Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Telenar 90mm f/3.8. First shots. One question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Telenar 90mm f/3.8. First shots. One question. Reply with quote

Hi guys! Does anyone know the optical scheme of this remarkable lens? I could not find such information.

CamJPEGs:

CamJPEG with a few correction of colors:

Words of gratitude to Lorraine for this lens.

ps: camera - sony a7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question, but those are fantastic portraits!! Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but probably a triplet.
A 90/3.8 didn't really need to be anything else in those days.
And you can take great pictures with a triplet.

You can find out without too much trouble I think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw, luisalegria, many thanks for Your messages.
I understand perfectly well that the optical scheme will not give me anything. The scheme does not teach me how to photograph better. Curiosity moves me to determine this scheme. The assumption of a triplet scheme pleases me, because I have a small collection of triplets. But! By external signs Telenar is very similar to the Telefogar, for example. Can these two lenses have similar optical circuits? How do you think about this assumption?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try check by counting reflections.

Alternately you can do a limited disassembly if you are really curious and the lens is easy enough to disassemble, which of course is not always so.

A triplet of will have three elements in three groups. The most likely alternative is that it is some sort of Tessar, where the rear group is a cemented pair. I don't see why it would be anything else, those were quite standard at the time.

The test will be that the rear element should be rather thick in a Tessar, and of course will be quite thin in a triplet, about the same as the front element.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinw wrote:
I can't answer your question, but those are fantastic portraits!! Like 1 Like 1

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the size/spacing of the front and rear element, i would expect the Telenar 90/3.8 is a 4(or 5) elements telephoto lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Calvin.
An easy check is to see if the front and rear elements are the same size or nearly so.
Triplets are symmetrical, Tessars nearly so, as far as front/rear diameter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across http://www.martin-karwoth.de/wp-content/uploads_martin/2014/02/Braun_Paxette_Ob1.jpg - assuming that the lens is the Roeschlein Telenar for the Paxette. Its not a good image of the brochure and there's no diagram, but it does tell us that the lens had four elements. (The 90mm Telinear for the Agfa Ambi silette had five elements - just in case anyone needs to know ! )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks to all!!!

scsambrook, Thank You for "url". Unfortunately this link does not open on my PC. However, the information on the four elements is sufficient to satisfy my curiosity.

Once again, thank You all for the discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That is what I expected.

http://www.martin-karwoth.de/braun-paxette-ii-das-spitzenmodell-des-hauses-braun/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Yes. That is what I expected.

http://www.martin-karwoth.de/braun-paxette-ii-das-spitzenmodell-des-hauses-braun/

Oh, it's good. I went to read the blog.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few pictures of insects with Telenar 90/3.8 and with macrorings

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice results with this fine lens! The close ups are quite striking. Great work. I have a 135mm f/4 Telenear in Agfa Ambiflex mount - will have to give it try. Thanks for sharing.

P.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a copy of this lens, and took a few shots. The first 2 are center and corner test shots at F8 near infinity. As shown the far corner of the lens is not that good. At F/3.8 results are similar with the expected slightly lower contrast and slightly lower resolution. I think the image circle just doesn't quite make it to the far edge of the frame at any aperture. Apart from that, the lens is capable of reasonable, maybe not great, results, and, as shown in this thread and others, it's not a problem in the hands of a creative photographer.

I disassembled the lens to clean it, successfully. The lens is not a triplet, its a 4/4 scheme, quite similar to the various 4/3 sonnar type schemes with a central cemented tapered element. In this lens however, those two central elements are not cemented, there's a small air gap between them. In contrast to most Paxette lenses this one was easy to disassemble for cleaning.

The last exposure was taken at way less than the designed MFD of 1.5m, using an M42 helicoid, at F/3.8, and is also a 100% center crop. No PP done on any exposure here.