Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 350mm F/5.6 - Read
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Tamron SP 350mm F/5.6 - Read Reply with quote

These Tamron Mirror Lenses have a bit of a reputation for separation at the mirror surface behind the glass, leading to poor image quality. That' what this one has, but with a slight twist. It's the front central mirror surface you can't see which has the trouble, apparently usually the back one does and it's more able to be detected. In this lens the back mirror is good, I've had the lens disassembled and checked.

If someone has a copy with the back mirror deterioration, but the front mirror is fine, this copy might enable you to make one good copy.

Price for the item is five US dollars, but the thing here is the postage. I'm in NZ and rates are high to other countries due to our isolation. To the US it's NZ$ 49.96 for economy tracked, about US$ 30.00 or so. If someone from another location would like it, let me know I can check the website and let you know the price.

I can take payment using Paypal. Anyway, if this would help anyone, let me know.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the gesture, Alun. I'm trying to cut down on purchases or I'd be curious to try your 350.

Just for the sake of discussion, how does the mirror defect affect image quality?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the late reply - I posted this then forgot about it. The IQ could not be described as good currently, even for a mirror lens, and especially for a Tamron SP mirror lens, which are apparently quite good (I've never tried one on good condition). The design choice of having the silvered surface behind the glass is a good one, let down only by the separation it is prone too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alun.
For what it's worth, I've recently been playing with a Rokunar 300mm f/5.6 mirror lens. It's not particularly sharp, but I enjoy using it anyway because of its quirky rendering.