are fantastic little lenses.