Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 - tiny preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 - tiny preset Reply with quote

This came from the good old Goodwill (charity store) for next to nothing. Well, the lens did, I've had the camera since I was a kid. The condition is excellent except for a dent on the filter ring.

This is one of the Takumar compact line of telephoto lenses, which were intended for the traditional ideal of the 35mm photographer, small size and light weight. So in addition to Asahi's oversize 300/4 and 200/3.5 presets (which I have), in the early 1960's they made mini-versions, the 200/5.6 and 300/6.3, both of which could use 49mm filters like most of the Takumar line. All of these were soon replaced by the automatic tele lenses, the Super-and S-M-C 200/4 and 300/4.

This is not a difficult lens to find, and they can be had for a reasonable price, perhaps under $40 in good condition. Construction is just what one would expect from a Takumar, superb and mechanically smooth. The lens is smaller and lighter than a lot of 135's. Besides the small aperture, the only compromise is a not too short minimum focus of 9 feet/2.5m.

This lens is just a joy to use. It snaps into focus instantly (my perception anyway), and the preset is very functional (unlike many), making it superior to an automatic lens in manual mode. In good light I think its no harder to use this than the 200/4's. And of course it is easy to carry.

It is a Takumar of course, and very sharp at f/5.6, or its sharp to the limits of my 6Mp sensor anyway.

Where it doesn't work - this is not a good lens for portraits in low light !

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, the bird has never looked so vibrant!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots - I have this lens ($25 at a camera show) and my presentation of photos from it suck, especially compared with yours.

Thanks for showing what the lens can actually do. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results - it's always a joy to use those old Takumars isn't it?

I have its f/3.5 cousin but haven't used it yet. Will do so soon. One question though: I suppose the 200/5.6 has a perfect round diaphragm? If so, how many blades does it have?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall right, there's 10 blades

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
If I recall right, there's 10 blades

OK, but is it round?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens along with its little brother 135mm f3.5 preset (both black and silver front rings) as well as big bro 300mm f6.3 preset.

These are all great lenses.

My flickr set for Tak 200/5.6,

http://flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157600190129280/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

OK, but is it round?

It starts off roundish, but closed way down it's got 10 corners

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a very nice lens, most takumars indeed are valuable tools. My only wonder is about viewfinder light (at f5.6 i don't expect a lot of light passing thru, though it can still be usable).

Btw, my favourite pics are boat ones, i love these colours. I have a Tak too (35 3.5) and i love its colour aswell, i guess it's a feature of all Takumar family Smile .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me to again bring this topic already exhausted.

But I have the possibility of acquiring 5.6/200 takumar at u$s 41. Here this price is so low. The lens is to buy, or look for another?

Thanks guys. Rino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great demonstration Luis as always. I just picked up a 200/4 in virtually new condition for $20. Arrived today, can't wait to see how it performs. (I now have the Taks 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 105/2.8, 135/3.5, 150/4 and 200/4. None cost me more than $45, and all so far are terrific.)

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one with the case and lens shade. Very light but also very sharp. Great set of photos.