Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Teahouse2, Oly 35RC scans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Teahouse2, Oly 35RC scans Reply with quote

This is the Fujicolor 400 roll that Wallies couldn't develop, scanned at 2400dpi
on Epson 4490:

I know this is repeat subject matter, but I like these better, the bog pic I
like better than the one taken with the Ricohflex.

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Mon May 26, 2008 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better, Bill, much better...
What a difference!!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! #1 is amazing!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are a big improvement Bill.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, Attila, and Ron, thanks for your comments! I found it an eye-opener
about the difference in ISO, but shouldn't have. Using 400 instead of 100
allows me to stop-down more in low light. I think there's a difference in
color quality, too, between the two films.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massively improved, Bill. I like Fujifilm's handling of colour, slide and print film both.
What's the story with the Japanese structures in the woods?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I'm a new believer in Fujifilm, too! Thanks for your comments!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late but I agree with the above comments too. Cool

So when are you going to hit us with some Velvia 50 Bill? Cool

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
So when are you going to hit us with some Velvia 50 Bill? Cool

Bob, there's no place in town that does E-6 processing now, so that has been
placed on the backburner for a while. There's a place I think in Atlanta that
I can send it to, but have find out where.

@Dave,
The Teahouse and garden are situated on a few acres in Monte Sano State
Park. We have a growing population of Japanese in the area, due to Toyota expansion,
and one electronics/computer firm. Japanese craftsmen were sent from Japan to help
supervise the construction details and layout, I think it was partially funded by the state
and Toyota. There's a couple of Japanese festivals every year and I hope to catch the next
one. They were rained out of the one this month. Thanks for your interest.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity about the E6 processing lack - you'd like Velvia.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

@Dave,
The Teahouse and garden are situated on a few acres in Monte Sano State
Park. We have a growing population of Japanese in the area, due to Toyota expansion,
and one electronics/computer firm. Japanese craftsmen were sent from Japan to help
supervise the construction details and layout, I think it was partially funded by the state
and Toyota. There's a couple of Japanese festivals every year and I hope to catch the next
one. They were rained out of the one this month. Thanks for your interest.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I find these sort of things fascinating and like to find out the history attached to them. Sometimes the stories behind them are surprising.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can buy pre-paid envelopes from several online retailers and drop the film in the mail to get E-6 processing.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do a 'net search to see what outfit is closest. Thanks, Mike.

@Bob, hope to try Velvia some day, really like the work I've seen shot
with that film!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that these are miles better, Bill! You are starting to catch the groove! Very Happy

Bill, try Walmart. YES Walmart! I have gotten some Provia back from them with GREAT results, as good as my local E-6 lab people. I "took a chance" with some medium format Provia with them, and boy did they come through!

Now I have to see about consistency, which is possibly where they would fall down.

Cost? $4 for a roll of 120 transparency developing! Shocked

This Provia image was from one of the transparencies from Walmart. I couldn't be more pleased with Walmart so far! Don't know how long it will last, you never know with a giant chain store, but I'll use them while the using is good!

It took a little while to convince the girl at the counter that 120 film is "real film". She looked at it and was completely flustered, wanted to know how the film "got so big". Then she said, "Oh we could never process something like that." I told her that all I want her to do is mark it Custom Process, because all of those go to the parent company (Fuji) because they are contracted with Fuji for their automated Frontier printer, and for all Custom Processing.

I waited about 6 days...and they called me and said the "film is ready". I pulled the transparencies, and they marveled at the size and brilliance of the big transparency! One of the young guys there said something like: "So what did they do, I don't see how they could scan your digital image and come up with THAT!" Shocked Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Larry, that is a great price for the processing! The ma and pa place
that quit doing E-6 would have charged $10, now they will mail it for you
to some place in Atlanta, $10.49 plus $2.50 shipping for one roll of 120
film! You have multiple rolls they are $2.50 each for shipping which I thought
kind of sucked. I may use Wallies to do my color neg 120 film. I've heard
of people not even talking to the girls at the counter but go to the station
where you fill out your own envelope, cross out 35mm and write in "120"
C-41 processing only. Have you tried this? When I try slide film, I'll remember the "Custom Process" wording.

Agree, they did a fine job if your pic is representative of the roll!

Thanks for your kind comments on my progress, am really loving getting
back into shooting film!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I waited about 6 days...and they called me and said the "film is ready". I pulled the transparencies, and they marveled at the size and brilliance of the big transparency! One of the young guys there said something like: "So what did they do, I don't see how they could scan your digital image and come up with THAT!" Shocked Laughing Rolling Eyes

Frankly, I'm not too surprised at the level of ignorance shown - most young wans have never dealt with film and it's as if an accelerated forgetting process has been taking place in the population at large. I grew up with knowledge of the previous processes to the ones I was using, but that's because I read a lot about photographic history. I wouldn't have been fazed if somebody had started talking to me about Daguerrotypes, since I would have known what they were and had even encountered some in relatives' treasured family albums. It does surprise me slightly that the store people didn't have any clue about MF film at all, but heyho, it's not been mainstream for a generation or more.