Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 60-300mm visit to Airport
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 60-300mm visit to Airport Reply with quote

Yesterday, took Tamron SP 60-300mm F/3.8-5.4 zoom (Friday is grocery day). Columbus is small city, and airport is just few miles from my home. Go anywhere, most of the time you have to cross airport. I stopped in between to capture the landing shots.

Initially questioned by cop, as I was not standing designated plane viewing area. Although he didnt stop, but got a hint.. and moved to the point.

(Clicking on the picture will take you to bigger version, Flickr site)

Was capturing the planes, and took a support of electric pole. At that time, I noticed this bro sitting almost at the lower end of the pole. Thats why this perspective. This one is captured around 1:2 magnification (may be little less)...

Great walk around lens...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures! As you say this is a great universal lens for travel or walk around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this lens is a quite fast tele zoom with an almost incredible 90-450 at a crop cam (at Canon and Pentax even more).
Nice captures!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great everyday lens for short to long telephoto, I've been thinking of getting one for walk around wildlife shooting although I haven't made up my mind yet, anyway, nice shots, number one is my favourite.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a completely horrid array of Adaptall (and Adapt-a-matic) lenses!! Darn things are stacked up out there like cordwood.

159A--28-70mm F3.5, great macro function, was one of my first, came with a Konica FT-1 motor FREE!! (Bought the camera at a thrift store, traded it for a Tamron 300mm prime)

28A --SP28-135mm 1:4-4.5, fiddly macro, but great carry lens

46A --70-210mm 1:3.9-4. Very nice, light little lens, very underatted. Also came with the Konica FT-1. These sell for nothing on eFray.

26A --SP35-210 1:3.5-4.2 Heavy like the SP60-300, bought it for the wider angle and faster stop (I just looked it up. This lens was not advertised as being adaptall, but for Minolta. I paid all of 22.00US for it!!!)

23A --SP60-300mm 1:3.8-5.4 as in the orginal post, very heavy. Actually, this was one of my first purchases, and disappointments. I'm simply getting too shakey to deal with this lens, and it's so heavy that the lack of a tripod ring for the lens means that the camera must support the considerable weight of the lens. (I looked it up, only paid 17.37US on eFray)

52A --SP70-210mm 1:3.5-4 This is the early model, with the separate focus /zoom rings, a fantastic lens. A friend has a later model, and likes it a lot. I bought this with a damaged filter mount of eFray, and it turned out to also have a damaged adaptall mount. I pirated a mount off an old Tamron 80-210m and got a partial refund from the seller. I have very little money into this excellant lens.

58A 70-210mm1:4-5.6 An aspherical zoom, this little toy is smaller and lighter than the Canon "kit" lens. I bought this on eFray for TWELVE BUCKS!! (and it came with an M42 adaptall!!) I realize it isn't a big, hairy, SP lens, but it is soooooooo small and light!! I really haven't shot this much yet.

55B --SP500mm F8, fixed aperture mirror lens. I bought two of these off eFray, one to gain the case/filter set, and traded the second off to a friend. I have less than 100US into either, and these are probably the most underated lens in the Tamron line. For the prices these are selling on eFray, they are just incredible. Somewhere, someone posted some wonderful sample shots.

I also have a 28mm, 35mm, 135mm, and 200mm in the old Adapt-a-matic line, and a 300 F5.6 prime in the early Adaptall.

Now, if I could JUST find one of those 17's and a 21..........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice Tamron collection! Congratulations!

I absolutely agree on the 46A. Got it on ebay for almost nothing and surprised me with its performance.

I kind of disagree about the 23A (60-300). I'm very satisfied with it. However, I do not shoot with it too often, since I'm not a tele shooter.

The third SP-model I own is the Tamron SP 3.5/70-210 CF Macro MC 19AH which I got very cheap since it was sold as broken, but it isn't. Very nice lens!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really disappointed with the 60-300 so far as performance, it's just that it's too heavy for me, as I'm getting too shakey.

Nice pictures, by the way. I assume you shot them with your K100D? I've actually thought about getting one, instead of my Xt. I'm hoping the onboard antishake will be of help. What can you say about that?

I was "stuck" in Columbus most of one Sunday, absolutely nothing to do there. My camera was packed in my checkin!!

I had been invited out to one of the "Mopar Nationals" I've forgotten, I think that year was when they were held at Indy. Along with a fantastic weekend, I got to see (and hear) one of the few remaining turbine cars run. Looks sorta like an old T-Bird.

Too bad we didn't have these DSLR's then!! Now, my legs are failing, I could never walk all over the grounds of that display.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@440roadrunner: Nice collection.. COngrats..

These are captured with XT. I bought Canon before I started the journey on MF path. At that time, life was so closed to Nikon and Canon debate.. about electronic functions (I have no idea, why do people need those.. may be 1% yes..)

Whats your views about Tamron Adapt-O-Matic 28mm f2.8. I have Nikon mount. My copy is great.. I just love the feeling.. but that one of the most under-rated lens to me. The glass of that lens is almost the size of 20mm f2.8 lenses... Metal paint the glass, can be used for satellite receiver... Razz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Metal paint the glass, can be used for satellite receiver"

That is pretty funny. I'll let you know if I start receiving any signals.

I haven't shot the 28 or 35 'Matic lenses so much yet, but the 135 'Matic lens is a good lens, in my opinion.

Most of my shooting is pretty amateurish, so if I can get good shots--without dumping a huge amount on lenses, I'm happy. I really haven't looked to closely at the '28, so far as the edges of the frame, and so on.

One reason I wanted some short primes was for "drive by shooting." I've lost good quick shots with the kit lens because it won't hold hyperfocus when lying in the seat, and AF doesn't always work. My thoughts on these old MF lenses is to set them up for good DOF, hyperfocus, and then I can just bang away, hopefully. I've lost many shots because I "just could not stop."

On the one hand, I think many of these Tamron lenses are being ignored, on the other hand the nice SP primes are quickly disappearing from eFray while also going up in price. Several weeks ago, there were several of the SP 180mm's on eFray, and none now for over 2, maybe 3 weeks. Likewise the SP300 F2.8, which has skyrocketed in price (one eFray)--I realize they were thousands of US dollars new.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP lenses are going on low price as usual what is really changed not many available from them people are keep them instead of sell for a few bucks. I like very much Tamron SP lenses I have or had many of them. I still hunting a few of them , but hard to get them. Perhaps rarest are Tamron SP 150mm f3.5 Soft focus and Tamron SP 80-210 f2.8. Today I lost Tamron SP 24-48mm because I spent a lot money and I couldn't buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clean results Ballu, your Tamron zoom looks like a very good lens.