Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tanack cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Tanack cameras Reply with quote

I'm gathering research for a web article on Tanaka Optical Company Ltd. Makers of the Tanack cameras and Tanar lenses. There is much information on the 'pedias and lots of photos on the net. So I'm okay there.

If any member here has a Tanack or Tanar lens I would be much obliged to see photos of them and the serial numbers. Original accessories, boxes documents etc would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My IV-S with close focus (Sonnar type) Tanar HC 5cm F2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just joined this forum and probably have some interesting things for you, once I photograph. I have the same IVS Tanack with the 50/2 black Tanar. I also have a 35/f2.8 black Tanar
and the ubiquitous 13.5/f3.5 Tanar which seems to have been a very widely produced lens in LTM and Nikon RF mt init's day. I also have a Tanack Multi finder 35-135, and an original box and instructions for the IVS. As a matter of fact I just discovered I have two original instruction books for the IVS. Would love to sell one to anyone who may be interested?

I'll be in touch...
hilltime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be particularly interested to see the multi finder, I know someone that appears to have two. a 28-135 and a 35-135. Would be good to see what they look like.

I have recently bought a 13.5cm in LTM, a really nice lens, now i'm looking for the 35 at a reasonable price. All the 35 f2.8 were black, the rarer 35 f3.5 was in shiny metal finish.

I think the 13.5cm was sold or marketed as a third party lens for Leicas, rather than a system lens. There seems to have been thousands and thousands made. And, as you say, in Nikon and Contax fit too. There were not many third party lenses made for those cameras.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Tanack Items Reply with quote

Here are a few photos for your information. I forgot I had the 85/100 finder as it is probably the only one you might ever see. It was made for the mythical 85/2 and 100/3.5 which again very few people have ever seen. This finder is in Mint condition as it was probably never used, waiting for someone to actually get those two lenses. It might be the rarest piece I own.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an amazing collection there. Tanack marketed lenses etc for the third party market as well as Tanack system lenses. I know that some were made by Sun for them. The 100, made by Sun was available under a couple of names including Soligor but as far as I'm aware a Tanar has never been seen 'in the wild'.

The universal finder is a dead copy of the VIOOH. I wonder who made it. Strange as it may seem , some of the other makers' Japanese finders were German.

I've picked up one of the Tanack finders, different again, resembles a TEWE

They mentioned a lot of things in their publicity material that never appeared. In fact they couldn't even get the specifications and model numbers right in some of their ads.

Doing everything on a budget and promising lots, but not really delivering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet they made or had made the 85/100 Finder which is absolutely gorgeous, but made very few of the 100/3.5 lenses and probably none of the 85/2.
It has always amazed me the amount of Japanese camera companies who failed in the late 50's to early 60's. Some of the products were so well made
although the demise of the rangefinder camera was happening with the likes of the big four, Nikon, Asahi, Minolta, and Canon concentrating their marketing
on their SLR products. Truly one of my favorite rangefinder "survivors" I own, is the Canon 7SZ. I'ts a bit large but has all the attributes of the very best....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilltime wrote:
Yet they made or had made the 85/100 Finder which is absolutely gorgeous, but made very few of the 100/3.5 lenses and probably none of the 85/2.
It has always amazed me the amount of Japanese camera companies who failed in the late 50's to early 60's. Some of the products were so well made
although the demise of the rangefinder camera was happening with the likes of the big four, Nikon, Asahi, Minolta, and Canon concentrating their marketing
on their SLR products. Truly one of my favorite rangefinder "survivors" I own, is the Canon 7SZ. I'ts a bit large but has all the attributes of the very best....

Yes, its a shame. And Leica were very late in the game with the Leicaflex, everyone else had moved over to SLRs early on. Canon were probably the best of the 50's rangefinders, well built and competing with the Leica M series in build and lens quality. Canon's last rangefinder was made in the late 60's . Only the Soviets and Leica carried on building rangefinder bodies. Leica, because they could get away charging high prices to a few customers who would have them, and the Russians because that's what they did.